• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hip trip report

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yikes, I'm terrified. Maybe writing about it will help. Some friends liked my Spain trip report and asked me to do a “trip” report for the hip replacement. We are an aging demographic and many are likely to need surgeries and replacement parts. Maybe it will be relevant for others.

It started three years ago. After a crappy winter of hard snow beating up my hip and a couple of physical work projects, a friend came down to ski at my lake for a few days. I was dialing in a new slalom ski and pushing to redeem my trick skiing. So I skied a lot. Probably more than my body could handle. My hip was sore but manageable. Until I pulled out for the gates in some choppy water at the end of a long set and something went pop. The hip really lit up.

It didn't get better and a couple doctor visits didn't help too much. After zeroing too many tournaments in a row, I finally got an MRI which showed a tiny fracture in the ball of the hip. No weight bearing for 6 weeks. Bicycling was OK so I stashed my crutches on the bike and rode everywhere. When I rode the hour hilly ride to a doctor appointment, the doctor put me on 6 more weeks of crutches. Released to ski for one end of season tournament and got my first standup of the year (with a watered down run – but it was still fun).

Snow skied over the winter with things improving pretty well.

Just about when the hip issues had become manageable, I got shingles. If you have read this far, GET THE SHINGLES VACCINE! Shingles is a horrible disease, the shot is a couple hundred bucks and a pinprick. Shingles filled up the nearly recovered hip with calcium and I blamed all my tournament zeroes on my painful hip. And slalom was out of the question – I couldn't really even try.

Treatment for shingles is a giant anti viral pill, a neuropathy pill with awful side effects for me, muscle relaxants which didn't help and a steroid, prednisone, which was magic. Prednisone is also on the WADA banned list so I could only take it for three days (taking it longer requires long tapering off periods that would have overlapped competition times, so off limits if I wanted to ski). I had a shingles relapse late in the summer which really lit up my hip as well as everything else. I went to the hip doctor looking for a theraputic use exemption for prednisone. Worlds were coming up and I might get tested so I needed to follow all the rules. Instead of a pill to just make me feel better, she saw my xrays “this is not the same hip as the one you injured – it's now shot” and sent me to get a new hip. “You are old. Stop skiing and get a new hip” was the advice. They gave me a shot of prednisone in the hip.

I was asked if it helped. “I don't know, I still can't cross my legs” I said while crossing my legs to demonstrate. Cool, this is great. Four weeks to worlds and I can ski again. Three weeks later, the effect wore off. I still had my best run of the year in the finals so no real complaints. Until a few weeks later – the hip was really painful. The cortisone shot just delayed the pain. Not a valid therapy.

Snow skiing was tough that winter. Drought snow meant ice skiing which rattled my hip and required hip flexibility to carve the skis. Some lessons and a lot of yoga and physical therapy got me feeling OK. Work was a problem if it involved ladders but I could paint and unclog toilets pretty well still (I am a toilet repairman it seems).

Steady improvement while waterskiing that summer – sort of. Slalom still sucked but I started enjoying skiing slow speeds just for fun. I stood up in a few tournaments, had fun coaching the kids and won Nationals. Interesting Nationals, I made it to the Masters Men division but only one other MM skier actually went to Nationals. When I ripped off my big toe toenail and pulled my back out a few days before Nationals (why was I moving that furniture by myself), I was really worried about my performance. I dialed back my run and did 100% of what my body was capable of that day to ski well. Good thing I skied MM as I wouldn't have won my age division with that score – but I'm still happy with that.

It snowed a lot over the winter. Great skiing but I did have to pace myself. It was hard to walk back to the cabin on my hip but the skiing was fine. Especially when it was soft.

This spring, I tried to get back into slalom. Worked pretty hard but couldn't get past 5 ball at 34. Even in practice. Couldn't qualify for Regionals so I focused on tricks. It was tough but my scores kept improving at every tournament. Finally got over 4000 – a huge milestone for me. Got sick right before Nationals (what looked like a Lyme bite right where the harness goes on my toe foot – made the whole leg weak including lighting up the hip) so I zeroed the toe pass. Got healthy, got strong and went to a last tournament. Tripped on the wake on my hand pass and pulled a hamstring. This was a week before Senior Worlds! But it wasn't a crippling issue – I might be OK. Worlds was tough. Barely made the finals. By finals, my hamstring was not better but not crippling. My hip locked up on me and wouldn't turn over for me. Wasted enough time to delay me off the podium.

