• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fútbol, The Global Kind

James

Out There
Instructor
5-1! Iceland was rejected at the line though.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well final is 5-2. They made it interesting till the end. They just gave the ball away too much and simply don't have the technical quality in general.

James

Out There
Instructor
Good show from a small country though, eh? Nice to see.
Amazing.
Here's the coach:

---------------------------------
"I'd like to congratulate France," he said. "They're a fantastic team and they made us look bad, even if we contributed to that.

"These four-and-a-half years have been a fantastic journey for me. With all the fans coming here and what we heard from back home, and all the positivity and interest -- I feel it deep in my heart. I've enjoyed every minute, except maybe the first 45 minutes today."

He said the poor first half had been down to psychological errors.

"We didn't handle it well mentally, but in the second half we showed it wasn't a physical problem," he said.

"These are the games you have to learn from, and we need to learn from this. This was a good reminder that you have to have the right attitude every second.

"If you look at the whole tournament, to reach the quarterfinals as a newcomer is absolutely fantastic. We didn't use our brains, but part of that might be France playing very well. We made mistakes and were too passive."
-------------------------------
http://www.espnfc.com/iceland/story...-errors-as-france-loss-ends-fantastic-journey

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well final is 5-2. They made it interesting till the end. They just gave the ball away too much and simply don't have the technical quality in general.

They actually have much better technical stuff than they displayed in the first half today. They were definitely off, for whatever reason. I didn't see the whole second half, but what I saw looked better. The whole reason they have made it this far is that they have really, really sound basics. Balls always had a purpose, movement off the ball was good, all that "organized" stuff. They didn't look the same today, and it wasn't just because France was great (which they were). Simple passes in the first 10 min were awry. Hey, Germany dropped 7 on Brazil a couple years ago, sometimes it just happens.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wearing a Germany jersey right now. Nothing personal. Perfectly happy with France winning too. Game on!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
France! Their speed was a little too much for Germany.

James

Out There
Instructor
Germany just can't finish. No good to posses the ball 60% of the time and not score.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Did that hack just blow Renaldo's knee?? Play wasn't overly dirty but it was knee on knee. I want France to win, but not that way..

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That bad call on the handball almost cost France. Glad the direct kick didn't go in. Portugal earned the goal shortly after IMO. Won without #7.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bleh game. Portugal- getting by by not losing this whole tournament. Their goalie was good. That free kick by Guerri? Put Ronaldo to shame.

Did that hack just blow Renaldo's knee?? Play wasn't overly dirty but it was knee on knee. I want France to win, but not that way..
One of the commentators blamed that on Ronaldo actually. Something like stopping awkwardly and giving defender little choice but to go into him. It wasn't much of a challenge really. Sometimes stuff happens.

James

Out There
Instructor
USWNT wins first game in Rio 2016!
Beats New Zealand 2-0.

The team looked really good. They've got depth too.
Carli Scored with a header.
Morgan scored from range. That should free her up.
Tobin Heath was a constant pressure with very good corner kicks. Heather O'Reilly played the whole field.
Mallory Pugh is insanely fast and now experienced even at 18 yrs old.
Crystal Dunn has great ball skills and nearly got Heath a goal after beating 2 defenders.
France on Sat will be a big test.
I can't remember a recent wcup or olympics where they started so well. This could become one of the best teams ever. We'll see.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Fans were BOOING and chanting "ZIKA!!! ZIKA!!!" every time Solo touched the ball..

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Super cool to see Mal Pugh out there. I missed today's game, but her transition has been unbelievably seamless. We got to spend 8 years watching her torch my daughter's club and high school teams here, nice to be able to cheer for her finally.

James

Out There
Instructor
Fans were BOOING and chanting "ZIKA!!! ZIKA!!!" every time Solo touched the ball..
The sparse crowd in general seemed pro New Zealand. Perhaps Brazil hasn't gotten over Solo's saves on pk's in 2011 wcup vs Brazil.

France is killing Columbia 3-0. France has some huge players. Two center backs must be well over 6 ft.

James

Out There
Instructor
Super cool to see Mal Pugh out there. I missed today's game, but her transition has been unbelievably seamless. We got to spend 8 years watching her torch my daughter's club and high school teams here, nice to be able to cheer for her finally.
Wow that's cool you got to see her. She's quite a talent. Superfast, good on the ball with seemingly a good sense of where to be without it. She chased down a couple on defense that were an incredible feat. She didn't play the 2nd half after 50min - Dunn did. Rapinoe was also on the bench and didn't play. Is she hurt?

Pretty good when you've got Dunn, Rapinoe, Christen Presse, Ali Krieger on the bench.
France destroys a poor Columbia 4-0.
Big game Sat!

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow that's cool you got to see her. She's quite a talent. Superfast, good on the ball with seemingly a good sense of where to be without it. She chased down a couple on defense that were an incredible feat. She didn't play the 2nd half after 50min - Dunn did. Rapinoe was also on the bench and didn't play. Is she hurt?

Pretty good when you've got Dunn, Rapinoe, Christen Presse, Ali Krieger on the bench.
France destroys a poor Columbia 4-0.
Big game Sat!

Rapinoe had ACL surgery back in December, so she is not really fit. Her selection to the team was somewhat controversial because it's a small roster. But she's known as a game changer even in a limited role, and someone whose personality is a big part of the team, so I think it's probably a pretty good choice to take her along.

Oh, and Pugh -- yeah. Her game sense is second to none. Her skills and speed are excellent, too, but that's not as rare as her brain. She just gets the game.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bummer about Rapinoe. They replayed the Canada-US 2012 London game. Rapinoe was so key in that.
Pugh definitely plays well beyond her 18 years on the planet. On an experienced team I'd take her over say the speedy Lisa de Vanna of Australia.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pretty important group win over France today for our ladies. I caught the last 25 minutes. Defense bent but didn't break. USA!! USA!!! USA!! USA!!! USA!! USA!!! USA!! USA!!!

Sponsor

Staff online