• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know someone else who's not on this forum that LOVES her hot gear bag. I don't have cold feet issues and my dry guy boot dryer dries out boots just fine overnight. If I were to buy a heated boot bag it would be the hot gear.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
OK. I would love a heated boot bag. My problem is when I'm coaching, I carry so much crap, that I need a huge boot bag. When I looked at all the heated bags, they all seemed to have enough room for the boots but not much more. I use the Swix Tri Pack and it is 65L. If Kulkea heats that 69L Trekker bag they have, that would be great.

My answer to this has been to put my boots on the floor board of the car and/or put those orange Dry Guy Boot warmers on my way to the mountain. Depends on how cold it is and how much of a "Princess" (well earned nick name from the other coaches) I'm being. I LOVE skiing but I HATE being cold. As soon as I park, in the back they go. Inside I get to put on warm boots.

Slight tangent - What is it about race coaches that makes them all want to suffer and then wear it like a badge of courage? Eff that! God gave me a brain and a credit card for a reason!

I'm also hoping the new boots I got at the end of last season (Lange RS 130) remain warmer than my Salomons (XMax 120) were. I know Lange race boots aren't thought of as being a warm boot, but because they are a full size larger than the XMax were, the liner wasn't heat molded to nothing leaving me with no insulation like in the XMax. Even with boot heaters my feet would get cold. I didn't get the Langes until mid March but my feet were warm the whole time. In fact, I have to remember to move my boot heaters over.

Does anyone know anything about the Kulkea heated bag size?

Ken

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
How much gear do you need to carry? From what I've read, Hot Gear bags can take a shell, a mid layer, a couple pairs of gloves, socks, goggles, snacks, no problem.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Ken, I am going slightly off topic.here, but, have you tried heated socks?
A coach I know here uses those and, howw they say, swears by them.
In fact was using those during his last years as racer before moving on and becoming a ski instructor/race coach.

M.

L&AirC

Skier
How much gear do you need to carry? From what I've read, Hot Gear bags can take a shell, a mid layer, a couple pairs of gloves, socks, goggles, snacks, no problem.

There's the radio and harness, tape measure (not the pocket type but for gates), extra hand warmers because kids always forget to put them in, some tools, back up goggles, liner/shirt change to deal with varying weather, reference material, roster, change of socks, boot heaters (little orange ones), and all the other ski gear that most bring.

Part of the issue is I don't pack for the day of skiing but for what I might end up doing. Sometimes we have to show up early to set things up for a race or will have to tear the B net down after.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would like to be able to fit more than just the boots! Helmet, bibs, gloves and shell. That would be enough.

The main thing I was looking for is not to have to plug it in the car on the way to the mtn. I wanted a bag that I could charge back home/hotel and then put the boots in while it held a 30-90 minute charge. This way I could stick the bag in the trunk or could keep the boots warm once I left the car when I arrived at the mtn.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I've hung around with the race kids here and there. They have some of the most ginormous bags known to man kind. Most are 65/68 liters. Pads and guards takes up lots of room.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hot Gear Bag will hold a LOT. I used to be able to carry two pairs of boots and one helmet inside and one helmet strapped to the back, hottronics, a passle of hothands (get the feeling we don't like being cold?!) and après hats and parts for the backpacks, and an extra poofy, etc. It has retractable backpack-like straps too and is easy to carry.

Honestly, if it weren't for the repeated failure of the heating elements and, more so, the inability to replace the element when it did crap out, we'd still be using it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ken, I am going slightly off topic.here, but, have you tried heated socks?
A coach I know here uses those and, howw they say, swears by them.
In fact was using those during his last years as racer before moving on and becoming a ski instructor/race coach.

M.

And they're, what, a mere $90 a pair? *shudder*

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
$300 for the set up. Each additional pair of sock is $100.
I thought about my standard requirement of 10 pairs of sock - $1,200. :eek:
Think I'll stick with my Hotronics heater for a while. Let things settle down a bit.

BTW, Hotronic put out their version last season. Prices should be more competitive in the coming seasons.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Hot Gear Pro will hold everything a racer needs for the day. Helmet, boots, suit. back protector, 2 pairs goggles, 2 pairs race gloves, socks, water, coffee and more. I only bring a spare bag to carry the coats I leave at the finish. I've been using them for a long time and had one heater failure. Fuxi replaced it quickly. I never had the 12V system overheat my bag. I use Med over night at home with Fischer Vacuum RC4 Pro 130s. Never too soft.

