• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good use of a Bamix hand blender

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the interest of optimizing our kitchen cabinet space, I began moving some infrequently used gadgets around.
One of the gadgets that I've never used is a Bamix Mono immersion blender ( seen here on amazon)
Me: Phil, when was the last time you used this?
Phil: Never. I thought it was yours
Me: Nope, it was here when I moved in
Him: Hmmmmm. I guess we could put it in our next garage sale.

I opened the box to find that its brand new. Blades have never been out of the plastic. Cord still wrapped tightly.
Then I see a post by @SBrown - I'm about to purée a watermelon
Which got me thinking....there have to be a ton of reasons to keep a gadget like this and use it to its potential.
Please give me some ideas!
IMG_5475.JPG.jpeg

@Brian Likes Pow I'm counting on you to chime in here.

image.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stick blenders are great for soup. Hot liquid have a tendency to blow up in a regular blender - not a good.thing.
Butternut squash is one of my favorite. Vichyssoise, hot or cold. Lentil soup. All kinds of bean soup.

With lentil and bean soups the following process works pretty well. When the soup is just about done. Skim out half of the beans and reserve. Puree the remainder with the liquid in the pot. Put the reserved beans back in and finish cooking. The pureed beans acts as a thickener, gives the soup a really nice mouth feel while the whole beans gives the soup a interesting textural contrast.

For tomato sauce, I start with a #10 can of whole tomatoes and just put the stick blender in the can and instant tomato puree.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My husband is the cook. He uses that motorboat all the time. Don't ask me what for. I'd guess purees, soups, sauces. I just eat whatever is put in front of me. I seem to remember a lot of broccoli soup, whirled peas, that kind of thing.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Stick blenders are great for soup. Hot liquid have a tendency to blow up in a regular blender - not a good.thing.
Butternut squash is one of my favorite. Vichyssoise, hot or cold. Lentil soup. All kinds of bean soup.

With lentil and bean soups the following process works pretty well. When the soup is just about done. Skim out half of the beans and reserve. Puree the remainder with the liquid in the pot. Put the reserved beans back in and finish cooking. The pureed beans acts as a thickener, gives the soup a really nice mouth feel while the whole beans gives the soup a interesting textural contrast.

For tomato sauce, I start with a #10 can of whole tomatoes and just put the stick blender in the can and instant tomato puree.
@Philpug - See!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Soups here too! And especially squash soups. In fact just bought a new one as I didn't have one at home, only at the cottage. On sale this week at CTC!

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
These things are freaking awesome for making vinaigrettes. add your acids and flavoring and slowly drizzle in the oil. A bit of Dijon if you want it emulsified. never buy storebought and never look back. Dressings are the ultimate way to get creative in the kitchen IMO and the possibilities are endless. It takes more oil than you think is acceptable. Think 3-1 or 4-1 oil to acid ratio.

Also soups hell yes great idea with the beans. Also salsa or Gazpacho if you like that pureed style and not chunky. It should have a pulse button which gives you control

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We use ours on and off. Depends on the trend our food is taking. Ours has a lot of extra acccessories which allows it to do more. To give you an idea the amount of usage we are on our second one after the first died after about 18 years.

My opinion, you either love it or have no use for it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm a little surprised that no one has given me drink ideas. :margarita:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Smaller quantities of cold liquids blend better in a standard blender. Unless you like to do your margaritas in a 8 quart stock pot.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Smaller quantities of cold liquids blend better in a standard blender. Unless you like to do your margaritas in a 8 quart stock pot.
Ain't nobody gonna tell me how to live my life!

Seriously you make a good point. I use these when making multiple gallons of stuff. I probably would not get one for the house as I like the minimalist approach in home kitchens.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After watching the example display for the chairlift display in the poll thread http://bit.ly/2gNfJnB
One of the suggested videos was Gordon Ramsay Loves his Bamix
Kinda cracked me up.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a similar blender, my CusineArt Mini-Pimer. Lentil and bean soups, dressings, homemade mayonnaise (yum)...I love my Pimer.

These days it's used to puree soups and stews for my mom, who needs that kind of consistency in food. Easy to use & clean.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After watching the example display for the chairlift display in the poll thread http://bit.ly/2gNfJnB
One of the suggested videos was Gordon Ramsay Loves his Bamix
Kinda cracked me up.

I am sure I would like whatever they paid me to like.
Unfortunately, there isn't a stampede of folks rushing forward to paid me to like anything. :huh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am sure I would like whatever they paid me to like.
Unfortunately, there isn't a stampede of folks rushing forward to paid me to like anything. :huh:
We watch "Master Chef" and have yet to see him use one in any of his demonstrations.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
That's a suggested video for the chair lift? It's 22 minutes long!

Sounds perfect for the 22 minute ride on the Burfield Chair at Sun Peaks. Too bad I only have a dumb phone that cost 40 cents/minute.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a suggested video for the chair lift? It's 22 minutes long!
I watched it in three segments between doing other things around the house.

We watch "Master Chef" and have yet to see him use one in any of his demonstrations.
I have seen it used by contestants in a few applications.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I used one at Chi-Chi's to chop up the peppers for the salsa. We mixed the ingredients together in a garbage can and stirred it with a canoe paddle. We used a lot of salsa.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used one at Chi-Chi's to chop up the peppers for the salsa. We mixed the ingredients together in a garbage can and stirred it with a canoe paddle. We used a lot of salsa.
Wow..Chi-Chi's. We used to go to the one on Allentown we went to. It has been a while.

Sponsor

Staff online