• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How about a pinned article on how to buy boots?

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I know, find a qualified boot fitter & sales person and follow their advice. Sometimes a unicorn is easier to find.

How about a pinned article on what we should know and can do to know if the sales person is taking us in the right direction?
--What to wear. (thin ski socks, and shorts so alignment can be checked)
--How much time to plan on spending trying on boots (3 hours?)
--What the Brannock Device shows us and what it doesn't show us. ("The Brannock Device is the standard foot measuring tool for the world's footwear industry.")
--How to shell-fit for both length and width.
--What should we know about liners?
--Some understanding of foot volume & boot volume
--Guidelines for flex numbers
--Guidance on understanding stance...boot shaft angle, ramp angle, what else? What can we do to check for good stance while we're in the shop? Heel lifts--who's helped & who's hurt?
--Footbeds--who really needs them, who else they'll help, who doesn't need them, custom vs. off-the-shelf, good, bad, & ugly of custom foot beds.
--What else?

Who has good videos...Jim Shaffner, Lou Rosenfeld, who else? Can you get permission to link to their videos? (If the videos are on youtube, is permission needed for the link?)

A friend really needs well fitting boots. I have one well regarded name for a sales & fitter person here in the Seattle area, and I don't know how to find him. Also, this info will be good for anyone buying boots any where in the world.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know, find a qualified boot fitter & sales person and follow their advice. Sometimes a unicorn is easier to find.

How about a pinned article on what we should know and can do to know if the sales person is taking us in the right direction?
--What to wear. (thin ski socks, and shorts so alignment can be checked)
--How much time to plan on spending trying on boots (3 hours?)
--What the Brannock Device shows us and what it doesn't show us. ("The Brannock Device is the standard foot measuring tool for the world's footwear industry.")
--How to shell-fit for both length and width.
--What should we know about liners?
--Some understanding of foot volume & boot volume
--Guidelines for flex numbers
--Guidance on understanding stance...boot shaft angle, ramp angle, what else? What can we do to check for good stance while we're in the shop? Heel lifts--who's helped & who's hurt?
--Footbeds--who really needs them, who else they'll help, who doesn't need them, custom vs. off-the-shelf, good, bad, & ugly of custom foot beds.
--What else?

Who has good videos...Jim Shaffner, Lou Rosenfeld, who else? Can you get permission to link to their videos? (If the videos are on youtube, is permission needed for the link?)

A friend really needs well fitting boots. I have one well regarded name for a sales & fitter person here in the Seattle area, and I don't know how to find him. Also, this info will be good for anyone buying boots any where in the world.
Right new there is a lot going on regarding boots here. We will be incorporating more information from Masterfit and Americas Best Bootfitters, we will be seeing this coming.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Happy to hear about the new info coming. While I agree with the advice usually given here for buying boots (find s good fitter), I think figuring out who is a good fitter is way more difficult than it seems.

Sponsor

Staff online