• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet and Goggle Review--Smith Vantage/iOS vs Giro Range mips/Contact

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
These two helmets were tested last week head to head (and back to back on the same runs!) in the Sierra mountains. The review is on the "overall" fit and functionality of the products, rather than a particular lens to use on a particular day. It was a super sunny day....so we used the "sunny day" lens.

IMG_0306.jpg

Smith Vantage and iOS Goggle Combo

Sizes tested: Large, and iOS is a "Medium" sized Goggle
Design: NGT

Combo:

Smith came out with the venerable Vantage helmet and iOS Goggle some 3 years ago. It's a time-tested design, that is undeniably the most popular helmet on the market today. Smith is long the leader in Goggle/Helmet combos. The combo fits PERFECTLY with no gaper gap, and perfect fitment all around.
Helmet:

The Vantage fits my round head perfectly. Vents are fantastic and there are two of them on the top of the helmet that are easy to work with gloves in any conditions. They are adjustable--namely you can let in a little or a lot of air. Pretty good feature for this "hot-head".

The Biggest ISSUE with this helmet, in my experience, is the location of the BOA adjuster on the back of the helmet; namely, it's too low on the neck and when you turn your head, the helmet either loosens or tightens, if even a few clicks. VERY annoying.

Goggle:

The iOS goggle is a tried and trued design, and the lenses haven't changed all that much...I currently have the red and green Sol-X, the Blue Sensor, the Rose Persimmon, and the High Intensity Yellow. Seems to go throughout the range from high sun to low light.

Negatives on the goggle include *some* fogging issues, easy scratching both on the outside and the INSIDE of the lens (and yes, I know not to wipe the inside of the SMITH lens), lots of airflow transmitting to the eyeballs (I wear contacts, and it's very sensitive to air flow), and lens quality (more about this later).

• Who is this setup for? Accessibility, or those who buy it because it's "available" and popular.
  • Who are they not for? Racers and those looking for the top in lens quality. Those who want to change lenses all that easily.
  • Insider tip: This product has been around for a while, so buy later in the year or summer to get the best prices on last year's color-ways.
IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

Giro Range mips and Contact Goggle Combo

Sizes tested: Large, and the Contact is a Large/Oversized Goggle
Design: new for 2015/16

Combo:

The Giro Range/Contact combo fits perfectly together, as expected by any company doing both a goggle and helmet (and both these are at the top end of their range).

Helmet:

The fit of the Giro Range is an interesting one. The helmet wraps around the bottom of the head more than the Smith, and when you pull the BOA closure (which is perfectly located) it doesn't just pull the inside of the helmet around your head, but rather innovatively, Giro has made it so that the entire helmet moves larger or smaller. Kind of a cool design.

The helmet fits those with a round to oval head. Not a full oval/egg shaped, but definitely not as "round" as the Vantage. I felt a bit of pinch in the lower head/upper neck area when I first put on the helmet, although after re-adjusting and skiing with it I didn't experience too much discomfort. "Different" is the word I would describe the fit. My test-partner (my dad) doesn't report any such issues.
This helmet needs quite a bit of adjustment when you put it on to get set into the head--you place it on the head, pull it down with the BOA fully loose, and then tighten accordingly. No "grab and go".

Venting is not as good as the smith, as there isn't the option that the smith has with the two vents on top of the head.

Another negative is that the helmet is VERY noisy--a lot of wind gets into the ear flaps when you ski. Not an issue with a balaclava, but if you're like me and you like a bare head, the wind compared to the Smith is rather annoying.

Goggle:

Whoa. The Zeiss lens tech is SIMPLY AMAZING. WAY better than the Smith lens quality. Optics were spot on, and upon changing goggles from the smith to the Giro, it looked like the Smith was basically "muddy" and wasn't near as clear.