That's when it decided for me. I can get by with one bad wheel but not two. Minor injuries are a part of any sport. If I get the nagging lingering problem dealt with, I might be able to handle whatever comes up. So hip replacement.

A total hip replacement is the standard. But athletes seem to prefer resurfacing (Floyd Landis is the most famous (infamous) to have the hip resurfacing). A couple years ago, my doctors didn't want to do resurfacings. There was a recall of one brand (I'd way rather turn in my diesel Jetta than turn in my hip!) and the lawyer sharks were going after all the doctors doing resurfacing. But now doctors are warming again to resurfacing. I don't see ads on TV anymore and the published studies I read showed better outcomes in the long term from hip resurfacings (probably skewed by starting with healthy athletes). The doctor that I was referred to a couple years ago is now one of the most experienced resurfacers. Cool!

So I'm convinced that Dr. Ball at UCSD should give me a Birmingham hip. Easy, right?

The first appointment to see him is in November and I'm calling late September. I get a cancellation for a late October appointment for the initial visit. There's a Birmingham hip mill in South Carolina, maybe I should go there? I call and whine for an earlier appointment with Dr. Ball and I get a cancellation in two days! Cool!

I'm too old at 61 to be a perfect candidate for the Birmingham hip. So I'm hoping he will be able to help me. The xrays look even worse than the last ones. I show him a video of my toe pass trick skiing. He rattles around my leg and smiles “you'll be easy”. The Birmingham hip will be perfect for you. I bribe him with a bottle of wine in thanks for seeing me so quickly.

A day later, I get a call from his scheduler. “Do you have anything you need to do now?” Now, I'm an appointed judge at College Nationals next week. I need to fix some tiles in a kitchen in an apartment and fix a heater. I should be able to get things stabilized in a week or two, no problem. They were saying 6 to 8 weeks for scheduling if I get an expedited cancellation. So I flippantly answer “it will take me a couple hours to get there but I can be there later this morning”. She answers “so Tuesday is OK?”

Wow! If this happens that fast, I can get back to work in time to really take care of a couple big looming projects, I might be able to snow ski a bit and even if I heal slowly I'll be ready for waterski season. I cannot turn down this opportunity.

My first call is to Connie to warn that I am likely to flake on Nationals. I don't know if I will be ready to work there that quickly. I did set up the cameras so they should be straightforward. Half the people say I should be OK to just play with the videos at the tournament, the others say I will be lucky to remember the TV shows I will binge watch while groaning on the couch munching percodan. We'll see.

So Friday I have all the pre op appointments. An EKG? Is my heart going to stop? Will I fail the test and not get surgery? Blood work? Even though I donate blood regularly, I hate needles. Pee in a cup? No problem but are they giving the results to WADA? I should be clean but I did have a poppyseed bagel a while back. I guess I passed because the doctor saw me next.

I have a tournament over the weekend. I'm not sure I should ski it and risk the injuries. The doctor says “I'm cutting you open unless you break your leg. Go have fun there.” I'm only signed up for tricks and that goes OK – the hamstring is almost healed but the hip locks up. I'm not allowed any Naproxen so I'm pretty stiff. On Sunday I get a write in to slalom. Make 30 and 32 at 15 off. Opt up to 22 off 34 because that used to be my starting speed. Run it! It's been a long time. And that was difficult. Too scary to attack 28 off the way I needed to - but I'm stoked to have made a pass.

The rush to get in the open spot is too quick for the insurance. We are all pretty sure that the insurance will come through but my share is still substantial. They want that up front. This is expensive! Lisa has been wondering if I will be able to get up our stairs. So she asks the nurses and doctors. “It depends.” But now they want me to spend the night in the hospital. Maybe I can talk them into the luxury ground floor Bahia hotel and dinner of lobster instead of a cold hospital room with thickened applesauce. My share of the payment probably makes the Bahia and lobster cheaper to me. I'm going to Amvets to buy a used walker and crutches…

No alcohol. Showers with some total kill antibacterial soap (how do I still have BO?). No late dinner (at least no Moviprep – condolences to those who know what I'm referring to). This is the stuff that makes you nervous. While I'd rather be getting my hands dirty with the heater repair, the phone remote repair is keeping me distracted.

