• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Finally got around to sign up, but been enjoying this site for a while now. Great reviews, and a lot more insight here, than on most other forums around the internet.

Mostly ski the alps, but also the scandinavian resorts when snow becomes is lacking in the alps, and that have been the case early season the last 4 years. Looking better this year :)

Did the NE when i was living in Boston, so did Sunapee, wildcat, Mad River Glen (what a place - love it!) and some other places in NE.

Great to be here!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hej @DanishRider ! Copenhagen ("Kobenhavn" I think?) was the first place in Europe I ever visited.... and just loved it. Though I guess "Mainland Denmark" would mean the part connected to Germany, not the islands closer to Sweden?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Danish pride! I have a lot of relatives in Denmark. Need to get there sometime -- nearest I have been is Berlin though.

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
@dbostedo København is correct - Not many know that :) Yes i am living on the "part connected to Germany" called Jutland, but i work most of the time in Copenhagen. That is the thing about Denmark, that the size makes is possible to go through all major parts within one day, and if you are really lucky, you can see all four seasons in one afternoon :P Copenhagen is on the island about 3 miles from Sweden. If you look at a map, you will discover how dodgy looking this country is:D

@Dave Petersen You name suggest being from my neck of the woods - (Peter)sen in your last name = danish and (Peter)son in you last name = swede;-) You should go here - Norwegian have tons of cheap tickets from the both the eat and west coast to CPH - I believe you can get a roundtrip for 600$ if you lucky - Had a 300$ once going to Boston, but believe that tickets from the west coast will not be exposed to as much competition. Berlin is one of my faves - work there often, and that is honestly one of the best big cities! So much stuff to do! Berlin is a 6 hour drive from me (or 40 minute flight).

Totally forgot - Much of my wife's family lives in Park City Utah - What is the best mountains around there? The Park City resort doesn't look all to good, but maps can be deceiving!

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@dbostedo København is correct - Not many know that :) Yes i am living on the "part connected to Germany" called Jutland, but i work most of the time in Copenhagen. That is the thing about Denmark, that the size makes is possible to go through all major parts within one day, and if you are really lucky, you can see all four seasons in one afternoon :P Copenhagen is on the island about 3 miles from Sweden. If you look at a map, you will discover how dodgy looking this country is:D

@Dave Petersen You name suggest being from my neck of the woods;-) You should go here - Norwegian have tons of cheap tickets from the both the eat and west coast to CPH - I believe you can get a roundtrip for 600$ if you lucky - Had a 300$ once going to Boston, but believe that tickets from the west coast will not be exposed to as much competition. Berlin is one of my faves - work there often, and that is honestly one of the best big cities! So much stuff to do! Berlin is a 6 hour drive from me (or 40 minute flight).

Totally forgot - Much of my wife's family lives in Park City Utah - What is the best mountains around there? The Park City resort doesn't look all to good, but maps can be deceiving!

Both sets of grandparents came here from Denmark. We grew up very Danish: celebrating Christmas on Christmas Eve, open-face sandwiches, afternoon coffee and pastries when you have visitors, hard-core Lutherans, blonde and blue-eyed...

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Both sets of grandparents came here from Denmark. We grew up very Danish: celebrating Christmas on Christmas Eve, open-face sandwiches, afternoon coffee and pastries when you have visitors, hard-core Lutherans, blonde and blue-eyed...
Flags in the birthday cake too:rolleyes: ... Christmas on the 24th ?

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
There is A LOT of skiing near Park City:
Park City Mountain Resort
Deer Valley
The Canyons
Solitude
Brighton
Alta
Snowbird

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
There is A LOT of skiing near Park City:
Park City Mountain Resort
Deer Valley
The Canyons
Solitude
Brighton
Alta
Snowbird

The family says Alta and Snowbird is the places to be - Hope to go in feb. next year! I think we can get free passes to Park City, but am i right assuming that there isn't enough area for a whole week?

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The family says Alta and Snowbird is the places to be - Hope to go in feb. next year! I think we can get free passes to Park City, but am i right assuming that there isn't enough area for a whole week?