The Giro lens also didn't allow any wind to get in. These goggles are TOP NOTCH, and optical clarity and snow detail is awesome. I could literally ski faster in these goggles because of the little things I could pick up on the snow, and the fact that I felt as if no wind was penetrating thegoggle.

By far the best goggle I have ever used.

• Who is this setup for? Speedmongers. Those who want the absolute best in quality and performance out of a lens. Those with an oval-ish head who don't want a BOA that is constantly annoying and comes loose or tight when you move your head side to side.
  • Who are they not for? Anyone on a budget, or those with a round head (helmet).
  • Insider tip: Make sure to get a goggle that matches your poles, @Philpug says this is most important. (And make sure to get the proper lens for the condition you are going to ski. Although the goggle comes with two lenses, they differ depending on the color of the goggle you're purchasing.)

IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg

ScottK

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Would the Giro Contact Goggle be compatible with Smith Vantage Helmet? Sort of the best of both worlds?

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Would the Giro Contact Goggle be compatible with Smith Vantage Helmet? Sort of the best of both worlds?

Scott, we tried, and your mileage may vary. I thought that it would...and I was right (somewhat) in the "fittment" that they "work" together but are not "seamless" together if that makes sense?

I'll post some pictures of the two together over the next few days.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a oval head shape and the Giro Range just doesn't work for me. Puts too much pressure on my forehead and is loose around the temples/ears. The more I tighten the worse the forehead pressure gets, literally feels like my head is being squeezed by a vice! Also as noted above the thin ear pads leave a good deal of space/air gap by the ear-flap helmet shell interface, as does the helmet. I'm at the upper size range of the Medium (same size as my Giro Ionos bike helmet), Range in a large being much too big.

I wasn't going to try the vantage due to all reviews including gearlab dot com test saying its for round heads. Most helmets on the market seem to be for round heads and none of them fit me. I was surprised when the Vantage MIPS size Large fit rather well. Also has room to adjust up if I feel the need to wear a hat under it, which I have not, it's warm with vents closed.

Visually I like the Giro Range MIPS svelte shape futuristic look. To me the Vantage helmets shape is stupid goofy looking, it reminds me of a WWl British army helmet!

Goggle interface. I returned the Range before actually using it with goggles skiing. Keep the Vantage MIPS. Vantage interfaces perfectly with my old (second model year), Smith IO goggles, when skiing fast I feel no air between the goggle/helmet interface.
Well the Anon MIG fits the Vantage's shape without Gapper Gap, it does have a air leak there when skiing fast. Also the physical size of the MIG goggle causes the Vantage helmet to fit with a ever so slightly higher tilt upward on my head. Only I love the magnetic face mask. May have to try another model of ANON goggle with magnetic face mask.
So there you have it, Anon MIG "fits but not seamless".

midwestfabs

Booting up
Skier
i had both set ups in large. smith w/ smith io/x googles (replaced the helmet after a nasty spill that actually cracked the inside foam of the helmet). really like the set up. both were are 2012/13 model.

upon researching the giro mips was available so i bought that w/ the giro contact googles instead of a new smith vantage helmet. figured the mips couldn't hurt. it kind of looks little more 'bubbly' than smith helmet, but guessing that is b/c of the mips system.

as for the googles, as for optics both are awesome. i like the fit a lot better of the giro and the magnetic interchangeable system is very useful especially w/ gloves on. i found it also to be better seal around the face, i.e. foam part than smith goggles i/ox. the giro goggles seem to be tad wider and i don't feel like the foam seal on the outer rim of the goggles sit right up against the outside part the eye if that makes sense. giro sit back a bit towards the temple area. this could be due to the shape/size of my melon. one thing i like about the smith is the buckle in the back of the strap, makes it easier to put on and take off vs the giro is a continuous strap system.

