• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Florida

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
One of my daughters and her husband went on a cruise in between Harvey and Irma. They got a steep discount due to it being hurricane season. But, Irma got so troublesome the boat turned around a day early and sailed back to Miami on Thursday. Their flight home was scheduled for Friday, but they booked a rental car to drive home just in case. The other grandma had been watching their kids during the week, but Mrs. Claystone and I rearranged our weekend schedule to take the kids for them in case their flight got canceled and they had to drive home. They lucked out and got one of the last flights out of Miami on Friday. Since we already put on hold everything we were going to do this weekend, we are going to spend Sunday with them and the kids, since we were gonna be there anyway.

They told me that when they got home, the kids were really excited to see them, then the first thing the toddler said after yelling "Mommy! Daddy!", was, "Can we go see Grammy and Granpa?"

The oldest daughter is the one who was my skiing buddy last season. She's really getting stoked for this winter.

snofun3

Booting up
Skier
8am Sunday. It's rather, ummmm, breezy outside, and the rain is sometimes sideways, but considering what it could have been, I'll take it.

Good luck west Florida - hope it goes as well as it can for you.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Many friends on the West coast side. All hunkered down. Good luck.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
8am Sunday. It's rather, ummmm, breezy outside, and the rain is sometimes sideways, but considering what it could have been, I'll take it.

Good luck west Florida - hope it goes as well as it can for you.
Could this...ummmmmm...be the understatement of the day?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have a generator and lots of gasoline

****currently****
My pool is having a combination of storm surge and wave action that is causing overflow

:roflmao:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My pool is having a combination of storm surge and wave action that is causing overflow
Don't Go Surfing Unless You Can Really Shred That Shit
re-write for Irma
“As Irma gains strength and begins to approach your swimming pool, we would like to remind you that you should not attempt to enter the surf if you're unprepared to carve up these bitchin’ tubes,”

*This is from a hurricane 2 years ago, but the Onion pretty much nailed it.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are in our "safe place"
Shit's getting real.
Stay safe and keep in touch as your power sources allow you.

I'm watching the ABC News app with updates.
It looks like Irma is losing strength, going from 130mph(Category 4) to 115mph(Category 3).
Not that 115MPH is much of a consolation, but the fact that its losing steam is a very good thing. Hopefully she continues to lose strength as it approaches you.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't heard from @Bazzer since yesterday.
Glad that others are checking in here. @snofun3 you still good?

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
We have a family condo in Bradenton (just an hour south of Tampa), that my parents snowbird in during the winter and we use for summer vacations.

This might be the last time I get to say that :(

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Power still on in St Pete, we will be west of the eye as it passes between Orlando and St Pete. It's been messy, a whole lot of work and lots of anxiety but not the catastrophe it could have been for our area. The keys and Marco island got hammered though.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Friends in Winter Haven, Tampa, South of Tampa, all ok. They have had some interesting FB live videos during this, with more to come on cleanup. Tampa area didn't get the huge surge. Helped that it was low tide when the surge was coming in.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think the power companies need to do some serious research of the structure and form of palm trees if they're not able to lay lines underground in some neighborhoods. I't amazing to watch those palm trees bend in 150 MPH winds but not break or go down completely. Would be nice of power poles could be that strong and resilient.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Waiting on more targeted reports on the family properties but in general it sounds like FMB did okay although are without power. I expect one restaurant will have flooding damage as it's right on the beach. The other restaurant and hotel are on the bay side but also right on the water. They started allowing residents and businesses on the island (with special hurricane passes) at noon their time so I'm hoping to hear more soon.

www.piersidegrill.com
www.matanzas.com
www.matanzasonthebay.com

Sponsor

Staff online