• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Living in the Midwest winters are fickle. One day it can be a snowy 5 degrees outside -- the next day a warm 55 degrees which melts everything. I have loved snow as far back as I can remember. As an adult I expect to look out the window and see snow during the winter. On one of those warm 55 degree days about 12 years ago I decided to do somethings about it. I ordered a Snow at Home snowmaker.

A few days later my package arrived. I then headed to Sears to purchase the appropriate air compressor. A water pump was also needed but I already owned a pressure washer and that was adequate for my needs.

I was eager to try my new setup, but we were experiencing some balmy winter temperatures. Finally about two weeks later the weather forecast was favorable. At 2:00 am the temps and humidity were finally low enough for snowmaking. My then young son and I set an alarm clock for the middle of the night. I bundled up, headed outside, and cranked it up. Immediately my wife got out of bed and told me to shut it down as the air compressor and pressure washer were quite loud -- she wasn't too happy with me.

When I finally did make a good amount of snow the next winter the local TV news crew showed up at my home unexpectedly one evening for an interview. That somehow ended up being broadcast nationally on THE WEATHER CHANNEL.

Quite a few years later I got a call from movie producer Dana Altman and he asked me to make snow for the movie LOVELY, STILL. One of our neighbors (friends of Dana) knew Dana needed snow for his movie and told him about our snowy yard and my snowmaking. I worked with the movie crew for a couple days making snow at a few locations for the film. It was quite fun being part of the team. Surprisingly for a smaller budget film there were a few big name actors in the movie including Elizabeth Banks. If you ever watch the film I am listed in the credits as Dave "The Snowman" Petersen.

Every year around Thanksgiving I get the itch to make snow. I like having a snowy yard for Christmas. Our home faces North and our front yard remains in the shade most of the day, so that helps maintain my snowpack even during the occasional thaw.

To this day I am still passionate about making snow. I enjoy peeking out my window and seeing the garbage collector or mailman hitting the brakes as they drive by and staring at my yard wondering what the heck is going on!

Some misc. pics over the years:
snowyard triple.jpeg
image.jpeg
snowy yard.jpg
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG
Snow is in the air.jpg

Large "whale" in the backyard:
image.jpeg

Google maps below - the only snowy yard in the neighborhood:
google maps.jpeg

Some shots from the movie "Lovely, Still":
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
lovely.jpg

Easter snow - plenty of great places to hide eggs!
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thank you for the info.

Do you get your Snow max direct or do you piggyback an order from a resort?

Did you acquire the machine new? Or are resorts doing refresh cycles to me efficient machines creating used supply?

And finally, what temps/conditions do you look for before turning it on?

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you for the info.

Do you get your Snow max direct or do you piggyback an order from a resort?

Did you acquire the machine new? Or are resorts doing refresh cycles to me efficient machines creating used supply?

And finally, what temps/conditions do you look for before turning it on?

I don't use SnowMax with my machine. The nucleator has a really small opening with a super fine spray that I don't need it (plus I would need some sort of mechanical device to use snowmax). The only downside with the small opening of the nucleator is it can freeze over easily if windy.

I bought my machine new -- there are actually a few companies selling snowmakers for home use.

27/28 degrees (with low humidity) is probably at the high end of my temperature range. The manufacturer's web site figures out temp/humidity for your zip code and tells you the quality of snow you can make.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh yes!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
What's your estimate on the full cost to get set up? I am itching to become the first ski area to open in North America each year, but it seems like $300 for the snow gun and then compressor, etc.

Which may all be a bit much as fun as it would be and for the fact that E. Banks is not going to show up at my house.

Is she?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's your estimate on the full cost to get set up? I am itching to become the first ski area to open in North America each year, but it seems like $300 for the snow gun and then compressor, etc.

Which may all be a bit much as fun as it would be and for the fact that E. Banks is not going to show up at my house.

Is she?
1449467303-Dumb-and-Dumber.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Is she?

Snow maker was around $700, compressor was around $700, and the power washer was around $125.

Reactions: nay

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Dave... you need to step up to a FAN gun or maybe even a SNOW CANNON !!!:eek: :D
Then you could really have some fun with the neighbors...

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Dave... you need to step up to a FAN gun or maybe even a SNOW CANNON !!!:eek: :D
Then you could really have some fun with the neighbors...
Snow-Tec offers a home snowmaking fan gun.
image.jpeg
I am willing to test one out if Snow-Tec wants to send me one. ;)

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally cold enough to crank up my home snowmaker tonight!
6C15DC59-0463-44F6-8825-9B314CA72279.jpeg 22E09FC0-3404-42D8-B792-1B06549699FE.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm.... I don't know if I'm more jealous that you have a snow gun, or that you got to work with (or even near) Elizabeth Banks. :huh: :P

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s pretty cool how it covers the bushes.
DE25B6AB-EC0E-49D4-9087-4CE7CB0E5571.jpeg AA791EDD-6113-4074-A67B-2F99FBF089F5.jpeg
68B6CDF4-2079-499E-969F-E1C629D529B6.jpeg
A1C4A307-E6FA-43EC-B2EE-F1018F51B5BA.jpeg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm hoping Santa brings the real stuff this Christmas.

When we got all the snow a few years ago a friend piled up a bunch of hay bales to make a halfpipe. Would be pretty easy with a snow gun.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your son would be the BMOC at school of you could create your own school closings.

When I was a kid we lived on a road that led to the schools. We tried to load up the road with enough snow from the yard to cancel school. They didn't cancel school but we did get a visit from a police officer.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m pretty pumped (ha!). Just bought a new Ryobi water pump for my snowmaker.
6A1418E8-0375-43AF-9415-2FB98F0468B6.jpeg

Now just waiting for cold temps to return in a couple days. Sounds like it should be highs in the 20s — perfect.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread update was the perfect start to my day!