• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hola Y’all

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
Hey. I’m Richard, aka Mallthus. Like so many others, I’m an ES refugee.

I started skiing in Southern California when I was 19. Fun story about my first time skiing. I’d been on a few dates with a girl that suggested we should go skiing. I told her I loved to ski despite having never skied before. A normal person would have been honest. A pretender would have rented some gear and taken a lesson. I opted to head to REI and buy skis, boots, and poles (Rossi STS, Tyrolia bindings, Nordica mid entry boots). I followed that trip with a visit to the video store, where I rented every skiing video they had, one of which was Warren Miller’s “Learn to Ski Better”. We headed up to Snow Valley, where I geared up, rode the lift, and snow-plowed down with only one fall. Clearly, testosterone is magic. I skied 5-6 times more that season. The following season I logged 25 ski days. Then I took a year off college to focus on skiing, traveling to Tahoe, Utah, Colorado, and France. Then I got a real job.

As it turns out, real jobs interfere with skiing. My skiing went from 20-40 day seasons to 3-4 day seasons to zero day seasons. Moves across the country following career opportunities culminated in an 8 year skiing drought. Then the Great Recession struck and the career ended. Conveniently, when the music stopped, my wife’s job took off, depositing us in Colorado.

Since then, I’ve been making up for lost time. I logged 28 ski days last year and I’ve got 22 booked for this season so far. I’ll be at Winter Park every Wednesday and Thursday in January and February...message me if you want to meet up. I can ski everywhere on the mountain, but I love skiing steep groomers at speed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’d been on a few dates with a girl that suggested we should go skiing. I told her I loved to ski despite having never skied before.
You had me at that.
Then I took a year off college to focus on skiing, traveling to Tahoe, Utah, Colorado, and France.
...and that.

Now, Two questions, did you marry the girl and are you still skiing the STS's?

TS
mallthus

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
You had me at that.

...and that.

Now, Two questions, did you marry the girl and are you still skiing the STS's?

The STSs became part of a chair back in the late 90s. The girl and I didn’t last. The girl I did marry wasn’t a skier until I convinced her it was more fun to be on the mountain than sitting at the base reading. All three of our kids ski, including one with some pretty significant disabilities that disappear when he’s on skis.

Sponsor

Staff online