• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

F1 2017

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Fernando is at Indy today running a private test. He first had to get through a sequence of laps that kept him in a certain range. He's done all that and now running "free". Last lap of 221.5. Not sure how much longer they will run, but the live feed can be viewed here: http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/events/indy500/event-info/month-of-may-livestream. They have Mario and Johnny Rutherford on hand for commentary. Supposedly around 500k folks streaming it so there seems to be a lot of interest.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't get me started on that topic... :nono:

Sorry for the thread drift but what is up with Ilmor engines? Some tournament waterski boats use Ilmor engines. A couple teething problems stirred up a bit of controversy but not too bad now. Of course, waterski boats aren't limited by the engine or its power output.

Eric

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll probably watch for the circus aspect of it. I highly respect his driving ability. If anyone can get up to speed it might be him. It's a jump though..I don't think it will be as easy as he thinks..or maybe everyone else thinks..I think he probably has an idea that it won't be simple.

should be interesting,. For me Alonso is still one of the most gifted "natural" drivers out there

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Sorry for the thread drift but what is up with Ilmor engines? Some tournament waterski boats use Ilmor engines. A couple teething problems stirred up a bit of controversy but not too bad now. Of course, waterski boats aren't limited by the engine or its power output.

Eric

Ilmor was started by 2 engineers who originally worked at Cosworth (Illien and Morgan), which itself was named after 2 engineers from England, Costin and Duckworth (CosWorth). The Cosworth v8 engine monopolized racing in the 70's and 80's and in CART in the 90's. The two Ilmor guys split from Cosworth and went out on their own. They're basically engine designers for hire. They work in a (somewhat) secret manner at times to design and modify engines for various companies. Much like Lotus does engineering for car manufacturers kind of on the sly. They designed engines for Mercedes for F1 and Mercedes actually owns them now I believe. The stuff those four guys (I think a couple of them are dead now..) know about engines could fill a library I bet.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@scott43 Thanks for the insight. Penske bought Mastercraft a couple years before the engine change to Ilmor from the ultra reliable Indmar marine conversion. The Ilmor engines are OK but the Indmar engines are in demand in the used market.

While Mastercraft had some money problems a while ago and I'm not sure how much Penske retains today, Mastercraft has a nice tournament boat and is doing well with the Ilmor engine. Sounds from your information that the engine wasn't the problem. Boats are a tough business. Like race cars?

Eric

scott43

Skier
Yeah, the old joke, the best way to get a million dollars in car racing is to start with 5 million... Cosworth and Ilmor though, they were kinda smart. They were very talented and sold the hardware. They dev'd the Chevy V6 used in IRL..just badged it as a Chev. Labour of love I suppose. Engineers are engineers because they're engineers..not like they'd be good at customer relations... :roflmao:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Hey wait, I'm an engineer.

And I'm reengineing a boat. I didn't think that I had too much money - but...

Eric
BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand. I've experienced both happy days in a boat owners life, but still miss my '88 17' Whaler Montauk. Oooh, drift much? ;-)

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Supposedly ILMOR is involved in the effort to turn around the Honda engine.

scott43

Skier
Supposedly ILMOR is involved in the effort to turn around the Honda engine.

Yeah I've read that as well. Which is kinda funny because they're owned by Mercedes. I expect a Honda-badged Mercedes engine shortly to be making an appearance.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier

He's done a pretty good job of staying relatively positive while continuing to hold Honda's feet to the fire.

Entertaining qualifying. Vettel had it. A bit over .4 through the second sector then gave it up in the third with that mistake on the last corner. RBR has closed a bit of gap as well. Bodes well for tomorrow's race.

Great qualifying effort by Alonso to get 7th. Actually finishing the race would set him up well for the rest of the month.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I'm starting to get concerned about Stoffel. He was good in Bahrain last year, but Alonso sure does have him handled, doesn't he. Better than Lance Stroll at least.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Stoffel definitely threw away his race hitting Massa today. Granted, 17th or so was about the best he was looking at.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Best moment of the race: Kimi's super-fan get's to visit the pits.

Great but totally anonymous race by Force India.

Wondering fi Alonso's car had damage.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well a bit of excitement, some team tactics and Hammy's back at it.

Jenson Button to unretire to cover Alonso while he tries to bag Indy.