• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GoPro: Perception vs Reality

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
Good post!
RE: Skiing, GoPros have a way of flattening pitches and slowing you down on camera. I've had some awesome runs down steep pitches that look lame on the computer.
Certainly going to fiddle around with the settings way more in pre Xmas riding so things are really dialed in for big powder days. Placement is also important, perfect balance of skis, terrain and scenery.
For a laugh, there's a serial offender on OpenSnow who posts a TON of GoPro that I would bet a pretty penny are sped up quite a bit.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My new hobby is being that anonymous guy in some buddy's GoPro video. Sometimes it involves cutting off the cameraman.:P

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You know, the chill moments of the video look fun, too. Just a different type of fun.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
"My new hobby is being that anonymous guy in some buddy's GoPro video."

GoPro bombing!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There is a rational explanation for some of this. Having the camera on top of your helmet higher than your eyes will definitely make things appear to be passing by a little slower. Mounting it lower like down on the ski tips makes the terrain appear to be passing by much faster. It's part of the reason why sports cars where you sit lower are more fun to drive... It's not just the better handling or increased horsepower. Sitting closer to the pavement feels faster than sitting higher above it..

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
My kids got me a GoPro camera last year. The BEST video I ever took with it was when I was stationary filming other skiers go by....

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied with an fella a few years ago who was new to the GoPro game. Mike diddled that damn camera on every ride up the lift and before descent. We skied and had some stellar runs. He was uber excited to show his wife the supreme footage of our day that evening. He got home, set up, made his wife a cocktail and hit play. Mike ended up with lift rides and the epic leak he took before lunch -- including audio of the groan of relief. Oh, the look on her face. Poor SOB turned it off when he thought he was turning it on and vice versa.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The dog playing in the stream is pretty much an accurate account of my daily experiences.
The jumping off the cliff.....not so much.

Sponsor

Staff online