• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fire danger blows in with the wind

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
A long with the Chinese/Skye Lanterns. Currently before council here to be banned....Thank God! North Frontenac, Ontario is a forested area....we don't need any help having a forest fire. The citified idiots can do that on their own....

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
North of the border, British Columbia has declared a state of emergency because of 180 fires. Most were lightening strikes. But the airport at Williams Lake is gone. That probably would have been a staging area for the fire fighters.

We're still under water here on Lake Ontario. So I suspect there will be MNR fire fighters heading to BC shortly.

Reactions: nay

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Was on the Interstate between Frisco and Dillon yesterday and didn't see any smoke billowing up on the Ten Mile Range -- I am hoping that is a good sign?

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was on the Interstate between Frisco and Dillon yesterday and didn't see any smoke billowing up on the Ten Mile Range -- I am hoping that is a good sign?

It's not moving:
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5321/

@Monique, there's a good explanation of 'containment' figures in that current synopsis.
While line has been constructed around about 70% of the fire, incident managers are hesitant to call that area "contained" because of the steep nature of the terrain and the risk of that line are being breached by the significant amount of dead-and-down trees in the fire zone.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is great to be home after a fun trip to the East coast. I had an fun unexpected excursion to NYC but also missed racing in the Epworth Cup. It is good to be home and the air to be smoke free. As I understand it even when it is 100% contained the fire zone will be monitored until winter. I never knew that a fire area was still at risk for so long until I moved here in 2000.

Reactions: nay

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It is great to be home after a fun trip to the East coast. I had an fun unexpected excursion to NYC but also missed racing in the Epworth Cup. It is good to be home and the air to be smoke free. As I understand it even when it is 100% contained the fire zone will be monitored until winter. I never knew that a fire area was still at risk for so long until I moved here in 2000.

That's why you weren't in the SUMMIT DAILY - I was looking for you.
IMG_3480.JPG

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool time lapse video of the Gutzler fire in CO:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So on tonight's evening news (I know, only old people watch that, right?) they announced that the current US fire situation was so bad that we'd be asking Canada for help. Well, we might ask, but:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-wildfire-idUSKBN19V23X

Canadian wildfires - over 200 fires, 93,000 acres, thousands of evacuees, state of emergency declaration. Don't think they've got resources to spare.

"Sorry, eh?"

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Since we're still under water in Ontario, our guys are heading out to BC. The PM says that resources are ready. They called the Canadian Forces for Fort Mac last year, this will be the same. We don't National Guard, but there are reserves that might get called.

Bet they miss that big plane that was based in BC for fire fighting now.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
News reports from the local base here, 2 Globemasters have left and a C-130 to help. The Globemasters are probably moving people and equipment to BC. MNR fire fighting staff, along with Quebec are on the move too. Fort Mac all over again.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It refers to the amount of perimeter that is nailed down (firmly no longer expected to expand), relative to the total perimeter. It's usually a very conservative figure - generally when they announce 'percent contained' there's more fire line in and holding but they usually want a shift (12-16 hours) of the fire line holding to go by before they add that to the 'contained' figure.

It's, um, embarrassing if the fire gets away over fire line that's been declared contained. The fire might not be moving on uncontained line, but they want it secured before they add it to the containment figure.
I have a friend who was a CalFire helicopter pilot for a couple of decades. He dropped hotshot crews, fire retardant, and generally moved crews around. He echoes what you say about containment numbers being conservative. He says that when he sees a fire reach 20% containment he knows the firefighters probably have the upper hand and its just a matter of time. Probably. But not always. So don't anybody do something stupid with the knowledge that these things are conservative.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm driving to Ogden from Boulder on Monday. I heard something about wildfire. Can I take I-80, or do I need to use I-70?

Sponsor

Staff online