• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Heavy vs. Light AT Setups

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
haha thanks. Fortunate to be in CO in a good snow year with good partners. Here are a few pics from my adventures.

Hoosier Pass

IMG_4460 (1).JPG

Looking at our first run
IMG_4469 (1).JPG

I'm in the blue helmet

IMG_4471 (1).JPG

Independence Pass
Looking toward the Geisslers
IMG_4506 (1).JPG

Looking back toward the pass
IMG_4517.JPG

On the new boards
IMG_4522 (1).JPG

A Basin
IMG_4527 (2).JPG

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I've procured the La Ninas with Kingpins and am very happy.

And, very lucky, considering the thread "Marker Stops Selling Kingpin Binding"

That photo with the fox, I suppose, we already know that you are lucky.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
And, very lucky, considering the thread "Marker Stops Selling Kingpin Binding"

That photo with the fox, I suppose, we already know that you are lucky.

Haha for sure! I've only used them a few times so we'll see how they hold up. I feel like I'm in the minority. Markers have worked just fine for me in both touring and alpine bindings.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I got rid of all my Dukes and am strictly running Dynafit for binders. I will never go back.

I don't think anyone mentioned the noise of the Dukes. It's this awful metal and plastic clanging with each heavy step. They also require a lot of scraping when you get a little wet snow in there. Your boot also sits real high on your ski in Dukes.

I think the pipe used belongs to whoever is breaking trail. They get it ready while everyone catches up.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I got rid of all my Dukes and am strictly running Dynafit for binders. I will never go back.

I don't think anyone mentioned the noise of the Dukes. It's this awful metal and plastic clanging with each heavy step. They also require a lot of scraping when you get a little wet snow in there. Your boot also sits real high on your ski in Dukes.

I think the pipe used belongs to whoever is breaking trail. They get it ready while everyone catches up.

I used F10 Tours for a brief time and the sound was not nice along with everything else, heavy, felt like i was going to break the frame traversing a slope etc.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Not to mention that you have to exit the binding to switch modes, which could be seen as a safety factor I suppose, but a deal killer for me.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Not to mention that you have to exit the binding to switch modes, which could be seen as a safety factor I suppose, but a deal killer for me.

In a dicey location is it safer to pull the skins off with the skis on than to take the skis off? I can do it, I sometimes do, but I don't do it in a location where I am in a no fall situation. In those situations I keep the downhill ski on, take the uphill ski then the skin off, lock the binding, and replace it. Turn 180* and repeat. I always have an edge in the snow, I'm not doing gymnastics and I don't post hole.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
In a dicey location is it safer to pull the skins off with the skis on than to take the skis off? I can do it, I sometimes do, but I don't do it in a location where I am in a no fall situation. In those situations I keep the downhill ski on, take the uphill ski then the skin off, lock the binding, and replace it. Turn 180* and repeat. I always have an edge in the snow, I'm not doing gymnastics and I don't post hole.

I think it depends on your facility with taking skins off without taking skis off. Either can be done safely. My AIARE1 instructor and guide for our class/3-day hut trip did often repeat the mantra "boots, bindings, skins" as the most efficient way to transition. That is, strap your boots, step into your bindings, then rip your skins. This makes sense to me on terrain up to about 35 degrees. Over that and I would be nervous about the cross-over action required to rip skins.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you're taking the skins off you're on a slope of 30 degrees of less.

Take the the uphill ski off, put uphill boot on the snow below the downhill ski, plant the ski you took off with the tail in the snow to anchor yourself, take off the downhill ski.

No need for the 180.

If the snow is so hard the that you think that your boot will slip, put your crampons on.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If you're taking the skins off you're on a slope of 30 degrees of less.

Take the the uphill ski off, put uphill boot on the snow below the downhill ski, plant the ski you took off with the tail in the snow to anchor yourself, take off the downhill ski.

No need for the 180.

If the snow is so hard the that you think that your boot will slip, put your crampons on.

Can crampons be fitted without removing the ski from the boot or gymnastics equal to ripping skins while one footed?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Can crampons be fitted without removing the ski from the boot or gymnastics equal to ripping skins while one footed?

Ski crampons can be fitted without removing the ski.

Boot crampons absolutely need to be removed from the ski. Like...by definition.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Its much easier than removing skins.. I mean, you need to be pretty flexible! but they can be put on the skis without removing them. They usually slide in on the rear of the toe piece of the binding.

Sponsor

Staff online