• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Family trip to Solitude--advice/thoughts please

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Cheers friends. I'm considering a late March trip to Solitude with (green-circle) wife and (skilled) teen daughters. I haven't been there in 30 years. The family typically skis a 3-4 day trip every year to Big Sky/Telluride/Whitefish/Steamboat etc. I typically augment with a dad-trip to Alta. Anyway, back to Solitude. The wife is attracted tp the simplicity of a shuttle up, ski, shuttle down, done. Is 4 skis days at Solitude going to be boring/limiting? I know we can go to Brighton for a day, etc. She's not really interested in driving from Soli to Alta/DV etc...

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Overall that could work well. Yes Soli can keep you entertained for 3 or 4 days especially if one is spent at Brighton.
When you say shuttle up and down do you mean sleeping in Salt Lake Valley and riding UTA busses each day to ski? That can work but is a non-trivial commute that can be disrupted by crowds or storms. Staying in cute little slopeside Solitude Village would be simpler if your budget allows.

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Overall that could work well. Yes Soli can keep you entertained for 3 or 4 days especially if one is spent at Brighton.
When you say shuttle up and down do you mean sleeping in Salt Lake Valley and riding UTA busses each day to ski? That can work but is a non-trivial commute that can be disrupted by crowds or storms. Staying in cute little slopeside Solitude Village would be simpler if your budget allows.
Sorry--yes--stay in the village, private Canyon Shuttle from SLC with grocery stop.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On our family Solitude trips we always stayed at the Inn....but would definitely stay in those condos right in the village if/when we go back. Yes, Solitude for 3/4 days is fine....you'll really be able to explore the mountain and learn what areas you like the most. If your kids are up to it/and conditions warrant....get them back into Honeycomb Canyon. That made the trip for my girls....(we ended up naming our dog Honeycomb/because taking them back into that canyon when they were young was so impactful.)

Make sure you get over to Brighton for a day to experience all of BCC.

While staying up in the canyon....make sure to go to Silver Fork for dinner, etc. My kids/we all loved that place (Elmo's meatloaf....lol)

Reactions: ejj

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
There is enough at Solitude for you and your daughters to enjoy four days, though as mentioned Brighton is fantastic and right there. The others who have replied, I think, were thinking mostly from the perspective of advanced skiers... and from that perspective, I agree with all their comments.

There is far less terrain quantity and variety marked green circle at Solitude, when compared to Telluride, Steamboat, Whitefish, or Big Sky. There's a bunny hill that doubles as the route between the village and the main base, with a double and surface lift. And the Moonbeam Express which is a Minnesota-size lift in the heart of the ski area, with green and blue runs, and access to more of the mountain--so it can be pretty congested.

I'd say it depends a lot on your wife's situation and personality whether it's enough for her. The other mountains you mention have long smooth green cruisers through large sections of the mountain, allowing exploration and long gentle runs without re-boarding the lift... the only somewhat comparable experiences in Utah would be Deer Valley or Powder Mountain. Brighton offers more green-marked variety, but still not a ton.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like Deer Valley or Park City/Canyons would be a better fit for your wife and there’s plenty of terrain for you and your daughters. Plus many more options for dining and activities in Park City.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just do the plan and avoid an argument Unless this is some last hurrah, just check it off and then you know and then do the next location next trip

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Thanks for the many tidbits of advice. Wife and Daughters changed tack and we are now going to Jackson...

Sponsor

Staff online