Keep you posted (I hope).

Eric

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Interesting though I have absolutely no idea what the waterski code you talk in means - it sounds like imperial measures of screws or motor oil.

All the best for a swift slice and dice and rapid recovery.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
All the best Eric. If it's any consolation, my bro had one in the spring and he was walking next day (side entry, no cutting of the muscles or tendons). Cycling in a few weeks. And it's been a huge success for him. Still not quite a year out but his cycling is much better. So chin up, you've got a good outlook I should think.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

Woke up early with a start. This is the day. It’s real now. Not the nerves on the starting dock, certainly not the excitement of Christmas morning but something more sinister. Not like being stalked by a coyote on a night walk after the flashlight failed, not like getting the fight or flight response going. But no way am I getting back to sleep.

Puttered around – for hours. Showered with the horribly clinical smelling soap again. Read the paper – honestly I can’t remember a word of it but one comic made me chuckle. Posted the preamble to this that I had written earlier. Cleaned up the yard. Took a nice walk on the beach. I had a lot of time to kill before my afternoon surgery. We were just getting ready to go for a last workout swim at the Y when the phone rang. The scheduler asked how fast I could get there.

“Half hour!”

“You have been fasting?”

“Yes.”

“OK, hurry up here. there’s a spot right now!”

Wow, this doesn’t happen. Early everything. Maybe early enough that I can get a discharge for tonight and spend the night at home or at least the nice stairless luxury Bahia hotel with a lobster dinner in place of thickened applesauce and beeping machines.

Whisked into the prep room. The nurse hits my vein no problem (despite my big veins, the last one missed). All the doctors come say Hi. “Any questions?”

“Can I get discharged today?”

“Maybe but probably not. We’ll see.” Aside to the nurses. “Shut this crazy guy up”

I don’t remember anything else.

I woke up in agony. My shoulder was killing me. (It was the first arthritic joint to get a doctor visit. I kept worrying in my anesthesia haze that a bionic shoulder might be in the near future.) An ice pack for a couple minutes and I was groggily able to take stock of myself.

No pain. No feeling from the waist down. No movement – at all. Complete paralysis. OK, this will pass. But nothing was coming back at any rate I could notice. The doctor peeks into the recovery room and says it went great! But I need to stay in the hospital tonight. Fine with me, I’m paralyzed and can’t move. Third story is not an option.

I’m freezing. My alarm is going off. Low heart rate. Blood pressure and O2 are fine but I’m still a bit under. They bring me a cup of ice cubes. I hate ice – not just for skiing on – but I like warm beer and neat scotch. I dutifully swallow a couple bites to assure him that I can swallow and he brings me a juice box. Magic! Fluid and sugar! I’ve been fasting for hours and eating light for days. Immediately, I warm up and my heartbeat speeds up to where it belongs (or at least the alarms stop). I guess I’m addicted to sugar. Lisa does love me, she has smuggled in a box of See’s chocolates!

I get wheeled out of the recovery room to my room – still paralyzed. The orderly jokes that I have a roommate. “Is she cute?” I ask.

Lisa quips “it doesn’t matter, you’re paralyzed.”

“And you have a catheter” laughs the orderly.

In my private room, I am able to wiggle my right leg a bit. Whew! But I don’t have a catheter and the nurse is wondering when I urinated last. It’s been a while. They ultrasound my bladder, it’s pretty full. I’m completely numb though so I can’t feel it. Tried to pee into a portable urinal. Not a drop. I am lucky for an old guy that I’m pretty good about being able to pee. Not this time. The nurse threatens me with a catheter and gives me Flomax to no avail.

Lisa brings in a nice noodle bowl and we have dinner in the wonderful ambiance of the hospital room. All the sitting up to eat (and trying to pee) has gotten some circulation going. I can move both legs and everything is tingling. Except the male hardware. Still completely numb – is it still there? A hip for a prostrate might not be a good trade. I mercifully let Lisa go home and am able to dribble enough to stave off the catheter.

IV antibiotics, some Celebrex and a stool softener – sorry if it’s getting too graphic – maybe I shouldn’t write when impaired. Actually, I’m not in much (any) pain. So going without narcotics – for now. And I was able to pee better. Not too many beeping machines I might survive this!