I have taken quite a few trips to that part of Utah and spent the whole week skiing. There are easy shuttle trips from Park City to Big/Little Cottonwood Canyons. Plus when you ski Park City, Deer Valley is on the one side, and The Canyons is on the other. All of these resorts are super easy to get to from the airport in Salt Lake City.
utah map.jpg

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have taken quite a few trips to that part of Utah and spent the whole week skiing. There are easy shuttle trips from Park City to Big/Little Cottonwood Canyons. Plus when you ski Park City, Deer Valley is on the one side, and the Canyons is on the other. All of these resorts are super easy to get to from the airport in Salt Lake City.
View attachment 32240
Are they connected by lifts? It would make the area quite a lot bigger! Looking at the picture, it seems that there is quite a lot more skiing around that area than i expected. Are they all on the same pass, or do i need to get for each area? Liftpass prices in the US is extreme:Cristmassnow:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In addition to the resorts mentioned above, Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are also not far away. Folks on this site would largely say that Alta and Snowbird are the best in that area, because of the variety and difficulty of the terrain. But there is no village or town associated with them, where Park City is a lively mountain town.

The annual "Gathering" this year is the first week of march, split between Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbird.

As far as Park City being enough for a week, I would say that it is for a lot of folks. But it really depends on what you're looking for. Keep in mind that Park City and Canyons are one large sprawling resort now (known as "Park City Mountain Resort"). Not quite like the interconnected areas in the Alps, but large for North America. It's not known for long continuous runs, or steeps/expert areas, but is very popular.

Here's a list of ski areas around (within a few hundred miles of) Salt Lake City. You can see how the basic size of Park City and Canyons (which are one resort now) compare to others : http://mountainvertical.com/best-utah-snowboarding-skiing-parkcity.php

There has been talk of connecting PCMR, Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude by lifts (and Deer Valley by getting rid of the rope between it and PCMR - they already touch each other). It's know as "One Wasatch" (they are in the Wasatch mountains), and has a lot of opposition by folks from the area who don't want any more development.

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
In addition to the resorts mentioned above, Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are also not far away. Folks on this site would largely say that Alta and Snowbird are the best in that area, because of the variety and difficulty of the terrain. But there is no village or town associated with them, where Park City is a lively mountain town.

The annual "Gathering" this year is the first week of march, split between Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbird.

As far as Park City being enough for a week, I would say that it is for a lot of folks. But it really depends on what you're looking for. Keep in mind that Park City and Canyons are one large sprawling resort now (known as "Park City Mountain Resort"). Not quite like the interconnected areas in the Alps, but large for North America. It's not known for long continuous runs, or steeps/expert areas, but is very popular.

Here's a list of ski areas around (within a few hundred miles of) Salt Lake City. You can see how the basic size of Park City and Canyons (which are one resort now) compare to others : http://mountainvertical.com/best-utah-snowboarding-skiing-parkcity.php

There has been talk of connecting PCMR, Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude by lifts (and Deer Valley by getting rid of the rope between it and PCMR - they already touch each other). It's know as "One Wasatch" (they are in the Wasatch mountains), and has a lot of opposition by folks from the area who don't want any more development.
So much skiing to do - I guess one week will leavde me wanting more there - So tradeoff is another week with the in-laws is worth the +miles in the area (they are really nice people, so don't get me wrong):D:cool:

Last edited:

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
DanishRider, Greetings and Welcome! I skied one cold, beautiful, morning at Brighton, in early March, 2012 and loved it. It's in Big Cottonwood canyon, up the road from Solitude. It's very pretty. I have friends in the Salt Lake City area; the only criticism I've heard about Brighton is that its terrain is not as challenging as Alta's or Snowbird's. Alta feels and looks "wilder" and more rugged, and it was wonderful to ski. Snowbird was gorgeous on a bluebird day. Solitude was OK, although I didn't ski Honeycomb Canyon - which, I've heard, is very nice. Have a Great Winter!

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
DanishRider, Greetings and Welcome! I skied one cold, beautiful, morning at Brighton, in early March, 2012 and loved it. It's in Big Cottonwood canyon, up the road from Solitude. It's very pretty. I have friends in the Salt Lake City area; the only criticism I've heard about Brighton is that its terrain is not as challenging as Alta's or Snowbird's. Alta feels and looks "wilder" and more rugged, and it was wonderful to ski. Snowbird was gorgeous on a bluebird day. Solitude was OK, although I didn't ski Honeycomb Canyon - which, I've heard, is very nice. Have a Great Winter!
So much skiing to do in the Rockies - can’t wait to go West ( as in far West from me).