• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hip trip report

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Medical tourism is a relevant choice for elective surgery. Especially a hip resurfacing which is not the most common operation. I did consider Dr. Bose in India as he is one of the most experienced doctors in the world for the Birmingham hip (there were other foreign doctors with excellent references as well). The foreign doctors were very reasonably priced and competent. I was lucky to find Dr. Ball (another of the world's top doctors) locally who was covered by my good insurance.

I think @Dumphish has a typo, I'm not sure he would brag about paying 70,000. I bet the doctor bill was $7,000. Sounds like a good outcome for a reasonable price.

I'm not yet at $7,000 out of my pocket but the bills are rolling in. Probably will get there. I have good insurance so my share is manageable. I doubt that I personally will be over $18,000 by the time I'm done (not sure the conversion to NZ dollars) but the cost to insurance plus my share is way over that. I hope it's worth it.

Recovering well. Able to walk comfortably now. Able to swim. Still no endurance. But getting there. Now I'm not cleared for stuff I feel like I'm ready for. Fortunately the snow hasn't fallen to really tempt me. Wait, I can't say that! I'm taking one for the rest of you because it's certain to snow a ton because I can't ski yet.

Eric

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm 6 weeks since the operation. Time flies. But the recovery seems really slow. Except when I look at where I am now, I've made great progress!

No more throbbing pain. I can walk better now than before. I have better range of motion and flexibility. This might work.

Unfortunately, I'm not cleared to do anything that can take advantage of my improvement. Well, I am allowed to walk – easy boring walks. Lisa's wrist is very irritating, I have to pick up all the dog poop when walking my son's dogs. So really, I'm just cleared to pick up poo.

No waterskiing (winter skiing in San Diego might be better than summer) and the SDSU kids are having me go out with them. So frustrating. The ski resorts are opening very soon. Even more frustrating. No bicycling, but I've cheated a couple times staying off the roads – the cycling is good, the possibility of a fall isn't. I did almost fall on my bicycle once. I was getting a box from above the bicycle, hooked my foot on something and twisted away with my cat like reactions saving my hip and my bicycle spokes. Bicycles are dangerous!

Deep lunges and stair climbing two at a time are the activities du jour. Walking around with a bicycle tube around my ankles is too silly to merit more than a couple minutes. I do still need lots of rehab. I can really feel the weakness when lifting things (or doing deep lunges or climbing stairs two at a time). But I can get my legs to 90 degrees apart doing a butterfly stretch – so I can do a legal spread eagle on snow skis. When I get on skis…

I'm working again – doing more than being Lisa's handmaiden and kitchen slave. But it's really hard to do more than three hours of anything physical. The to do list is getting bigger faster than I can deal with it. Really, that's normal so I shouldn't complain. But some stuff is getting accomplished.

I did go flying yesterday. The test was to be able to drive the Datsun with its touchy clutch, low seats, bad shocks and sputtering engine. If I could do this, working the pedals and the turbulent jouncing in the plane would be no problem. Of course, the Datsun wouldn't start. A charge and topping off the radiator and brake fluid and I was off. The plane wouldn't start. A charge and thorough cleaning of the windshield and I ran out of daylight. A few circuits around the pattern to stay current was all I had time for. On my first landing the GUMPS check on final showed I hadn't put down the gear. Gear warning horn is that irritating beeping noise. Gear down for an uneventful landing. I guess that's why we have to stay current.

I am exhausted at the end of the day. That's unusual for me as I was a night owl. Early bedtimes and lots of sleep are the new normal.

On a health aside, guys if you are considering this, get prostrate issues dealt with beforehand. Mine was pretty good. But now if I have a physical day and get some inflammation and swelling in the hip, it gets a bit difficult to pee. A little scary but no real problems for me but if I had issues things could be a problem. Consult your doctor – well in advance. They don't want me getting any surgeries for a while – including dental work.

I feel really bad for a woman I met who had four hip surgeries! She had both hips replaced (with a Depuy hip) and the implants were recalled. Total bummer. But she is all over it and walking fine. She's way tougher than I can imagine being.

This chronicle of my ordeal has changed my perspective. Without this, I'd probably brush off what I went through. “Yeah, the first couple weeks were tough but it wasn't bad” is probably what I'd say. Total amnesia on how excruciating it was. Now I'm better than with the old hip (can I get cleared do do things?) so I'm thinking it was worth it. Binge watching euro soccer was a waste as I am now totally out of the loop (who is ahead now?) but it didn't damage me (I'm not turning into a soccer hooligan). I'm through the worst – I hope – and am looking forward to getting back to the athletics I love without hurting so much.

