• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goggle-Helmet Problems

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was recently reading posts on Cataract surgery and helmets-goggles. The Smith Chroma Pop goggle was touted. I agree the lense is really good. However when you contemplate new goggles consider the following: the chroma pop lense is taller than its predecessor. I noticed that the new Chroma Pop lense road down and over my nose more than other lenses and was cutting off my breathing. It should be noted that the lense and helmet are both "Smith" products and were not "compatible" as advertised.

I compared the goggles with my other "IO" goggles and the lense/goggle frame is taller in the Chroma and therefore the helmet pushed the Chroma goggle down harder onto my nose. Granted it might be my face but has never happened before.

Just something to consider when buying a very expensive pair of goggles. Love the lemse do not like the goggle.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you sure the two sets of goggles are of the the same model from the I/O series?

There are four different goggles in the Smith I/O series. The original I/O, the smaller I/O s, The large I/O 7 and the extra large I/O X. They are all different sizes.

The easiest way to check is compare the area where the strap connects to the frame.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I measured and compared the two next to each other and with a tape measure they are different. A person should take this into consideration when purchasing. Something I never even thought of at the time. Wouldn't affect everyone but did me. As much as I like the Chroma pop lense I rarely wear because of the breathing problem.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
A quick comment regarding the reference to cataract surgery, which I had 1 month ago. This type of surgery has no direct impact on the fit between face, goggles and helmet. What is stated above is very good advise, but, the last time I bought goggles, it was at a mortar and brick shop so that I could try new goggles onto my existing helmet for fit and comfort.

With respect to cataract surgery, the process involves putting an artificial lens in your eye, and, that lens can correct your vision, possibly eliminating the need to wear glasses under a ski goggle if you choose a lens to correct distance vision. Other lenses can correct near of short distance issues, it is possible to choose a bi-focal lens but it adds to cost, and not all like the result. Cataract surgery is a short, simple process, recovery is about a week to let the eye incision heal, and 3 weeks of eye drop medication. The cataract also yellows your vision, and, post surgery, colors will be much brighter.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I measured and compared the two next to each other and with a tape measure they are different. A person should take this into consideration when purchasing. Something I never even thought of at the time. Wouldn't affect everyone but did me. As much as I like the Chroma pop lense I rarely wear because of the breathing problem.

The lens are interchangeable within the model line. So if they measure differently then they are probably of two different model within the I/O series.
There are significant size differences between the small I/Os and the X-yuge I/O X.

Photos of the googles in question may help clarify the discrepancy.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
The phrase "helmet compatible" just refers to how the strap attaches to the goggle. If the strap attaches to the front of the goggle frame, then the goggle is designed to be worn with a helmet. It does not mean that the goggle will fit your face or conform to the shape of the helmet. Matching helmet and goggle brands does yield a higher chance of success, like the IO goggles and the Variant helmet, but again is no guarantee of a good fit. Goggle/helmet comparability is solely dependent on the shape and size of your head and face. As such, success with specific brands and products varies from person to person. So, head to you local store and start trying gear on in person, it's the only way.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Skip the goggles and go with my Maui Jim sunglasses every day that I can get away with it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It seems that some companies design goggles for horses. My Smith turbo fan over-the glasses goggles squish my nose with every helmet I've tried, and I've tried a lot.
It's worth it though to be able to see fog free.

Every goggle squishes my nose =/ I sweat a lot, too, so I can't try smaller ones - it seems the closer they are to my face, the more they fog.

I have one of the Smith fan models, which works great, but definitely squishes.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice to see I am not only one with the squish the nose problem. Also, just reread these posts and I apologize for misspelling Lens a whole bunch of times. Think I will write Smith and tell them about problem some of us have.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most smith turbo fan goggles are sized to fit over glasses. That requirement usually dictate a large fit frame. That translates to taller from the nose notch section to the top of the goggle. Hence the nose squishing. IIRC, the turbo fan frames are also deeper than the normal frames of the same model.
Three of the four turbo fan models (I/O X, Prophecy and Knowledge) are all listed under their catalog as large fit frame.

The fourth turbo model Smith markets is the Phenom. It is listed under medium fit. The nose squished crowd may have a better luck with it.

I have several regular (non fan) Phenom and Prophecy. The Phenom is much shorter (up and down) than Prophecy.