L&AirC

Skier
Hot Gear Pro will hold everything a racer needs for the day. Helmet, boots, suit. back protector, 2 pairs goggles, 2 pairs race gloves, socks, water, coffee and more. I only bring a spare bag to carry the coats I leave at the finish. I've been using them for a long time and had one heater failure. Fuxi replaced it quickly. I never had the 12V system overheat my bag. I use Med over night at home with Fischer Vacuum RC4 Pro 130s. Never too soft.

How could I forget my coffee and two .75L bottles of water and lunch!

I think I'm going to wait to see what Kulkea comes out with and then go "inimini shishkabini aa baa boo..."

This is encouraging.

Thanks.

L&AirC

Skier
How could I forget my coffee and two .75L bottles of water and lunch!

I think I'm going to wait to see what Kulkea comes out with and then go "inimini shishkabini aa baa boo..."

Thanks.

OK. We all know that isn't true. I'll create at least two spreadsheets and will have spent several hours reading reviews, then ask my wife and whomever else mistakenly walks by for their input, disregard most of it because they don't ski. Read more about it here and then after a two week struggle, decide.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey Grump and Monique the lens heated sock is a pretty good product, I think I paid 270.00 for my old hotronics set up.I've read more than a few posters talk of getting tired of there hotronics , I know I did.When I was at Sun Valley a couple years ago I noticed that shop at the bottom of the warm springs side, Stuart's or something like that sells them and he was saying no one has ever turned there's in.
Grump when you say hotronics have there version is that a heated sock?
If you can't beat them join them ??
As crazy as it sounds if you have circulation issues, you can't give them the money fast enough!!!

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey Grump and Monique the lens heated sock is a pretty good product, I think I paid 270.00 for my old hotronics set up.I've read more than a few posters talk of getting tired of there hotronics , I know I did.When I was at Sun Valley a couple years ago I noticed that shop at the bottom of the warm springs side, Stuart's or something like that sells them and he was saying no one has ever turned there's in.
As crazy as it sounds if you have circulation issues, you can't give them the money fast enough!!!

What brand of heated socks do you have?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

My feet, they sweat a lot. My socks get pretty gross. I just have my doubts about anything with electronics holding up to my washing requirements. And I would want 3-4 pairs.

I know what you mean about circulation issues / getting cold! I wear mittens every ski day, and chemical warmers in them almost every one of those days. I've noticed that when my boot is perfectly fit, my feet are a lot warmer, and I haven't ever gotten feet cold enough that I wanted to go down the electric road again. Often, skiing bumps or trees warms them right up. Just don't make me stand there for 15 minutes while you diagram a turn, you know? Let's GO!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I can buy a complete Hotronics S4 heater set for about $165 during the summer. We run 3 complete sets in my family. I have tons of batteries and parts. Usually the cable gets cut. Takes me about $20 & 15 minutes to replace a heating pad. Usually go through 1 pair of heating pads per person each season in our family. The batteries lasts about 3 seasons.

Hotronic marketed a heated sock set for the same price as Lenz. The Hotronic socks are co-branded Boot Doc.

I tried on the Lenz sock several occasions at my boot guy during the last two seasons. So I'm pretty familiar with them. Just didn't feel they are quite ready for me yet. The Lenz socks are considered as thin ski socks. My boots are molded with ultra-thins. I'm sure they will get around to the ultra-thins some day. The Lenz socks also run big. I like my socks really tight. Even their smallest feels a bit loose on me. Those are the two big fit/performance issues I have with the Lenz socks. Until they remedy those items, it is a definite no go.

From a cost and durability stand point. I'm on skis 100+ days a year. I run a set of 10 pairs of identical ski socks. Smartwool PHD Ultra-lights. Dependable, predictable and no sorting. The entire set of socks get replace every three seasons. The same set up with Lenz would be $1,200. Looking and feeling the Lenz socks, I do not feel they will give me the durability I am looking for.

Right now, I am just sitting on the fence waiting for things to shake out a bit. Not really high on the bleeding edge thing.