• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guilty pleasures

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
So ... this being a family friendly site, this is intended to be SFW.

In my industry, things are typically slow from Thanksgiving through New Years. As such, I take a lot of time off in that window, as the rest of the year can be awful. As an example, I’m now home for the first time in 5 weeks and will be home, mostly, except for a night or two, until early January when the cycle resets.

It being cooler weather and with the holidays in the offing, I like to unwind a bit. And my favored method is video games. I pick one or two each year for PS4, put the game on the hardest setting, and stay up extra late sipping rye for several weeks while gaming. Once I beat the game on that setting, I turn the console off for 11 months and get back to work.

Juvenile? Probably. Wasteful? Undoubtedly. Indefensible? Arguably. But I love it.

This is my favorite time of year for a host of reasons and I wish you and yours the very best. Currently, Call of Duty, WWII is loading and the yeti tumbler is full of Bulleitt Rye. Wife and kids are asleep and the dogs are snoring at my feet. Life is good.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else relish an annual opportunity to squander away downtime? I do believe it’s good for the soul -

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a teacher. I squander away downtime every summer. There is little skiing in this hemisphere (I am still paying university tuition) so squandering it is ... and, yes, we have been know to spend too much time playing video games.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I wish I could squander a couple of months (specifically Jan & Feb) :snow:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Tru'dat, as they say in Neworllns!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
No time for fancy guilty pleasures anymore unfortunately..and apparently none in sight for the foreseeable future. My guilty pleasure is 30 minute Starbucks "meetings" at work... :D

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Fast & the Furious movies
Cheetos
Ramen Noodles
White Castle burgers
Budwieser 7oz pony bottles
Big Bang Theory
Ok, dirty secrets..I actually like Tokyo Drift. And we have a killer Ramen place called Ajisen Ramen...oh the salty goodness..

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
One should never feel “guilty” about their “pleasures,” just saying...

Downtime isn’t only important, it’s necessary. Being semi-retired now I kind of go in the opposite direction when I have the opportunity to work which involves me being on skis most everyday of the season. By April I’m in some desperate need of a guilty pleasure or two.

My previous work generated a lot of stress and I deliberately would not take time off unless it was a long vacation, like a minimum of 3 weeks. Long weekends or taking a day here or there didn’t help I needed a complete and lengthy separation. Back then my weekly “guilty pleasure” was some good 25 year old scotch and a cigar worthy of it while I watched the sun set over the mountains.

I still enjoy doing that but it’s different now, more ordinary since i don’t need a relief valve. I could definitely get into some video games, but then I’m afraid I might not ski as much, maybe in April:).

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Spending all day in my PJs binge watching TV.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Besides skiing and vintage ski equipment, fishing and building projects are what does it for me. Maybe a good movie on rainy days as a back up plan. I spend a little too much time on my PC.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, skiing is a guilty pleasure when it comes right down to it. We are Human Beings, not Human Doings. You need to be selfish sometimes, so you can be selfless at other times. Put your oxygen mask on first, so you can help others with theirs. Enjoy your life as much as you can, you only go round once.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gummy bears

Sponsor