• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It runs just as hot as the original Doug. I think it has 5 settings. You need to watch which one to use as some of them half 30 minute cut outs. I still have the 12 v one in the bag

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Looking to get a heated boot bag; thinking about Kulkea Thermal Trekker. Do people plug these in overnight to dry boots/gloves? That's something I'm envisioning (I currently do thus with those "stick type" boot dryers) and was wondering if this is safe and/or works.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking to buy a bag for mrsmills boots and one for mine and found a Sportube Toaster Elite that will hold two pair of boots.
Going through Active Junky to ebags and signing up an email for spam, I got 25% off of $225 and will then get 8% cash back from AJ bringing it to $170. With mrsjmills bein

https://www.sportube.com/Toaster-Elite-Heated-Boot-Bag-p/bgste.htm

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking to get a heated boot bag; thinking about Kulkea Thermal Trekker. Do people plug these in overnight to dry boots/gloves? That's something I'm envisioning (I currently do thus with those "stick type" boot dryers) and was wondering if this is safe and/or works.
I do and it works great for that. I skied100 days last year and used the @KULKEA every sing day. Other than some dirt from the boot soles, the bag looks like the first day I used it.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I still love the Transpack TRV Pro and a set of Dry Guy Travel boot dryers. Works fine for me. I love the extra space.
The Transpack heated boot back is a great product too. I just wish it had more room. I like to pack some warm, dry après duds.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I do and it works great for that. I skied100 days last year and used the @KULKEA every sing day. Other than some dirt from the boot soles, the bag looks like the first day I used it.

Sweet! Wife is looking for a b-day present for me, and this sounds like a great idea!
As Phil said, we do this, which is really nice when we're traveling and don't want to lug extra dryers, etc.
The only issue I've had with drying my gear in the bag over night is when I was skiing spring snow that was super wet that got into my boots and created extra moisture. If that happens, I know to take my liners out of the boots and let them dry a bit first, or dry them outside the bag. Those times are extremely rare.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As Phil said, we do this, which is really nice when we're traveling and don't want to lug extra dryers, etc.
The only issue I've had with drying my gear in the bag over night is when I was skiing spring snow that was super wet that got into my boots and created extra moisture. If that happens, I know to take my liners out of the boots and let them dry a bit first, or dry them outside the bag. Those times are extremely rare.
I just received the Sportube Toaster Elite which holds 2 pair of boots and after loading them both in overnight I was wondering about how to load them as they weren't as toasty as I was hoping. The included instructions advise to lay the boots on their side with the boot opening against the side of bag and stacking the second pair the same way.
With a single pair would you load the same way or drop them in standing up? I loaded mine this morning standing up and and came home and put them on and can tell the shell is warm but am comparing them to how they feel after laying them in front of the rear heather of my Tahoe which got the liner toasty.
Are my expectations unrealistic or do your bags work into the liner?

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I just received the Sportube Toaster Elite which holds 2 pair of boots and after loading them both in overnight I was wondering about how to load them as they weren't as toasty as I was hoping. The included instructions advise to lay the boots on their side with the boot opening against the side of bag and stacking the second pair the same way.
With a single pair would you load the same way or drop them in standing up? I loaded mine this morning standing up and and came home and put them on and can tell the shell is warm but am comparing them to how they feel after laying them in front of the rear heather of my Tahoe which got the liner toasty.

I don't have a heated bag...yet, however I wonder is this is a matter of perspective. It might be that they don't appear to be that warm because it isn't that cold. In January you might think differently. You should also consider what is warm enough. I would bet the Tahoe could get them warmer since it's heater was designed to heat the Tahoe and not a pair of boots. Though this might feel better when putting them on, we need to remember that temperature cycling (going from too hot to too cold) stresses the plastic and shortens the life. We are going to do this anyway because the boots go from the house to outside to the lodge to outside, but a heater in a car, especially by the vent, is going to be a bit hotter than the ambient temperature of most homes or lodges.

The flip side is it might not matter as this doesn't shorten the life of the boots that much more. Most avid skiers will go through boots quicker than they will break down so it is probably a moot point.

Maybe put the heated boot bag on the rear heater of the Tahoe and see what that yields?

Ken

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't seen this bag. Can you post pics of it?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Car heaters usually work by blowing air across radiating fins attached to heater lines. The coolant temperature in a car runs between 180℉ & 220℉. The air coming out of the vents are slightly cooler but the temps drop pretty quick once it mixes with the ambient air in the cabin.
Heated boot bags runs at a much lower temp. IIRC, 140-160 range.

To put thing in perspective. Home hot water heater are normally set to 140℉. Lot more mass in water though.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Car heaters usually work by blowing air across radiating fins attached to heater lines. The coolant temperature in a car runs between 180℉ & 220℉. The air coming out of the vents are slightly cooler but the temps drop pretty quick once it mixes with the ambient air in the cabin.
Heated boot bags runs at a much lower temp. IIRC, 140-160 range.

To put thing in perspective. Home hot water heater are normally set to 140℉. Lot more mass in water though.
If you move your front passenger seat all the way forward, put your boots under the heater, and pile large insulated winter clothes in the opening you can get it hot enough to almost melt your boots and immediately pack out your liner.

Personal experience says gentle heated boot bag is best.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you move your front passenger seat all the way forward, put your boots under the heater, and pile large insulated winter clothes in the opening you can get it hot enough to almost melt your boots and immediately pack out your liner.

Convection oven.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Personal experience says gentle heated boot bag is best.
Experience is a great teacher.

I once melted a ski pole basked in a VW Beetle, it was next to the rear heater. I went to take my poles out of the car and the basket was a big blob of plastic.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
These are a simple solution, if you like your boot bag. They are 30 bucks and they work.
Plug them into the cigarette lighter on your way up. Afterwards, you plug them into the cigarette lighter and dry on the way home. They work on 12 V or 110.They do not heat your boots as hot as a heated boot bag, but they are plenty warm for me.
9BA20407-DA23-4926-AA42-95DBB840F825.png

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For those looking for a way to just dry and warm their boots (slope side housing etc.), these work really well. Just a slow warming that dries and warms boots overnight.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Had never heard of the heated bags until now!

We approached my wife's cold boot problem from the other direction and invested in Lenz heated socks. Have never looked back. Still dry the boots overnight with a Thermic dryer. Have the Dryguy travel heaters (the orange ones, above) as well. Nice and small and light.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These are a simple solution, if you like your boot bag. They are 30 bucks and they work.
Plug them into the cigarette lighter on your way up. Afterwards, you plug them into the cigarette lighter and dry on the way home. They work on 12 V or 110.They do not heat your boots as hot as a heated boot bag, but they are plenty warm for me.
View attachment 55712

I have a pair of those I bring for trips that involve an airplane. They work really well. I put them in after skiing and in the morning the boots are dry, warm and sooo easy to put on. I don't know why I never thought of using them in the car on the way to local mountains.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are low cost solutions for what a heated boot bag accomplishes. That said having a solid heated boot bag is a total luxury that once part of my routine became a priority. I have a Lange (Hotgear I think) that is really nice, rugged and affordable purchased on sale. But after getting a look at the Kulkea I've been hoping someone would steal the Lange so I can justify the Kulkea (not cheap).

Leaving the Lange in the lodge unattended hasn't worked, I might need to put it out on the curb. The Kulkea heated bag is the bomb. I admit I do have some sort of weird thing for luggage.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid