• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help! I screwed up! 5000 feet of short turns has hurt me

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Call it interval training if you like, But ...

I made a self challenge to ski a certain run repeatedly with only high energy short turns, and now I'm hurt. Both knees are barking, I can hardly walk a set of stairs.

The new snow was enticing, and a conversation with a fellow skier about the "effort level" of normal skiing "made me do it".
It was fun while it lasted, And I was breathing deeply when I called it off. So I got the work out I wanted.

But...

RICE is my only tool, that and just holding myself up with a chair back, or what ever, and swinging the lower leg fore and back.

Ouch! This getting old is getting old! Vitamin I is my fall back. I've got to ski Monday, there is going to be lots of new snow!
Such are "first world problems". ;-)
Rant over....

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Call it interval training if you like, But ...

I made a self challenge to ski a certain run repeatedly with only high energy short turns, and now I'm hurt. Both knees are barking, I can hardly walk a set of stairs.

The new snow was enticing, and a conversation with a fellow skier about the "effort level" of normal skiing "made me do it".
It was fun while it lasted, And I was breathing deeply when I called it off. So I got the work out I wanted.

But...

RICE is my only tool, that and just holding myself up with a chair back, or what ever, and swinging the lower leg fore and back.

Ouch! This getting old is getting old! Vitamin I is my fall back. I've got to ski Monday, there is going to be lots of new snow!
Such are "first world problems". ;-)
Rant over....
Not suggesting this particular selling site, the link is from google, but the product Sunrider's JOI seems to help when my knee, or my wrist (old injuries) start complaining.
https://www.herbsfortune.com/products/joi-herbal-mood-supplement-by-sunrider

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Hmmm a "mood supplement" that comes in a wide mouth bottle. How different! My customary supplements come in necked bottles. ;-)

I do use Arnica cream topically, but that has been discussed in other threads.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Do more! I have an ongoing notion that pain (and avoidance thereof) helps us notice where our smoothness is lacking. And so, the 100 turns (or more) per 1000foot vertical game was born...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you have swelling, this weird-looking tape job does miracles for me:

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The third term of the mnemonic RICE is Compression

Something I have found more valuable than the other three terms combined.
Limit the swelling! Swelling actually Impedes healing.

But in the fight or flight situation, rapid reinforcement, even if debilitating, is better than a lingering wound.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
Magnesium pills
Magnesium topical spray
I also use a cream called everflex from natures sunshine with msm in it, health food store would have something similar.
Good luck!!!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel, 1%, or better yet, 3% if you can get it. The stuff is Kryptonite, it'll get you back on the snow in no time.

Btw, Vitamin Ibuprophen lowers sperm count in males, causes stomach olcers and so on, why put that $hit in your system when we have a topical gel option?

In any case do not use either long term as NSAIDS will interfeer with tedon repair (remodeling), assuming your "overuse" pain is tendon related which it could be.

Last edited:

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I mean, if you're really a glutton for pain you can give yourself a nice ice bath. Worked wonders for me when I was marathon training. Just slip a hat on and make yourself a warm cup of tea and its almost pleasant (not really though).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Btw, Vitamin Ibuprophen lowers sperm count in males, causes stomach olcers and so on, why put that $hit in your system when we have a topical gel option?

I can't take any NSAIDs, but you have to be careful with the topical gel - if you get any sort of rash, stop immediately.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can't take any NSAIDs, but you have to be careful with the topical gel - if you get any sort of rash, stop immediately.
Yes good advice.

The other thing is, for me anyway, relief is almost instantaneous with the topical gel. Ibuprofen doesn't begin to really work for pain relief at the level which the topical gel does until it has been in my system for close to a week! And unlike all other NSAIDs I've used. I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. To date the topical gel's pain relief has not quickly diminished with use, i.e., the first two times I took Celebrex I thought it was a wonder drug at reliving my pain, after which it didn't seem to do much and my doctor changed the Rx from 100mg once a day to 200mg once a day and on to 200mg twice a day!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel, 1%, or better yet, 3% if you can get it. The stuff is Kryptonite, it'll get you back on the snow in no time.

In any case do not use either long term as NSAIDS will interfeer with tedon repair (remodeling), assuming your "overuse" pain is tendon related which it could be.
Yeah, nsaids help only the drug companies.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes good advice.

The other thing is, for me anyway, relief is almost instantaneous with the topical gel. Ibuprofen doesn't begin to really work for pain relief at the level which the topical gel does until it has been in my system for close to a week! And unlike all other NSAIDs I've used. I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. To date the topical gel's pain relief has not quickly diminished with use, i.e., the first two times I took Celebrex I thought it was a wonder drug at reliving my pain, after which it didn't seem to do much and my doctor changed the Rx from 100mg once a day to 200mg once a day and on to 200mg twice a day!

Various forms of topical NSAID gels and creams have for decades been available over the counter internationally at very low cost. It has always been considered way safer and more effective than taking the OTC tablets. It became available under prescription here in the USA about 10 years ago at an absurd price. It also came with warnings that it was only to be used in otherwise difficult to treat cases. The rash is no big deal, just stop using it for a couple of days if you get it. You can get worse rashes from using anti-perspirants. Here in the USA it is a matter of being safe and cheap to take internally but dangerous and expensive to put on one skin!

Anyway I also agree that it is best to try to avoid them long term.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Your excursion sounds like my days at the SIA on-snow event. Lots of little turns and hard skiing. I was exhausted but not in pain, though.

Sponsor

Staff online