• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Filing narrow skis with wide bindings?

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ran into a problem today. I've got Marker Griffon bindings on some narrow skis, and the binding sticks out of the ski on both sides on the toe piece. When I try to file the edge, the file hits the binding and not the edge. My file is long so I can't use it straight because the sidecut of the ski will prevent filing correctly. Is it possible to break the file into smaller pieces? Other suggestions?

TS
nemesis256

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Um...what sort of file guide are you using and can it hold the file so that just the tip is exposed?
The SVST Pro-Edge Beveler. Could maybe use just the tip, but then that's the only part of the file being used. Also don't know if it will stick out enough to do anything productive.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Could maybe use just the tip, but then that's the only part of the file being used. Also don't know if it will stick out enough to do anything productive.

*shrug* it IS a non-destructive start within the context of a thread where the OP includes the idea of breaking a file into several pieces. :)

And if the file has a large tip area without teeth, then only one break may be necessary, plus it will give you an idea of how much you can actually do without trimming back the binding plastic.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Whack it with a hammer and hope it breaks clean.

Or if you have a good vise, clamp it super tight and give it the hammer! Hope it breaks just above the jaws - wear safety goggles.

I've never done this or had a need to, but I'm good in an emergency.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
It should break like how fuller describes. I've done that at my old work to break off the dull useless end of a file so I could get to the better sharper portion of it. They were small files that I put in the vise, clamped and then gave a yank and they broke close to where I had them clamped.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Ran into a problem today. I've got Marker Griffon bindings on some narrow skis, and the binding sticks out of the ski on both sides on the toe piece. When I try to file the edge, the file hits the binding and not the edge. My file is long so I can't use it straight because the sidecut of the ski will prevent filing correctly. Is it possible to break the file into smaller pieces? Other suggestions?

Are you sure you are using your guide correctly? As said it's easy to snap a file. Use a vise and wrap it with cloth, strike it with the hammer.

Here look at this video for a few seconds.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Notch the file a bit with a grinder then clamp at notch and whack.
It will break on the notch cleanly.
Atomicman has a better idea.