Eric

The beeping machines, the frequent wake ups and the squeezing leg cuffs make it hard to sleep.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many of us are ticking time bombs for this. Best of luck and try to stay comfortable.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whisked into the prep room. The nurse hits my vein no problem (despite my big veins, the last one missed). All the doctors come say Hi. “Any questions?”
I read that as Whiskey in the prep room. I'm all for that!
But seriously....heal well. Heal strong!

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
Smart move Eric on opting for resurfacing. I had it done 12 years ago on my right leg and never looked back. I was part of a clinical trial at select US hospitals in 2004 so the recovery and PT protocols were in their infancy, but nowadays the physical therapist community is familiar enough with resurfacings to get you shipshape in no time. Just follow what the doctor proscribes for your recovery period. Don't push the envelope, and you'll be skiing in no time.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is a trip report. As in Grateful Dead’s “Long strange trip it’s been”. Pardon the graphic nature of what follows. Not every trip is a good trip.

OK, the pain is very real and significant. The anesthetic wore off on my hip in the middle of the night. The horrible squeezie leg cuffs illicited a twitch response in my leg. Stark wake up. The hip pain wasn’t the worst. The squeeze cuff was digging into my good leg’s foot. Agony until I figured out how to reposition it.

Then it was time to pee. No problem! The anesthetic must have worn off. But my testicles were on fire. If I lay down just right I could manage the discomfort. Sleep was out of the question so I read for a while.

Peed again! Tried to sleep. Now the anesthetic was wearing off in my stomach. They had offered me an anti nausea drug when I went to sleep. They also offered narcotics. I was feeling great when I went to sleep so I turned it all down.

Now, I’m a big believer in using whatever medicines you need. I stupidly thought that I didn’t need them. Now I get why they were offered.

After a while I felt horrible. Cold sweats and nausea. The nurse came in while I was peeing (happy to keep that working) and said I could sleep on my side. That helped and I got some sleep!

The resident wakes me up to check on me. I’m feeling pretty good. The hip pain is pretty high but now that’s about all. I don’t want to be woozy for the physical therapist who will check me out so I pass on the pain meds again. Really, I’ve hurt worse than just the hip so I’m OK.

The physical therapists show up a while later. I get out of bed on my own and start going around on the walker just fine. She’s talking about unpleasant hospital and surgery stuff (like recovery times and moves that can dislocate the hip). One reason I’m not a doctor is that I faint at blood and guts (I’m a wimp). So I get out in the hall and start to gray out. Failed the PT test. I get some bicycle pedals and permission to sit up. They promise to try again in the afternoon.

I used to have high blood pressure. What’s the use if I can’t keep it high enough to walk around the hospital? So I have plenty of time to type this. Working at Imperial is looking less likely…

Lisa brings a hamburger and milkshake in for lunch. I’m riding the exercycle (no load and I can sit in a chair). I’ve been sitting up all morning. The nurse has me use the walker for a practice lap around the ward. No problem. Lisa lays out my street clothes and I’m ready for the therapists. A lap around the ward and a flight of stairs and I’m emancipated!

I fall asleep on the car ride home. Until Brad calls. He had the easier recovery hip and was hoping I might be able to help judge. A couple sentences in and he’s wishing me well and off to plan B. My son spots me on the stairs and I make it upstairs. But I desperately need a shower (terminal BO, residual betadyne and hospital cooties). Our house is not set up for the handicapped. So Lisa heads off to buy a toilet seat and shower chair combo. It comes disassembled. Really, after surgery I still have to be a toilet repairman?

The shower is magic. I almost feel human. So I promptly pass out for a few hours. It’s nice to be home.

A light dinner and some binge watching TV. It hurts like hell. But I’m ready to sleep and heal. This is tougher than I thought…

Eric

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like progress, keep it up Eric!. And since so many of us, um, more mature, pugs are likely to face something similar in the coming years, appreciate the unvarnished diaries!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds as though it's going well all things considered. A hamburger and a milkshake? Not much preventive about that.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What a difference a day makes!