Eric

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not fair! I'm not cleared to ski but I'm up shoveling snow. At least it's light snow. Wait, that means it's really good on the hill. (There's no bawling emoticon to express my frustration.)

Worse, installing the carpet might be harder on me than skiing. Work would really suck if it damages my hip.

Eric

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I screwed up. I got a little cold and sniffle (yes, I got my flu shot). So I was a bit low energy. I had to plane down a 2x4. Way in the back of my tool cabinet was a chainsaw grinder wheel. I hid it there because it was way too aggressive. But this wasn't an appearance part so I figured I'd try it. First startup it grabbed the safety guard. One cut, I'll be really careful without the guard and I'll try it to see how it works. Wow, it really removes the wood! But I had to reposition halfway through. So I held the work with one hand and one handed the grinder. Bad idea. It immediately kicked into my hand. Sliced through my gloves and half my fingernail like butter. Red butter? Darn, that was stupid.

Now I lose fingernails or toenails every couple of years. Ski boots get me if my toenails aren't painfully short. The boat trailer winch got my latest fingernail (why do I trailer my boat?). A silly desk move got my latest toenail. And I always seem to have a blood blister of some sort on my nails. So I don't overreact when I mess up a nail.

This is relevant to the hip because I was warned about deep infections. I'm not even supposed to get dental work for a couple years. Blood squirting out from dirty hands is not a cleared activity (ever?). So off to the urgent care. Some scabbing foam tape, a tetanus shot and some antibiotics and hopefully I will be fine in a week or two. Unless the antibiotics give me C Difficile or some other nasty side effect.

Now I'm further behind in work, at a bit of risk and feeling crappy from the sniffles. And I've missed a couple days of rehab. Dumb move.

Eric

PS, don't use the chainsaw blade on a grinder. It's just not a good tool.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I am familiar with dumb moves. Did they give you antibiotics? Are you up on tetanus shots?

I've had to miss rehab here and there. I'm choosing to call those times rest days.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied today! Just two laps on Shirley's easy slopes. No pain and driving my hips into the turn was easier than with the old hip. I still hate ice - and I'm not cleared for ice. Or bumps. Or steeps. Or air. Actually, I'm not really cleared to ski. But I told the PT that I was skiing over New Years. He worked me. And I did the homework. So I'm actually pretty strong.

So why is it so darn hard to buckle the left boot? It was easier buckling Lisa's boot (which she struggled with her broken wrist to get). We're a mess. She wouldn't let me do the bumps and her wrist refused to pole plant. I am a week or so ahead of her in the recovery - but she's a malingerer.

Today was actually a risky day. We cleaned the cabin.
work is dangerous.jpg

And walking through the parking lot was a challenge. Fortunately, my fame from the Powder magazine feature of me and my wagon made people stop and wave instead of running me over. I did wear a big foam pad inside my pants so I wouldn't hurt the hip if I got run over or slipped out in the ice. See, I'm trying to be responsible.

The last thing Ben the PT said to me was "The doctor says your hip hasn't fully bonded yet. The real goal is to get that full bond and unrestricted movement by Waterski Nationals this summer. Don't do anything stupid." So far, so good.

Eric

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, uh, don't show your PT that photo ... yikes!

I had to swallow my pride about walking. The Quicksilver lift is about a 10 minute walk down the hill from our condo. It's much more convenient than driving, bus, any of that. And VR can go right to hell with eleven dollar mini lockers - are you kidding me??? But right now, every step, especially downhill, in a ski boot ranges between moderately painful and pretty painful. Every now and then I manage a pain-free step, but I can't figure out what's different.

Bu I finally realized that I was being obstinate (who, me?). And, joy of joys, they changed up the bus route this season so that there's a "short" leg both to get to the Beaver Run lift, and to get back to the condo from there. The bus stop is a 2 minute walk from the condo, and that's only because of my gimped ski boot walk.

So I took the bus. It took a little longer and was a lot more crowded than I'd prefer, but I was in a much better mood by the time I got to the lift. That's a win.

Congrats on two runs! I've been managing 4 or 5 in a day. I'm learning that when I think "my knee kinda hurts - I should only do one more run" - I need to stop. Not do that one more run. I keep having to remind myself how early it is in the process, and like you, to keep my eye on the prize and not endanger the full recovery.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ahhh @Monique words of wisdom and restraint. We hate those.

My PT ordered a warmup for me so the 10 minute wagon pull walk is just right. But I walk in sandals. Ski boot walking? Impossible, even when
I was young and healthy. However, getting to the lifts happy is paramount. Bus rides rock.

Lisa called it after the two laps. I could have stayed out. (Yeah, right.) I'm exhausted as I type this so the day took its toll.

