• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

F1 2017

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I want to see Button start on Super-Softs and switch to Ultras for lap 2. You're already last, why not?

scott43

Skier
I enjoyed reading Hamilton saying he was devastated by qualifying 14th. I don't know what word he'd use if a plane crashed on the track killing a hundred people.. Really devastating?? :roflmao:

scott43

Skier
I want to see Button start on Super-Softs and switch to Ultras for lap 2. You're already last, why not?
You bet. That's part of the benefit of the pit lane start, especially in the last few years..pick whatever tires you want. I just don't know how many people he can pass on that track. Cars are wider, going to be even harder to pass. It's a terrible place for a race really...

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
RAI broke rule #1 of a track where you can't pass. Cover the car behind you. What were Ferrari thinking?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Quote of the day (so far):

"I don't have brakes, I don't have tires I don't know what to do. Please help me"

Just barely beats Jenson's "I am going to pee in your seat" to Fernando.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Honda sucks. :poo:

I'm guessing Alonso would agree *cough* Indy *cough*. But at least he was competitive and actually led at one point before his Honda unit let go.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Love all the whining among the media about Seb's win. It's quite OK for Mercedes to blatantly use team tactics. It's OK for Hamilton to get on the radio and ask to be let by. All that is OK. It's a TEAM sport right (I'm being a little sarcastic there)? Heck, even Hamilton is in on it as well saying Ferrari is favoring their driver. I love it. The love-fest is over. Time for some emotion.

First of all, Kimi was on the horn asking "We are going to box right?" and team responded, "yes, box this lap". Remember Kimi getting pissed earlier in the season when they left him out too long? Kimi and team had to cover Bottas. Hand it to Vettel to put in some blistering laps, but that wasn't enough on it's own. Raikkonen came out behind one of the Saubers (Wehrlein) that held him up. Vettel was also behind a Sauber (Ericsson) but he pitted on lap 35. Even THAT wasn't enough I don't think judging by how close they came out. A graphic showed Seb and Kimi's pit timing. Seb was a little over .5 second quicker coming in to the pit and had a slightly faster pit time. About 6/10 of a second total pit time advantage. had that gone the other way, Kimi would have had a 1.2 second advantage which probably would have been enough. Actually, with Seb's last two blistering laps, I thought Ferrari was calling him in early to make sure Kimi would be ahead! Surely he could have done one more quick lap. .

Pretty clear that the fastest driver won Sunday in a 0 passing glamour event. Heck, they could have reversed the field leaving Button on pole and he could have won. Speaking of button, W.I.T.H. was he thinking on that attempted Wehrlein pass?

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone watch Indy? Luckily, I could watch it on BT sport. When all you guys were watching commercials, we were watching discussion. Even the commentators talked about how many commercials the American broadcast has. That was the only thing that made watching the race tolerable. That and the Alonso story. Great to see him in the lead for a while.

It's weird, because the '73 Indy was the first race I ever watched. Accidents were always part of the race, so that's what I knew until I stopped watching when Tony George ruined thing. Now? I don't like Indy, now, because of all the accidents. There is a 100% chance there will be an accident. Some teams actually make the high percentage bet that a yellow will help their chances at the end of the race. That's like shorting a stock, buying into the VIX, etc. Betting something bad will happen. Accidents and yellows on an Indy level are a complete buzzkill.

It's unnecessarily dangerous and this coming from a person that believes motorsports should be dangerous on some level. Let's take Scott Dixon's accident. Forget the collision between the two drivers. It's obvious the safety cells are doing a great job. It's the 3 other things that could have gone wrong:

1. Debris field. Good there wasn't too much traffic, but still lucky noone got tagged. Remember the errant suspension piece that hit Massa in the head years ago?
2.jpg

2. Very small margin where the accident could have turned deadly. Castronenves was commited to go down the inside against the wall. He luckily drove underneath Dixon. I'd say it was about a .25 second difference or any other small thing, like Dixon not going quite as high and you'd have Dixon either coming down on top of Castroneves or worse, Castroneves spearing Dixon in the head.

3.jpg

If that's not enough, how would you like to drive your race car into a hunk of drivetrain flying across your path? Margin for that going very wrong was very small.
5.jpg

This guy got an image he'll never forget and thankfully a memory of crash where noone got hurt.

4.jpg

Anyway, I get that some folks like it and think the competition is exciting. I respect that. The part of the race I found pretty cool to watch was the Andretti team executing the race as a team. It's just all the damn yellows that completely neutralizes tactics. I will probably watch again if Alonso returns or maybe I'll just tune in to the last 30 laps.

scott43

Skier
Ferraris look dialed in. Mercedes fast but a bit poor on turn in. Verstappen was going well until he put a hole in his engine right in front of me. Alonso has trouble all day then hops in with 16 mins left in fp2 and bangs out a 7th fastest. Amazing

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I hope everyone caught Baku! Where to even begin? How many incidents were there?
Incident 1 BOT-RAI - pure racing incident as far as I am concerned, I am sure RAI feels otherwise, but it looked to me like BOT just couldn't hold it.
Incident 2 KVY-SAI - this wasn't even an incident, as much as I respect SAI's driving, he threw it away
Incident 3 HAM-VET - penalties for both. HAM brake tested him and VET went NASCAR on him. Cale Yarborough would have been proud.

How about Stroll? Too bad Massa's guys didn't catch the damper problem before the restart, considering his pace relative to Stroll, I have to think he could have at least made an attempt on RIC for the win. Either way, GREAT for Williams!

Speaking of the red flag period, how was that for an own goal with HAM's pit crew? Oopsie. And RAI being penalized? BS. Did he get in to the pit before the red flag? I think he did. Perez might not have.

How about Perez and Ocon? Awkward!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hamilton's data showed he'd done nothing. I usually like Vettell but this time he went full hulk and whined like a little bitch. Should be worth more than a 10 sec stop go. Real life he'd be in jail for the sideswipe and that's before considering it was under a safety car.

It's a bit crap that the circuit requires safety cars for every clean up.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Did you watch the F2 race? I do wonder if they should just not go back to that circuit.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid