• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I guess I'm okay for this season but I'll bet I'll have to rethink my season pass options for next season. They may end up with a new management who wants to jack the prices up. I just hope it's not VR or Aspen.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Seriously?
It’s far more likely that it will join the ranks of ghost ski resorts. If you can’t make a profit in two decades, who is stupid enough to buy it?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...-for-sale-owner-says-its-ready-for-next-level

Snip from Denver article
The Denver Post reported Tuesday that Marise Cipriani doesn't have a price yet, but it will be much higher than the $12.5 million she paid for the property in 1995.

Since then, Cipriani has turned the once-struggling property into a place that she says is ready for the next level.

Cipriani brought in more than 600 homeowners since taking over the property. There were none when she bought it.

The property has a 400-acre (162-hectare) ski area, 3 miles (5 kilometers) of private fly fishing, a golf course, 40 miles (64 kilometers) of trails and approvals allowing for more than 1 million square feet (93,000 square meters) of commercial space and 4,349 more home.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a bit more thorough write up.
http://theknow.denverpost.com/2017/11/14/granby-ranch-ski-golf-resort-sale-2017/166515/
Tells a little more about the intent in 1995, what they went through, what they accomplished and hopes for the future owners.

She had grand plans back then, proposing a $100 million four-season resort that would cater to families. After spending millions securing water rights, developing a golf course and facilities, improving the ski area, building trails and selling more than 500 of a planned 4,300-plus homes, Cipriani said “it’s time for me to move on.”

<Snip>
In December last year, a mechanical issue with a Ski Granby Ranch chairlift threw 40-year-old Kelly Huber, and her two kids–from the lift, killing the Texas mom and injuring her children. The Colorado Passenger Tramway Safety Board concluded that recent changes to the electrical control system of the Quickdraw Express caused rapid speed changes in the “unprecedented” event that caused the Huber family’s chair to slam a lift tower. It was the first-ever fatality at Granby Ranch.

“There is not one single day where I don’t think about the family,” Cipriani said. “You know how people are, they were telling me ‘You are going to be sued.’ I said I don’t know but that’s not the point. The point is how hard this is for the family.”

Cipriani said there has not been a claim filed by the Huber family, “so there’s nothing to settle.”

Last month Grand County sheriff’s deputies briefly seized resort properties at the ski area and golf course, citing unpaid property taxes by the resort’s Granby Realty Holdings and Granby Amenities. Cipriani called it “a misunderstanding.” Her team, which includes her daughter, Melissa Cipriani as chief executive of the resort, paid more than $104,000 in back taxes in early October and another $382,000 on October 19.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Boy, this sounds like a tough one. The real estate play is just hard to sustain, unless it's the Yellowstone Club. But it sounds like she has sold an awful lot of homes.

Does anybody have an idea on how many skier days they see in an average season? I'm sorry, just not familiar with it. Thanks.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yikes is all I can say. Lead story on 9News Denver was the lawsuit filed against Granby. According to their (9News) legal analyst, Scott Robison, if what is being alleged is true then Granby might be "facing enormous liability"