• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help! I screwed up! 5000 feet of short turns has hurt me

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I could list my entire repertoire of stretches to help my knee, but I think they're rather specific to my issues. But maybe? A big thing for me has been stretching calves, quads, and hip flexors. tons of foam rolling, to the point that I'm now using a much narrower diameter tool OR a lacrosse ball to pinpoint tight spots. Find a spot, then use the muscle. Called "pin and stretch." Like if you find a spot on your quad, bend your knee - if you feel the muscle moving on the roller, you're on the right spot.

Again, this all only applies if tight muscles are contributing. But I'll bet my last bippy every skier has some tight leg muscles.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I could list my entire repertoire of stretches to help my knee, but I think they're rather specific to my issues. But maybe? A big thing for me has been stretching calves, quads, and hip flexors. tons of foam rolling, to the point that I'm now using a much narrower diameter tool OR a lacrosse ball to pinpoint tight spots. Find a spot, then use the muscle. Called "pin and stretch." Like if you find a spot on your quad, bend your knee - if you feel the muscle moving on the roller, you're on the right spot.

Again, this all only applies if tight muscles are contributing. But I'll bet my last bippy every skier has some tight leg muscles.

I've got a laCross ball on the window sill
It is used every evening...

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your excursion sounds like my days at the SIA on-snow event. Lots of little turns and hard skiing. I was exhausted but not in pain, though.
I can recall similiar from early season demos where I ended up with pain in my Hips/IT Band afterwards. Thankfully it had considerably subsided with a week of RICE. Just one week post injury a new snowstorm dropped a foot and a half of snow locally, ofcourse I had to give cross-country skiing at the park a shot, and yes the xc skiing set it off again. However it went away after another week and in time for a week long ski trip out west. I haven't always been so lucky. All of which brings up another point - if the OP's pain doesn't settle down and go away in rougthly a week, I'd recommend seeing a physician.

Last edited:

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
For me, that's instant!
That's unfortunate. On the other hand, you may be better off not using it. While I believe NSAIDs have their place, I have stopped using them when dealing with chronic tendonosis and feel my recovery rate is at least as good if not better. Certainly the research shows that they can set back healing, I have also seen research that icing has a similar negative impact.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
After NFL games, most training staffs want the active players to come in the next day and do a light weight training workout. Any lactic acid build up in the muscles or sore areas gets flushed out from that workout.

As for longs days on the mountain, I will get on a stationary bike trainer and do a light workout the day after. If you don't have access to this, I would do some sets of the leg blaster, not at the intensity most recommend but at slower rate. The negative resistance load from those exercises should flush out the soreness due to making lots of ski turns.

BTW, along with Sunday nite, the Tues to Weds snow treat has become real !!!!!!.:yahoo:

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
In karate, after a hard work out we always did a cool-down exercise to flush some of the lactic acid from our muscles.

After a hard work out skiing (e.g. bell to bell high performance arc-2-arc turns), I like a cool off exercise, climbing the stairs to the après ski bar where I can have a muscle relaxant and warm up my boots prior to the bootectomy.

Last edited:

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
yes, I recall reading that article but have not read others to confirm or deny the conclusions. It points to a reference about muscle soreness due to micro trauma followed by an inflammatory process. Then indicates light exercise and NSAID alleviates this, got an idea why?

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
That article references many other articles and research completed as far back as the 30s that you can easily find online (and the article links to them). NSAID is an antiinflammatory so would make sense as to why that would help as the microtears result in inflammatory response. Not sure about the light exercise, poking around a bit it doesn't seem that they are sure why that would work.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
The cause of Delay Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) is still an unknown. It correlates to inflammation but inflammation is rather vague, for example what fluid or chemicals are causing this soreness. What is controversial is whether exercise, be it light or aerobics alleviates this inflammation. Below, a brief outline of a paper and link to the paper advocates exercises as a good anti inflammatory.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315255.php

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I'll have to poke around to see if I can find it, but when I was in massage school I recall also reading a fairly decent study (which is a shocker, because most massage therapy 'studies' are pretty laughable) that studied the effects of post event sports-massage on DOMs. IIRC the results showed a reduction in certain inflammatory agents with massage <1hr post event. They actually took muscle biopsies, which just shows how hard this stuff is to test.

The article @jack97 linked doesn't say much to me about DOMS- it seems to be testing the theory that general exercise reduces general inflammation in a general patient population, which again makes sense to me. Inflammation is a conditioned response. Your body gets used to something and it won't overreact as much. So, by exercising regularly you are conditioning your body and your immune system to know that the cellular changes that occur as a result of exercise are not a big deal. Of course, this is just all my 20+ year old education talking and I'm no expert.

I don't have a pubMED subscription anymore, nor the time to do any real research into this to find some other articles, but anyway this conversation is probably better put in its own thread or shelved as we kind of drifted off topic from the OP.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't have a pubMED subscription anymore, nor the time to do any real research into this to find some other articles, but anyway this conversation is probably better put in its own thread or shelved as we kind of drifted off topic from the OP.
But we haven't! And the proof is:

Inflammation is a conditioned response. Your body gets used to something and it won't overreact as much. So, by exercising regularly you are conditioning your body and your immune system to know that the cellular changes that occur as a result of exercise are not a big deal. .

Do more turns... ;)

Sponsor