Sleeping at home - but not in my bed. Our bed is on a ridiculously high pedestal and I don't think I am ready to jump up to it. But Kirk's bed is the right height and nice and soft. I sleep quite well, just waking up every couple of hours to pee (still working a long ways after the flomax) but getting right back to sleep.

Able to hobble downstairs for coffee. Almost normal.

Ran out of gas after a couple of hours. Maybe it was because Lisa told me to clean up my desk – no, I'm too tired to do anything productive, especially clean. Napped! That's rare for me. I'm down to just a sore hip. The systemic dolor that afflicted me yesterday is gone. The hip still hurts like hell but it's just the hip and surrounding third of my body.

Taped Saran wrap over the incision and went for a shower. Bowels moved, barely. Maybe it is good that I avoided the narcotics. If I'm plugged up already, how bad would it be if I'd taken the narcotics. That's a pretty unpleasant side effect. But they offered Metamucil and stool softeners. Add some San Diego tap water and that side effect might be manageable. I think I might be past the need for pain meds now. Now my hip just hurts. Sorry for the grossness.

I need my walker but I can get around. I'm favoring it a lot as I walk. The therapists (and now Lisa, vehemently) want me to walk straight. I think he put my hip together pigeon toed. But that's probably why I'm supposed to walk straight, to make it heal straight. I wonder if I will need to mount my back binding at a different angle. Or mount my snow skis with a wonky angle on the left (it will be hard to demo skis). I guess I'd better do the rehab properly.

Honestly, I don't know if the desk is messier now or when I started. No wonder my workspaces are so scrambled. Typing this is just procrastinating. But I'm finding lots of cool stuff!

So the therapist comes by the house in the evening to check on me. I'm getting around pretty well and she likes how I'm moving. I still have a LONG way to go but I'm where I should be. I'm supposed to be working the Collegiate Nationals. She said I would be OK doing the trick video. I have a ride out in a Tesla Model X so the normally 2 hour drive will only take 1 hour. Hmmm, what am I getting into? Am I healing too quickly? So much for the TV binge watching.

Eric

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good progress! A man after my own heart with a messy desk and a tendency to procrastinate ...:)

Just remember the words of Albert Einstein:

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"

(and no, my wife didnt buy it either!)

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Off to Imperial with the therapist’s blessing. My ride is my buddy’s new Tesla Model X. Worth leaving the comfort of home just for that. The Tesla is a big comfortable SUV. It’s not a monster like a Silverado or Excursion nor is it tiny like a Subaru or CRV. Maybe a bit too big for my tastes but the size was just right for my level of disability. Sat in the back quite comfortably. Mike’s son drove the first leg. No hotdogging and he set the drive feel for “comfort”. Cruise control was set for 80 but the traffic made that unavailable. Autodrive was pretty cool. It kept a safe and courteous distance from the cars ahead, slowing and accelerating smoothly to keep the same gap. Smooth adjustments when people slimed into the gap between us and the car ahead. The traffic thinned out as the speed limit increased. Some back seat chatter about how bad speeding tickets are for teenagers and how an arrest me red new Tesla is a cop magnet and the autodrive got reset to a more reasonable level and held that speed smoothly. He had to rest his hands on the wheel to keep the autodrive engaged. Failure to do so would start with a warning after a while that if ignored would pull the car over and stop it. That’s a scary feature that we didn’t test to the limits.

Stopping at the rest area (per therapist’s orders) we changed drivers and seats. Mike took over and I got a front seat. He switched to sport mode. The car seemed to raise up, get stiffer and the steering seemed twichier. The seat also moved automatically back and the radio switched. He wanted to show off on the onramp so he floored it. It was like being on a Disneyland ride! The discussion then turned to kilowatts and range and how the “ludicrous” speed option was foolish. OK… So we ran into some construction. The autopilot decided it would be fun to run over the cones forcing us out of our lane. A quick human override kept the cones in place. Good thing we weren’t watching Harry Potter. Self driving cars are still in the future.

We arrived at Imperial (lots of kilowatts regenerated on the hill down) and found the event in full swing. All the camera instructions were in the exact pile where I’d left them. Hmmm. A chip had been dropped in the water and a couple skiers were missing. I felt pretty bad about not being there for the start but honestly they did a great (if somewhat disorganized) job. The lost skiers turned out to be scratches so all was perfect.

