• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
I upgraded to a new helmet for this reason--a Smith Camber helmet--no material improvement to the fogging on the inside of my goggles. And my head feels colder from the draft.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Giro Union and fought fogging goggles for 2 hours today and add the fog at Alta and it was a rough start. Was sweating on the first ride up and even after pulling off neck gaiter, which wasn't high on my face, and the turtle fur beanie under my helmet it took awhile to clear.
The real cause though is I have been telling mrsjmills her helmet doesn't fit properly and had her try a couple different helmets at Alta sports. When we got to the car I grabbed her current helmet and made the adjustments to it that I felt were needed. Of course when she tried to put it on she wasn't happy and asked if I changed anything and I made the mistake of admitting to it.
She dealt with it fogging goggles for 10 minutes and I got 2+ hours.

Fogging goggles is caused by stupid decisions

Beerman

Booting up
Skier
I produce huge amounts of steam, even with low levels of exertion, that has always caused my goggles to fog. I have tried almost evey combination of face mask/helmet/giggle and the only solution for me has been the fan driven Knowledge goggle by Smith.
As mentioned by @coops try the Julbo Aerospace Goggles, there is a reason they won an ISPO best of show, gold medal for these Goggles, plus plenty of other awards.

upload_2018-3-29_17-57-23.jpeg

I understand the Abom's work well, but I wouldn't rate the lens tech as high as the Julbo's. Plus there is the weight of the batteries to consider.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I see there's a sale on those at Backcountry

https://www.backcountry.com/julbo-aerospace-goggle-snow-tiger-photochromic

https://www.backcountry.com/julbo-aerospace-goggle-zebra-light-photochromic

What "size" would you call these frames? The Smith I/O7 is too big almost for my face. The Squad fits okay.

Edit. Pulled the trigger on these as I could use my Amazon bucks. Will report back, but they'll only get a handful of days before the season is over here. I actually haven't had too much issue with fogging this season, mostly because I'm not pushing as much as I used to. But there were days in which I was wiping my face and the inside lens (yes, I know you're not supposed to do this, but comes a point where it's that or safety. I use one of those anti fog cloths from Smith.)

Last edited:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
As mentioned by @coops try the Julbo Aerospace Goggles, there is a reason they won an ISPO best of show, gold medal for these Goggles, plus plenty of other awards.

View attachment 42918

I understand the Abom's work well, but I wouldn't rate the lens tech as high as the Julbo's. Plus there is the weight of the batteries to consider.

I did look into these goggles and read the reviews. It seemed like the venting system is most effective when skinning/hiking but should be closed downhill. This would make them inconvenient to use for lift lapper like myself. Some reviews suggest that the mechanism to open and the close the vent is a little awkward, especially with thick gloves on. The days when fogging is at its worst, are also the days when you don’t want to keep taking your gloves on and off. It also worries me when a lot of cost is put into the lens, especially anti fog coatings. All it takes is one chip to the front of the lens, or fingerprint to the back, and you are stuck with a costly lens replacement. Having purchased expensive goggles in the past, I am now learning that it is more economical to treat them as a seasonally disposable item. It seems like the more technical the lens, the less durable it is and the more expensive it is to replace.

I’m not saying they are not great goggles, just not suited to my style of usage.

Even on sale, the Jublos are three times the cost of my Smith Fans. For me there is no issue with “battery weight”, and the batteries last a full season. Because the battery pack is on the strap, you do have to wear them on the outside of a helmet. I do only use them on low visability/inclement weather days when fogging is at its worst, so find their yellow lens perfectly acceptable along with the fan function to keep that lens clear. On sunny days, I wear my spanky, high visability VZ Fishbowls, and pray I dont chip the lens

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
What "size" would you call these frames? The Smith I/O7 is too big almost for my face. The Squad fits okay.

Edit. Pulled the trigger on these as I could use my Amazon bucks. Will report back, but they'll only get a handful of days before the season is over here. I actually haven't had too much issue with fogging this season, mostly because I'm not pushing as much as I used to. But there were days in which I was wiping my face and the inside lens (yes, I know you're not supposed to do this, but comes a point where it's that or safety. I use one of those anti fog cloths from Smith.)

I usually use Smith I/O 7 , just the right size for me.

I bought a pair of Julbo Starwind to try - they have the same pop out lens design, but is a smaller frame than the Aerospace they say... and i found it a bit smaller than the I/O 7... little too small for me, so you may fond that model the perfect fit for you ( fits my Smith vantage helemt fine) - and the Cameleon photochromic and semi-polarising lens is fantastic... my best friend's son has the Julbos now as a birthday pressie and loves them.

