• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fire danger blows in with the wind

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big fire near Prescott burning in similar terrain and conditions which killed the 19 Granite Mountain firefighters a few years back. Scary stuff.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coming home from Mammoth on Sunday, right near Whitney, we saw this ....
20170625_140302.jpg

As we drove by, we could see where it was burning. I haven't looked it up, but did see a staging area in Lone Pine and some units driving north on the 395.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Smokey Generation

Follow them on Instagram and/or Facebook for some quality fire crew photography. Also on Instagram: Stuart Palley, smokejumpers_on_ig, pulaskis_shovels_andmen, wildlandwomen, smolderingfrontier, wildlandfirephotos, etc.

Last edited:

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a very dry late winter & spring in the Denver metro area and haven't had much rain this summer. We did have a week or two that did get us out of our "drought" for a bit, but now the fire danger in my little town is back up to "very high" per Smoky the Bear at the entrance. :(

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A fire started up near Steamboat on Saturday which could be seen clearly from town and they've canceled tomorrow's fireworks show. Of course that didn't stop the idiots shooting them off last night in our neighborhood.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We went to the movie on Monday and came out to see a fire started while we were in the theater.
5 fires started within 48 hrs surrounding 4th of July festivities, two of which are confirmed illegal fireworks.

The fire by Pyramid Lake area, called the Winnemuca Ranch Fire, is close to 58 structures, many of which are homes.
http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/...ay-watch-and-wait-to-evacuate--432634903.html

@pais alto as you can imagine, Cheatgrass is a major culprit. :(

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My family and I left Breck (Peak 7) just before the fire started -- came to Vail and it was smokey due to a fire in Eagle County.

9NEWS photo of Breck (Tony Cooper photo).
IMG_3348.PNG

I took this photo of the smokey haze in Vail yesterday (not as bad today).
IMG_3195.JPG

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Vail got nasty for a bit on the 4th as a little storm cell pushed heavy smoke from the Gutzler Fire into town.

We had hiked Berry Picker to mid-mountain and saw the smoke...

IMG_6767.JPG
IMG_6768.JPG

And with storm cell outflow...

IMG_6776.JPG

It's burning in conifer forest with heavy beetle kill. Wildfire smoke doesn't usually bother me all that much, but I struggled with watering eyes most of the way home after the fireworks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Can't "like" ....

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The reports form Breckenridge about containment, or lack thereof, are kind of scary.
Peak 2 Fire 7% contained as of 1 PM July 7th.
http://www.9news.com/news/local/wildfires/wildfire-burning-in-summit-county-1/454375753

:(

If it's any consolation, having a crew of jumpers and a hotshot crew on an 85 acre fire is a good sign - that's a strong commitment of the very best (strong, smart, and experienced) firefighters for a relatively small fire. And a top-level incident management team (Type 1) is scheduled to be in place today.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5321/

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@pais alto what exactly does "X% contained" mean? It doesn't sound like the fire is growing, but it's not considered contained?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It refers to the amount of perimeter that is nailed down (firmly no longer expected to expand), relative to the total perimeter. It's usually a very conservative figure - generally when they announce 'percent contained' there's more fire line in and holding but they usually want a shift (12-16 hours) of the fire line holding to go by before they add that to the 'contained' figure.

It's, um, embarrassing if the fire gets away over fire line that's been declared contained. The fire might not be moving on uncontained line, but they want it secured before they add it to the containment figure.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
We've had a few fires already down here in So. Calif.

Smart move to get rid of the cheat grass (I still have to look it up). I think where you, @Tricia , and I--in well-populated suburban neighborhoods--the risk is less than what it would be in the less developed areas. But yeah, the whole fire season thing puts me on edge.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It refers to the amount of perimeter that is nailed down (firmly no longer expected to expand), relative to the total perimeter. It's usually a very conservative figure - generally when they announce 'percent contained' there's more fire line in and holding but they usually want a shift (12-16 hours) of the fire line holding to go by before they add that to the 'contained' figure.

It's, um, embarrassing if the fire gets away over fire line that's been declared contained. The fire might not be moving on uncontained line, but they want it secured before they add it to the containment figure.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Sponsor