I sat outside and helped with scoring. Reasonably easy and comfortable. It was a long tournament. Cathy, who had a hip replacement earlier, saw me and immediately shooed me away to the couch. I passed out exhausted for an hour. Thanks for the reality check, Cathy.

Nice dinner provided by SDSU. A very small sampling of some fancy wines and I was ready for an early bed. Took my meds, Celebrex and asprin. And went to bed. Woke up after not too long. Churning stomach and a pounding heart. With weird beats. Not sure what was happening but I got back to sleep. Woke up a few hours later sweating profusely. Now it was hot and I’m in a sleeping bag so there is a good explanation. But I’m not super happy. When morning comes, I call my orthopod friend in North Carolina (it’s not too early there) and ask if I can stop the Celebrex. Celebrex is a cox2 NSAID, like Bextra and Vioxx. Vioxx lost a lot of lawsuits for heart damage and I got an irregular heartbeat when I took Bextra years ago. So maybe the Celebrex wasn’t working for me. I hate losing tools from the toolbox but I’ve still got asprin.

The tournament runs smoothly. Only one scratch to confuse us and we easily found the challenges to review. Finished my part of the judging early so hobbled around to watch the tournament. Great skiing, fun enthusiastic kids and a wonderful venue. The kids asked what happened to me, asked what drugs I was using and asked how to improve their skiing. The adults all asked about the procedure. In depth. For hours. With what seemed a personal relevance. Maybe there is some interest in this narrative – given the demographics of society and our sport.

A friend saw me on the webcast “checking out the college girls”. Sad situation. I can’t take yes for an answer. Hardware is still not working yet. Everything is still pretty sore and all bodily functions are compromised. The kind of questions people are too polite to ask directly? The search for a toilet with something nearby to push up off of was a challenge – as was using it.

My wife came out to watch some of the skiing. Our friend Newt was mobbed by his team after his last collegiate jump. Great show of spirit and love of a graduating captain who started with few if any competitive skills and ended up a star and a leader. It is cool to see kids grow and see athletics play a part in it. I walked (shuffled?) around a lot enjoying the pageant.

Really, Lisa came to take me home. I was spent. It was a tough ride home. Passed out early after a shower – showers make me feel human again. Slept OK but woke up with really sore ribs. Too much lifting the darn walker.

Still, I am improving so fast! The stairs are not an obstacle and I’m able to get around without the walker. I got my compression sock on by myself! Still hurts but the limits are receding. I will be better than new at this rate!

Eric

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Steadily improving. I can put on my socks by myself. That's no small feat given that I'm supposed to wear compression socks on the sore leg (you ever tried to put on compression socks? I hope not.). It takes a while but Lisa is stoked.

The walker is outgrown now! The $5.40 from Amvets was well spent but That thing makes me look old! I'm way too vain for it. So now I'm rocking a cane. My grandfather's cane was made from the ball of his femur that they cut off when he had his hip done. I wonder if I can find that. With my resurfacing, that's not an option for me. Hopefully I'll pass the need for a cane pretty quickly.

The therapist cleared me to drive! Lisa, however, has not. I'm not ready for a clutch, especially the Datsun's heel toe tempermental clutch. All the cars are busy, without me. So I'm stuck for a while longer.

I haven't gotten the exercycle yet. I'm supposed to take it easy on that for a while. If I'm really charging the exercycle, maybe I can ride my bike. But none of the doctors want even a minor fall as that could set things way back. Maybe I'll lease a Tesla for a couple months?

No exercycle so I'm running stairs. I remember running the stadium stairs as part of the college team drills. Nothing like that. I can, however, go up and down one foot after another. Actually it hurts less than regular walking.

My son showed up with the exercycle. A craigslist special. Cost less than the toilet seat. It just needed batteries. So I hop on, crank down the resistance and do P1's workout. Hit the wall at 25 minutes after working up a good sweat – maybe a bit too much for the hip.

New compression socks are impossible to get on, hurt like crazy and had to get cut down during the night. These things will kill me.

The pain is way down but still there. I struggle to get up from sitting but after a couple minutes, I'm OK. Other pains are ganging up, my shoulder is killing me. Maybe the lying on my shoulder in the operating room lit it up or maybe using my arms too much is a factor. I've got pretty bad tennis elbow as well. And my right (good) knee hurts a lot – and it's never been an issue before. Maybe the hip pain decreasing is making the other pains come to the forefront. I hope all the pain eases in the next months of my recovery.

