• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Any recs for Deer Valley? Thinking about the IKON for next season and never had DV on my radar but a midweek pow day there could be good for crowds and below treeline stuff? Never been there though...

Mayflower.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Agree with Tony about backside Northstar and Stagecoach at HV if one can ski trees. HV Nevada side best about Tahoe if good base low and not too windy because huge area of trees. .

I'll do you one better and go with North Bowl at Heavenly. WAY better pitch for powder, and some of the best trees on the mountain.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Good to know because I'm going there next week for a downhill race, which means it will probably dump (bringing the powder boards just in case).

Called it:

snow.PNG

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Strawberry at Snowbasin

Maybe if you get just the right storm or are comfortable skiing by braille. I generally try to avoid storm days, but I still ran into a few days of complete fogged-in whiteout up top at Strawberry.

Now, if they get the Strawberry Quad built this summer or next, might be a gamechanger.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Pali at A-Basin (although it does get crowded on a pow day)
Chair 1 and 9 at Loveland

This year though, the gold medal goes to Wildcat at Alta. Only 1,100k of vert, but that serves some really fun terrain. And the chair has got character too, I can only imagine how much better it skis in a good snow year!

20171215_113007.jpg
20171217_144323.jpg

Hypergruv

"Suck At the Highest Level"
Skier
Chair 11, Vail.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I know @David Chaus said DD/SC at Stevens, but I'll go with 7th Heaven at Stevens instead because I've seen the lifts on that ridge (DD/SC, Tye, Jupiter) close due to wind far more often than 7th Heaven. And I think it hits all the rest of the criteria perfectly.
I disagree with both of you for a storm day at Stevens. One of the problems Stevens has, even on days that aren't stormy, is the whiteout conditions in the upper parts of the mountain. Trees are the answer. The trees to skier's right of Showcase on Kerr's are a favorite of mine, as well as the treed up places on both Tye and Hogsback. While the challenging terrain is short in these places, it's visible.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
In a storm that's dumping I'll take any chair I'm on and if it gets too windy I'll close the vents in my helmet and stay below the treeline.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thunder at Jackson.

If the wind gets too high on that, laps on the gondy.

Lone Moose at Big Sky gets an honorable mention. Not huge, and very slow, but EMPTY.

My wife and I skied it in a storm once, and the lift attendant greeted us late in the day with "the last ten people through here have been YOU"!

Sponsor

Staff online