Of course I showed him the photo. Actually Lisa did - just to get me in trouble. It does make the skiing look good.

Eric

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back out today for a couple more laps. Actually, three. On the last trip down, something felt weird. No pain, just some unusual looseness. Similar but not the same as some hip joint slip catch when I started PT. Scary. Especially noticeable where those turning points (not the proscribed bumps - of course I stayed out of the bumps) got a bit irregular. No falls, jolts or bad slip outs mostly skiing in tolerably soft snow. I did force a couple of turns but overall I took it easy. I was pretty worried by what I was feeling.

So standing in the lift line out I moved around to check things out. I glanced down and saw my rear binding flopping around. Whew! The Frankenbinding from Fisher Price finally cracked. Nothing major, just some cracked plastic causing the mount to get loose. Not sure if I'll replace the ski (by repairing the backup) or fix and remount the crappy binding for tomorrow. Long term, I need to get new skis and bindings. I hope I can still find some NOS Goodes.

A beer and some garlic fries cured any lingering stiffness. Hip seems fine and is stronger than the equipment. Rode the Funitel down. Good day!

Eric

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
BUY SOME NEW BINDINGS. JESUS!

I mean. Probably you should get some new bindings.

I'm glad it was plastic outside of your body! At first skim, I thought it was plastic inside your body, and you seemed awfully cavalier!

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Monique You sound like @Philpug ! New skis and bindings are on the horizon - but I'm not supposed to be skiing yet. I realize that I'm taking some risk by skiing early. But the doctor worried that my long term risks might be from never getting back the little muscles and nerves that were sliced for the surgery. Having a hip that is 100% but tearing a muscle that atrophied will make the recovery longer and less complete. Staying on the blue runs for short duration seems to be a good skill and muscle rebuilding activity. My athletic arrogance assures me that I won't take the nasty fall that will damage me (even if my equipment has issues). And I'm trying to be sane - you've never seen anyone ski the bumps that slowly!

Eric

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, you're a grown-ass man, gotta make your own choices .... there have been a few places where I had the choice of fewer people with a few bumps to get to the groomer, or more people and all groomer, and I knew which felt safer to me. They were baby bumps, anyway. I suck at bumps, so they hold little draw, but I think I'm skiing them better than ever because I'm finding the slowest line.

For me, personally, confidence in my equipment is an absolute requirement. Bindings that might fail in any possible way? Nopers.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Went up Squaw today. Everything was wind closed. Went back down. Went on a nice long walk instead. The hip was a good excuse to call it on a crappy day.

I did take @Monique 's advice about equipment and replaced the broken wheels on the wagon.

Eric

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back when I was writhing in pain and struggling to hobble around with a cane, the doctor jokingly said that while I shouldn't be skiing, powder was OK. I take that as I'm cleared to ski powder.

Waiting for Far East to open got me my powder! Fun skiing. Most intense workout in months! Felt good but I am weak - all over. Called it when my PT decreed hour was up - and all the untracked was gone (it is Squaw and the powder doesn't last). Skiing like this might rebuild me quite well.

Eric

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm still pretty sure you're nuts, but that does sound fun!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Eleeski,

Balancing your step stool on a pile of paperbacks, on a staircase, to clean your windows seems like a losing risk / reward situation even if you had two good hips and could pee like a 10 year old boy!

Dude, what are you thinking? At least if you're doing something kinda fun or heroic you could claim a higher calling caused you to take a risk that put you back to zero or worse. There is no honor in busting your 60K hip while trying to save $100 in cleaning fees. I don't know about you but my wife would give me hell for 5 years for being such a numbnuts...

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Fuller My biggest risk is being sedentary. I manage my serious arthritis with activity - so I've got to do something. Even housework.

Perhaps posting that picture was unwise if it encourages others to stand on shaky stepstools. But I have a lot of experience on ladders and am pretty good at evaluating the security of precarious reaches. Obviously my judgement is not perfect (I did try to use a chainsaw blade on my grinder). But I do tend to avoid serious injuries. My standing as an elite waterskier is probably due to avoiding the serious injuries that have claimed some of my more talented peers. I have a pretty good feel for my limits. So far, so good with the hip recovery - and some fun ski turns.

@Monique Brand new Goode 74 skis are on order! I have new Railflex bindings (not @Philpug 's favorite but light and adjustable - and still indemnified).

Horrible conditions today. So I quit without really skiing. Staircase workout (no ladders) instead. Getting stronger and enjoying the ride.

Eric

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique Brand new Goode 74 skis are on order! I have new Railflex bindings (not @Philpug 's favorite but light and adjustable - and still indemnified).

Indemnified is like two whole steps better than exploding! I approve.