• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Forgot about Thunder wolf- Always liked that area of BS

Best part of Big Sky is the lack of people thus the powder does not get skied out. Plus the dryness of the snow means that it is less challenging to ski in a snowstorm.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
8 @ Luv. It doesn’t check the box for trees very well, but it is often holding incredible snow run after run on a storm day.

I want to see the powder convert to windbuff as the storm and skiing progress more than I want trees for visibility.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Northway at Crystal Mt. You are going to be in some wind going up but you have as much terrain to play with as some resorts. Skiing next to rock walls can work as well as trees, but no shortage of trees either.

Can't agreed with this because of OP's rule 1. When the wind acts up, Crystal closes the whole upper mountain which means no access to Northway even if that lift may be fine.

I know @David Chaus said DD/SC at Stevens, but I'll go with 7th Heaven at Stevens instead because I've seen the lifts on that ridge (DD/SC, Tye, Jupiter) close due to wind far more often than 7th Heaven. And I think it hits all the rest of the criteria perfectly.

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
Symphony at WB
Mineral Basin at Sbird
Dreamcatcher at PC
Strawberry at Snowbasin

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Best part of Big Sky is the lack of people thus the powder does not get skied out. Plus the dryness of the snow means that it is less challenging to ski in a snowstorm.

Not every snow storm brings "cold smoke" to Big Sky, but T-Wolf has long runs, depending on the trial little run out and interesting trees. A Peru or Bolivia run can be tough getting back to T Wolf if the snow is deep on Low Dog.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stormy, windy days at Jay if you want t ski that side of the hill you ride the Bonnie and a very short hike up a cat track will get you over to where you can access Beaver Pond. Freezer is a horror and the tram closes when it gets windy. That's why I originally said the Jet. Guess you could add Bonnie (Bon Adventure) as well.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya it can get crowded, but Gad 2 at Snowbird is it for me. I’ve skied it nearly empty; late day midweek storms are the best. MRG single has a lot longer lift lines on a pow day. Double can be a lot of fun. Not a Ski Trail.

Castlerock is pretty sheltered.

Summit lift at Soli. Snake Creek and Crest Express at BRightOn,

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ya it can get crowded, but Gad 2 at Snowbird is it for me. I’ve skied it nearly empty; late day midweek storms are the best. MRG single has a lot longer lift lines on a pow day. Double can be a lot of fun. Not a Ski Trail.

Castlerock is pretty sheltered.

Summit lift at Soli. Snake Creek and Crest Express at BRightOn,
Any recs for Deer Valley? Thinking about the IKON for next season and never had DV on my radar but a midweek pow day there could be good for crowds and below treeline stuff? Never been there though...

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven’t been to DV in nearly 20 years; it is one of the few areas I remember little about. It does have a lot of sheltered terrain and a lot less pow competition. The $$ and lack of day ticket discounts were what kept me away. You are correct, IKON could change things, maybe not for the better wrt pow chasing.