While here in the US got a spare I/O 7 photochromic rose flash lens which is fabulous - will keep my old red sensor mirror also photchromic as backup as it's als very good indeed.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
You were right about the fit. Too big, but I had already ordered before your post. So, the Aerospace is being returned. Will look for the Starwind, maybe. I should probably look for a local seller, buying goggles or helmets online has 100% failure rate for me so far (20 years of it).
Edit:
Found them on gearx.com for $154. Can't use my Amazon bucks, tho. Darn.

Last edited:

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
The Aboms are the heated ones, yes? Do they do anything to prevent glasses from fogging?

I think I'm going to try the fans; seems like the best choice for an Old Person refusing to go back to contacts.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
You were right about the fit. Too big, but I had already ordered before your post. So, the Aerospace is being returned. Will look for the Starwind, maybe. I should probably look for a local seller, buying goggles or helmets online has 100% failure rate for me so far (20 years of it).
Edit:
Found them on gearx.com for $154. Can't use my Amazon bucks, tho. Darn.

So much for that.

"We regret to inform you that after an extensive search of our warehouse, we were unable to fulfill your order. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We are going to go ahead and cancel your order."

Still a zero success rate.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Root of the problem is most helmets block the airflow into the foam at the top of the goggles. I complained to the
Smith rep about my top of the line Smith goggles at a recent demo at Alpine Meadows and was told this.

Smith makes a helmet (afraid to ask the price) with slots in the front that direct air to the goggles.

I'm thinking of drilling holes in front of my $17 ski club helmet to do this. lol.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I typically have issues with fogging goggles, sunglasses, etc if I am hot in general. Try wearing less.

Only other time I have fogging issues is if my balaclava is redirecting breath onto the goggles.

I have a Smith Variance helmet that does have vents where the goggles (Zeal purchased ~2005) do. I think this helps a little but not to the extent of wearing less clothing.

Beerman

Booting up
Skier
I did look into these goggles and read the reviews. It seemed like the venting system is most effective when skinning/hiking but should be closed downhill. This would make them inconvenient to use for lift lapper like myself. Some reviews suggest that the mechanism to open and the close the vent is a little awkward, especially with thick gloves on. The days when fogging is at its worst, are also the days when you don’t want to keep taking your gloves on and off. It also worries me when a lot of cost is put into the lens, especially anti fog coatings. All it takes is one chip to the front of the lens, or fingerprint to the back, and you are stuck with a costly lens replacement. Having purchased expensive goggles in the past, I am now learning that it is more economical to treat them as a seasonally disposable item. It seems like the more technical the lens, the less durable it is and the more expensive it is to replace.

I’m not saying they are not great goggles, just not suited to my style of usage.

Even on sale, the Jublos are three times the cost of my Smith Fans. For me there is no issue with “battery weight”, and the batteries last a full season. Because the battery pack is on the strap, you do have to wear them on the outside of a helmet. I do only use them on low visability/inclement weather days when fogging is at its worst, so find their yellow lens perfectly acceptable along with the fan function to keep that lens clear. On sunny days, I wear my spanky, high visability VZ Fishbowls, and pray I dont chip the lens
I recently got to try on the Julbo Aerospace Goggles. The lenses are fantastic, best i've tried, including the big name American brands, at least for my eyes. I also like the pop out lense for de-fog. I found opening the lense was simple and effective, however I had trouble clipping the lense back into position on the pair I tried. I think if they used magnets to locate the lense, instead of clips, they would function seemlessly. Unfortunately, the frames just didn't fit my face, this was the show stopper for me. I have a skinny nose and often find a gap in this area on a lot of brands, for me it just has to fit. However, I liked the lenses so much, I bought a pair of their sunglasses.

As for lift lapping, you can pop the lens from either left, right or both sides of the frame, if needed, and lenses would be fog free in seconds, unlike other brands.
You can get Julbo Airflux which is the slightly smaller model on Backcountry at the moment for around USD $83.00, or the higher specced Aerospace for around $130.
I bought the Zebra lense sunglasses, so one may think I work for Julbo. I wish that was the case, as i might get stuff for free. I just buy into their mission/product line I suppose. I can confirm I have pulled the trigger on another brand of Goggles for myself, but only because they fit me, lenses are good and swapable, but not quite up there with the Julbo's.
Hope that helps.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use a race helmet without any vents and my goggles never fog, even though I sweat a lot.

Don't wear your goggle straps under your helmet.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Because, with the straps under the helmet, you can not put your goggles over the helmet when you want to vent dinner heat.
You can only push the helmet up and then push your Google's on the forehead.
This will cause them to fog up.

Sponsor

Staff online