• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
It's time to replace my POC Helmet. I usually wear Smith Turbo Fan goggles and all is well. I would like to keep wearing the goggles but am thinking of moving to a Shred helmet. I was thinking either the Basher Ultimate or more than likely the Basher NoShock.

Does anyone have any experience with this helmet and how it fits with different goggles?

Thanks,
Ken

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
Though this thread hasn't generated any replies. it has generated several views. So I'm going to answer my own question.

From the Shred site I found this statement about their goggles:

• UNIVERSAL HELMET COMPATIBILITY - We performed extensive studies on a wide range of helmets to provide a seamless fit
So if their goggles fit most brands of helmets, and their goggles fit their helmets, it seems reasonable that their helmets should fit most brands of goggles.

Smith states on their site that Smith goggles are designed to fit with Smith helmets.

Not fully satisfied, I sent Shred an email and asked them the same thing. I explained that I spent a bit of time/money getting my goggles just right because of the flat light and needing to wear glasses and to my surprise, within probably 5 minutes, my phone was ringing. No it wasn't Ted Ligety but someone in a (from what I could tell) Rep or project lead position.

The conversation was based on speculation with no guarantees, but it ended with me believing there shouldn't be any issues with the Smith Turbo fan and Shred Basher Ultimate fit. Some of it is most Manufacturers are making their items to be interchangeable because most folks don't like to buy proprietary stuff. Some of it was based on just what the curve of the goggles look like to what the curve of the helmet looks like.

He also reminded me that there is a return guarantee as long as none of the tags are taken off so if it doesn't work out, I can send it back.

Two thumbs up for Shred and their customer service.

Ken

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry I didn't see this.
I'm not super familiar with Shred as I haven't sold it or seen a lot of it around in 6 years.
I'm glad you found what you're looking for.

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
Tricia,
NP. Not the most riveting subject :) Your shop should look into this line. Good product.

Yesterday I (finally) skied with the Shred helmet and my Smith goggles. Fantastic!. The fit is good and I like the helmet. I got the Ultimate Basher. Only down side is having to change to a different chin guard too.

On the Shred helmet itself, It is very well made. I like the customizing you can do and the fact the section covering the ears is deeper. I haven't tried it yet but I believe this will allow you to have earbuds in without the helmet pressing them into your eustachian tube. Feels like there is enough room, though I haven't tried it.

Also, I appears to be more round than the POC. This might be in part so it can provide more area around the ear.

As earlier stated the fit with the Smith Turbo fan was quite nice. No brain freeze or the like. It wasn't that cold but there were more than a few times I was going fast enough to make up for that.

On the lift I did notice a slight draft on my ears (I'm old and we notice such things). I'm pretty sure this is due to the slot provided so you can hear better. it didn't whistle or anything with wind or at speed though. It might have been coming up the chin strap and not from the ear slot. It wasn't a big deal and though I noticed it, didn't give it another thought until writing this, so I didn't investigate further.

The goggle clip is way better than the one on the POC. One, it stays in place and two, it's a little deeper so it holds bulky goggle strap clips like the Smith's without issue.

Overall, I'm very happy. Only downside is there are only three colors on this line to choose from.

Have fun,
Ken

Sponsor

Staff online