• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello........New to forum

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello everyone,

I've been viewing this forum for a while now for the great advice. Figured it was time to join the discussion. I live in Hailey, ID and ski about 20 days a year. I was a snowboarder until about 5 or so years ago when my son started skiing. It was so much easier to help him while on skis than a snowboard. After a while, I decided skiing was more enjoyable so I stuck with it.

I ski with my wife and two kids 10 yo boy, 6 yo girl. Now and then with my stepson (20) who is a snowboard instructor. It has been a long journey of bunny hills and slow going with my wife and I taking turns on a solo run or two. This year has been a breakthrough, as things really started clicking for my daughter. She's now able to ski black diamonds, seeks out powder, and has picked up the pace. Now I just need to get my legs in shape.

Wish everyone a great season, and look forward to some good discussions.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Welcome, @Codger! I'm sure someone will post an answer to your question, and congratulations on learning how to post!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Sorry but I was confused how to post so there may be multiple replies on my first try. I am interested in learning what the trails are like at sun valley( wide open,trees,difficulty/steepness ) and whether their snowmaking is overhyped or does create good conditions in a low snow year. Thanks
SV is amazing. There is something for everyone and always has been. This is the original destination ski resort in North America and is still a great target for most any resort to model themselves on. Baldy, the main mountain, is perhaps the most continually steep ski area there is, bud don't let that scare you. Plenty of owide well groomed runs for any ability or mood you might be in. SV has a history of not opening till conditions are good, they will be good now. They are a lower elevation resort which means they will close earlier than CO or the higher UT resorts, but it can be glorious in February and March. Just go; you will not be sorry.

To seal some very famous and true words: "If you don't go now, you will be another year older when you do".

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! Love skiing with family. My son is my favorite skiing partner.

TS
Idahosnow

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
@Codger Sorry, I haven't logged in for a while. It is a tough snow year in SV and unseasonably warm. It is true that SV does a great job at grooming and making snow. We open Thanksgiving weekend pretty much every year. This year's snow making has been harder due to the warm weather. We have already had some spring like snow conditions and some runs are starting to close already. Hopefully, the cold weather will return and bring some snow.

There is a lot of terrain for everyone at SV with very long runs. Not a lot of trees/trails but you can find them if that is what you are after. There are some excellent wide open runs as well as steeps. It is a great place for skiing fast. My favorite thing about SV is lots of runs and short lift lines. A 5 minute wait seems really long.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January