I'm getting a bit of cabin fever. Why am I watching so much soccer? Who were the green guys that Bayern trounced? That's a couple hours of my life I won't get back. At least my to do list doesn't seem to be growing. I bet once I get out of the house it will.

As the recovery slows down, it gets harder to maintain focus. When the novelty just getting my legs turning over on the exercycle wears off, will I still get on the thing a couple times a day? No running, no road cycling, no skiing, no twisting – basically none of the exhilaration side of athletics but all of the sweaty conditioning requirements. Think long term.

While the physical improvement is slowing, it's still happening each day. I will get through this and hopefully be better physically afterward than before. But this is a bigger procedure than I had figured.

Eric

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
Eric,

The "startup"pain you have when arising from a sitting position can linger for many months. A way to alleviate it is to lift your knee and leg for a minute before you get up.That engages the muscle and must get the blood flowing. I relied on that for months, when getting up from a seat on the railroad or an airplane. You will find the joint resurfacing renders the hip joint pain free, but the surrounding muscles and tendons (IT band, psoas) that were cut and sliced can hurt for many months after. You just have to keep working and stretching as directed by your surgeon and PT.

Fred

Steadily improving. I can put on my socks by myself. That's no small feat given that I'm supposed to wear compression socks on the sore leg (you ever tried to put on compression socks? I hope not.). It takes a while but Lisa is stoked.

The walker is outgrown now! The $5.40 from Amvets was well spent but That thing makes me look old! I'm way too vain for it. So now I'm rocking a cane. My grandfather's cane was made from the ball of his femur that they cut off when he had his hip done. I wonder if I can find that. With my resurfacing, that's not an option for me. Hopefully I'll pass the need for a cane pretty quickly.

The therapist cleared me to drive! Lisa, however, has not. I'm not ready for a clutch, especially the Datsun's heel toe tempermental clutch. All the cars are busy, without me. So I'm stuck for a while longer.

I haven't gotten the exercycle yet. I'm supposed to take it easy on that for a while. If I'm really charging the exercycle, maybe I can ride my bike. But none of the doctors want even a minor fall as that could set things way back. Maybe I'll lease a Tesla for a couple months?

No exercycle so I'm running stairs. I remember running the stadium stairs as part of the college team drills. Nothing like that. I can, however, go up and down one foot after another. Actually it hurts less than regular walking.

My son showed up with the exercycle. A craigslist special. Cost less than the toilet seat. It just needed batteries. So I hop on, crank down the resistance and do P1's workout. Hit the wall at 25 minutes after working up a good sweat – maybe a bit too much for the hip.

New compression socks are impossible to get on, hurt like crazy and had to get cut down during the night. These things will kill me.

The pain is way down but still there. I struggle to get up from sitting but after a couple minutes, I'm OK. Other pains are ganging up, my shoulder is killing me. Maybe the lying on my shoulder in the operating room lit it up or maybe using my arms too much is a factor. I've got pretty bad tennis elbow as well. And my right (good) knee hurts a lot – and it's never been an issue before. Maybe the hip pain decreasing is making the other pains come to the forefront. I hope all the pain eases in the next months of my recovery.

I'm getting a bit of cabin fever. Why am I watching so much soccer? Who were the green guys that Bayern trounced? That's a couple hours of my life I won't get back. At least my to do list doesn't seem to be growing. I bet once I get out of the house it will.

As the recovery slows down, it gets harder to maintain focus. When the novelty just getting my legs turning over on the exercycle wears off, will I still get on the thing a couple times a day? No running, no road cycling, no skiing, no twisting – basically none of the exhilaration side of athletics but all of the sweaty conditioning requirements. Think long term.

While the physical improvement is slowing, it's still happening each day. I will get through this and hopefully be better physically afterward than before. But this is a bigger procedure than I had figured.

Eric

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Very impressive that you can put socks on so soon after surgery. I've had a hip resurfacing and it was months afterwards that I could reach down to put my own socks on, especially the operated leg. I was skiing after 6 months no problems and haven't looked back really. Still a few minor limitations after two years post surgery but I'm still getting better and feel that I have never been stronger or healthier.