as for the helmet, found the ventilation for both to be great, but the smith bit better. find the giro tad warmer, but the smith seems to have more/bigger vents than the giro and also more venting configuration than the giro. adjusting the giro seems easier w/ gloves on. the smith seemed to have the boa adjustment knob sit further down the neck than the giro. the magnetic chin strap clip on the giro is really nice compared to the traditional locking clip and w/ gloves super easy to to use. fit wise i like the giro better. seems like when one adjust the helmet you don't get that 'tight/pinch' feeling on the back of your head like other helmet boa systems. its more of a uniform tight fit throughout the whole head

can't remember where i read/saw this and so not sure how accurate the statement really is, but supposedly to get the best fit and appropriate use of the mips system one has to loosen the helmet then re-tighten vs the boa system where once you set it its pretty much done. this could have been on some review and was just the view of the reviewer.

attached is picture of the giro helmet w/ the smith i/ox goggles. my avatar shows smith vantage and smith i/ox integrations a bit as well.

IMG_0394.jpg IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0392.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
I got this years Smith Vantage after my Smith Variant required too much duct tape and epoxy to stay together.

The new Vantage has the Koroyd system. Essentially this is a honeycomb type of plastic that flows air through it. It's supposed to be 30% better than the old foam at impact. How and who determines that is a detail ignored by marketers, so take it with a grain of salt. It has negative insulating properties that's for sure.

Ok, I'll say it right out. If you ski in a cold place this helmet, the Smith Vantage, sucks. It's freezing. The problem with Koroyd is it transfers any air that gets in to your head. Open honeycomb is also very efficient at transfering cold in as heat out. Smith seemed to focus on the later and forget the former. The obsession with venting is simply moronic. The Vantage even has perma ducts in the back that are always open. Before Induct taped them closed. This is a cold weather sport and at times it's seriously cold. This is the first helmet I've had that's colder than a hat. What a joke.

The Variant Brim helmet I got years ago was already a step down in warmth from a Giro and an Ovo (now defunct brand). This one is beyond that. You need a hood to put over it with this helmet because if it gets cold you'll freeze.

Smith Vantage = Disaster
Practically requires a head covering underneath in cold weather.
Truly a disgrace.

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I got this years Smith Vantage after my Smith Variant required too much duct tape and epoxy to stay together.

The new Vantage has the Koroyd system. Essentially this is a honeycomb type of plastic that flows air through it. It's supposed to be 30% better than the old foam at impact. How and who determines that is a detail ignored by marketers, so take it with a grain of salt. It has negative insulating properties that's for sure.

Ok, I'll say it right out. If you ski in a cold place this helmet, the Smith Vantage, sucks. It's freezing. The problem with Koroyd is it transfers any air that gets in to your head and also cold. The obsession with venting is simply moronic. This is a cold weather sport and at times it's seriously cold.

The Variant Brim helmet I got years ago was already a step down in warmth from a Giro and an Ovo (now defuct brand)

Good to know as someone with a shaved head, it can get chilly. I've got some duct tape holding my old Vantage together now, maybe I'll milk it a bit longer. Of course tomorrow it's supposed to be 73 degrees in the Poconos so a little extra ventilation might be appreciated.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Wow and here I thought that the Smith Vantage was significantly warmer than my past helmets.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's odd, I too thought the Vantage MIPS I have is warm but its only the second ski helmet I've owned, the other a RED HiFi MIPS. Ah, whatever, gotta go with what fits.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think it may depend on how much you tighten the back knob. If you look at the helmet underneath you'll see the lining pull away at the front as you tighten. This let's air in. Once it gets in it's cold. There's almost no lining to this helmet.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ well you must have the non-mips version. With the Vantage MIPS, the front of the lining is attached to the MIPS layer via velcro, it can't move.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Variance and a Vantage, and haven't noticed being cold in either. I do wear a hood on really cold days, but I already did that. (I have a lot of hair, though.)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For me one of the pluses of the Vantage MIPS is the size Large fit dials down probably smaller then the advertised size to fit me and can be dialed up to wear a hat underneath on very cold days. And thankfully I still have allot of hair too ;)

Sponsor