• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

F1 2017

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Looks like I'm heading to Montreal for the race. Some interesting story lines..it seems Ferrari are looking pretty good unless Mercedes is sandbagging..which is entirely possible.. McLaren..sad..Honda..sad.. Bernie got shoved aside according to most reports..he was something of a dinosaur so maybe this is a good thing. But let's remember he made F1 what it is today and lots of people got rich along with himself. I'll be tuning in this weekend provided Junior allows me to!!! :(

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had access to a subscription for NBC Sports last year, which was nice to follow F1 as well as WC racing. This year we'll have to find other ways to catch the action.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well yer man now has about the finest villainous tache I've ever seen. Bit of a change in the pantomime from the grumpy dwarf. Remains to be seen if its going to become a sport or remain WWE for tech nerds.

Hamilton to take the season by a long stretch. Vettel to be best of the rest. Verstappen and Ricciardo to come to blows as teammates who hate each other.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The young wunderkind Lance Stroll is making his F1 debut for Williams. 2nd youngest rookie behind Max Verstappen. Should be interesting. Lets hope he doesn't make a mess of it

scott43

Skier
I'm semi-excited about Stroll..part of me is, hey, Canadian! Part of me is, damn rich kid. I suppose you'd get to be a good driver if your dad owns the Mont Tremblant race track.. Anyway, I like the Williams..cool looking car. I'm kinda liking Bottas..unfortunately he is driving for Mercedes. And god love Massa. Hoping for a good year from him and hoping Paddy Lowe can give them something extra. I do think Ricciardo/Verstappen and Verstappen versus the world is a good story line. Can Kimi and Seb chuck the Mercs over?? I hope someone can...

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
My inner F1 fan is kind of beside himself about the McLaren situation. I really hope Honda can at the very least get them across the line. In the meantime, I will be rooting for Williams, RIC, VES, RAI and BOT pretty much in that order.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Schweet!

The winning car was not Mercedes.

Italy may be having a national holiday today.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Doesn't bode well for an interesting season though given that the only real action was a pit-stop.

The 12 year old French boy (under a Mercedes contract) who got his first points for Force India looks like the real deal though - Esteban Ocon

I've heard some suggestions that Mercedes were sandbagging it a bit - no point in going all out for a win this early in the season - better to preserve engines (plus of course no harm from a hype perspective in letting the public think there is real competition this year)

scott43

Skier
I have a bad feeling its' going to be a terrible year for racing... I had visions of the Trulli-train in my head.... :( I don't understand F1 sometimes..why do they set a goal of the cars being 5 seconds a lap faster?? WHO CARES?!?!? So they give them more downforce and make even more turbulence making it even harder to pass. Boo.. I expect Ross Brawn to have this cleared up within 3 years..but..that's 3 years...sigh...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ross Brawn FOR THE WIN!!!

But, yep, it might take him three (five?) years.

In the meantime, the best racing action in the world is usually found in MotoGP.

Last season, there were nine separate winners, and a ton of good racing.

(no spoilers, please, I haven't seen 2017 Race 1 yet)

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
You don't have to have tons of overtakes to have great racing. You do need cars that can run within sniffing distance of each other. Hakkinen's pass on MS at Spa wouldn't have been so impressive if it wasn't for the struggle that preceded it.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
I thought the race in China was decent. Some great passing with some epic (and ironic) whining by Verstappen.

I mean, what could a fan want? Hope more closely matched cars can pull off the same exciting passes.

Seems like a love-fest between Vettel and Hamilton. Really hope that changes. :D

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Interesting race. Outcome, possibly setup by Bottas getting pole. Fantastic start by Vettel getting by Hamilton. Too bad Verstappen lost his brakes. Loved Alonso getting, deservedly so, pissed off about being down a lot of power on the straights. Couldn't believe the timing of the safety car, soon after Ferrari exercised a successful undercut, but it still, luckily, worked. We aren't seeing it with the front-runners unfortunately, but there is some entertaining passing going on behind the leaders. Despite Toto Wolff saying Mercedes would let his drivers race, it's obvious Bottas is #2. Waiting for Hamilton to show his true colors...I'm confident we'll see it, but a castrated Bottas will delay it for a while.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I don't see anything wrong with Bottas giving HAM the pass. He was so obviously lacking in pace that I'd like to think he'd have moved over without the order.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't see anything wrong with Bottas giving HAM the pass. He was so obviously lacking in pace that I'd like to think he'd have moved over without the order.
Sorry, don't agree. He's racing for the title at the end of the season (so he says), one doesn't just move over for a competitor. He wasn't lacking that much pace...and if he was, Hamilton should have been able to get by...I mean, there have been some great passes by everyone behind the leaders and Bahrain isn't Monaco. Annoyingly, earlier in the race, Hamilton was trying to get the team to let him past Bottas. Clearly, the entire team looks at him as a #2 even though Toto Wolff said during the week that he would allow his racers to compete until one was mathematically eliminated from the championship. Still a bit early to be eliminated. Ya, ok, you don't need to make your car Verstappen-wide towards your teammate, but just letting him by and gifting him points is wrong if you are a driver truly on equal footing with your teammate. Anyway, it's cool. Bottas is the #2 driver. Just another in a long line of #2 drivers. :)

@scott43, I know. Man, that was a mugging. Appropriate penalty although I think he should get more than two penalty points added to his racing license.

edit. Just in: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-ready-to-rethink-team-orders-approach-895039/

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online