• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First time skier going skiing in Aspen, help please.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Never skied before. I need to learn before I head to Aspen on December with my family.

Nice, you came to the right place. Feel free to ask questions. This artcle was written with you in mind.

Is there a local area for you to practice before hitting Aspen?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Never skied before. I need to learn before I head to Aspen on December with my family.

Wecome to the site and welcome to the wonderful sport of skiing. There is also some great information in THIS thread, jsut change "Park City" to "Aspen". You say you want to get some time on snow before you go...where are you and I am sure we can provide soem direction. I will say, get ready to try to sip from a firehose because you are going to get a wealth of information thrown at you. First of all, you are going to a world class resorts with one of the finest ski schools in the land. We have a few of their of their premier instructors here on the forum that would be happy to help you and give you some guidance @Bob Barnes @Nancy Hummel @Mike King any of these three will be glad to direct you and supply some inside information.

If you noticed, I moved yout question to it's own thread, feel free to check back here at any time.

TS
F

fastpacer

Booting up
Skier
My friends and I will be going next month to Mount Charleston. I am really excited! I was told that we will go skiing in the "Buttermilk".

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
My friends and I will be going next month to Mount Charleston. I am really excited! I was told that we will go skiing in the "Buttermilk".

While Lee Canyon has opened in the past in October when it was Ski Las Vegas. On it site they mention that their season is From Early December through March. I do think it is best to get some lessons prior to going to Aspen as lessons are expensive there. See for yourself - https://www.aspensnowmass.com/plan-your-stay/lessons - if money is no object then no worries.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Beginner Magic lessons at Snowmass and Buttermilk include lift ticket, rental gear and lesson. It is a great deal and gives you access to on mountain equipment so if something needs to be swapped out, it can be. The rental shop employees are trained to provide boots that fit properly and skis are shorter so that people have the best chance of success early on.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
The Beginner Magic lessons at Snowmass and Buttermilk include lift ticket, rental gear and lesson. It is a great deal and gives you access to on mountain equipment so if something needs to be swapped out, it can be. The rental shop employees are trained to provide boots that fit properly and skis are shorter so that people have the best chance of success early on.

Ya I saw that but the lift ticket is limited to the beginner area which might be fine. It is a full day lesson to boot. The extension rate is even better!

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya I saw that but the lift ticket is limited to the beginner area which might be fine. It is a full day lesson to boot. The extension rate is even better!

The beginner area is quite extensive. It includes Elk Camp Gondola, Mid way up the Village Express which serves green and blue terrain.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
The beginner area is quite extensive. It includes Elk Camp Gondola, Mid way up the Village Express which serves green and blue terrain.

I was thinking more along the lines of being with the others. You are talking about Snowmass. I was thinking Buttermilk.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Both of those are excellent for beginning and intermediate skiers.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied at Aspen Snowmass three times for about a week each time; twice I was teaching at the VA/DAV Winter Sports Clinic and once at an EpicSki Academy. It is a marvelous place to ski and teach. Enjoy it, you should have a blast.

Sponsor