• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello, from Seabrook, TX

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
...but I'm not _that_ kind of Texan... ogwink

First, sincere thanks to all who created and now maintain these forums. I am another Epic migrant, and very glad to find this community. I learned much from Epic forums, and met many kind, helpful and patient people there in just one season participating. I was sad to see it closed, but happy to find this place.

Not much worth saying about me. I'm late to skiing: about to turn 61, and skied for the first time in March, 2015 (thank you, Wolf Creek instructor!). I save all vacation days for winter road trips to NM and CO to ski and snowshoe into backcountry. Wish I'd come to the sport sooner, but I'm trying to make up for lost time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for joining Pugski.
Glad to have you become one of us, because now, you are...one of us.

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you, Tricia. I can already tell that this is a fun, helpful and warm community.

snowfan, I probably pass near you on each trip to the mountains, since I usually run the fabled 287/87 gauntlet. If there is any place with wilder weather than the panhandle, I haven't found it. Always an adventure in driving...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone who jumps right in an makes an Avatar..is OK in my book.

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, thank you, Philpug! Even more impressive is that I scarcely know what an avatar is. Google search, here I come... :)

seeing that you are a forum administrator, I must take this chance to thank you. The old Epic forums added much to my skiing experience last year; these forums more than make up for its loss, so I am grateful to you and your colleagues.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Eddie, welcome, like your avatar.
Is that top of chair 2 at Taos?

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello, KingGrump. Thank you for the warm welcome (and now I know what an avatar is). Yes, that was top of the lift at Taos, with the magnificent view beyond. I'm impressed - you must know the mountain well. My brothers and I (in photo) spent 2.5 happy days there last February (my second visit there of the season). Do you ski there often? It is quite a journey from NYC. I love the place, and finally skied many of the black runs competently - not a big deal for most people on these forums, but a big step for me.
Cheers
Eddie

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello, KingGrump. Thank you for the warm welcome (and now I know what an avatar is). Yes, that was top of the lift at Taos, with the magnificent view beyond. I'm impressed - you must know the mountain well. My brothers and I (in photo) spent 2.5 happy days there last February (my second visit there of the season). Do you ski there often? It is quite a journey from NYC. I love the place, and finally skied many of the black runs competently - not a big deal for most people on these forums, but a big step for me.
Cheers
Eddie

Hi Eddie, I do get out there quite a bit. Been skiing Taos since 1988. Great place.
Impressed with handling the black runs competently at Taos after only 2.5 seasons.
As Snowfan said, we will always suck. hopefully on a higher level.

Give me a shout if you are in Taos anytime during Jan/Feb next season. We'll make a few turns together.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The first girl I ever kissed ('67 I think) was from Seabrook Texas - she was real cute too! You're not married to a Mary Ellen are you?:roflmao:

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
The first girl I ever kissed ('67 I think) was from Seabrook Texas - she was real cute too! You're not married to a Mary Ellen are you?:roflmao:
Hello, Fuller! No, I don't know a Mary Ellen, but if she was that cute I'm now going to keep my eyes open. :)

It is a small world, and it gets smaller every day...

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi Eddie, I do get out there quite a bit. Been skiing Taos since 1988. Great place.
Impressed with handling the black runs competently at Taos after only 2.5 seasons.
As Snowfan said, we will always suck. hopefully on a higher level.

Give me a shout if you are in Taos anytime during Jan/Feb next season. We'll make a few turns together.

Hello, KingGrump (you don't seem so grumpy - perhaps only a princegrump?). It would be a treat to see you there - thank you for the kind offer. I usually have to ski by myself, so meeting a friend on the slopes would be most welcome company. I do hope to ski Taos this season, probably during a whirlwind road trip via Crested Butte, Monarch, Wolf Creek and Taos early in January, before and/or after a business trip to Los Alamos, NM. Let's keep each other posted.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
... and skied for the first time in March, 2015 ...

No kidding. I also started skiing in that season! Are you sure you are not my brother? :)

Welcome home - I think you got us right. This is indeed a vibrant, but most than anything, a welcoming, warm community. @KingGrump is grumpy indeed, but we love him, for some reason :) I've skied with a few of the Pugsters already, and I don't even know how to ski.

If you come to Tahoe, you'll find some of us us well. Basically, if you look around the Resorts area, you can drop a line in the thread for the area you are going and you will definitely hook up with some folks. There is also a March gathering that you might wanna check out.

Anyways, welcome to the community, and I gotta say, I love you attitude, I think you'll fit right in!

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Hey Snowfan,

If your in Los Alamos drop in to Ski Santa Fe, we are a smaller version of Taos. Steeps, trees and plenty of groomed:). I’m there 5 days a week (teaching) I sometimes go to Taos if my legs aren’t too trashed on my days off.

BTW @KingGrump I’m really amazed that you spotted the top of lift 2 at Taos! I’ve lived here since 1982 and I didn’t pick up on it, but then I’m on an iPad and the pic was much smaller, or at least that’s my excuse:).

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Welcome, neighbor @Eddie S ! Maybe we can meet up some time, have a beer and talk skiing. I too was late to the sport, having started in my early fifties.

Sponsor

Staff online