• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
What advantage is all metal vs plastic?

I'll apologize in advance if I'm raining on anyone's Heavy Metal parade.

The platform on the metal (AFD / Toe) are more substancial / larger & the lack of vertical release gives a more solid connection/feel.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What advantage is all metal vs plastic? The last bindings (excluding AFDs) that I saw breaking due to inadequate plastic were Atomic 914s and they were recalled. Plastic these days isn't what it used to be. It is far better. For that matter, my Solomon S914s I race on are plastic and I am quite comfortable with that. Even though they are 15 years old.

I'll apologize in advance if I'm raining on anyone's Heavy Metal parade.
Apology accepted.
I've just heard the new ____ is just as good as the old _____ too often and had it proven wrong too many times.
My opinion doesn't really matter here though; I ended up on the Tyrolia 490 metal bindings with the diagonal heel release, not the Look Pivots (though they came in a close 2nd).

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
DF7B1C45-C877-4E60-9442-9F87F7255D81.jpeg
C6B4729F-BA3F-4A0E-88C2-BBA22548F658.jpeg
:drool:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry I missed these questions...
Nice cosmetics. Still no Pivot 15 or are you holding out on us? Not that I could use a 15, I'm a 5.5 DIN, but...
IIRC from another thread the Look Pivot Dual also did Grip Walk. Has there been a physical change in design fron the current "Dual" to the '19 Alpine/Grip Walk or is it just marketing?
The AFD/base for the 12 & 14 AW is indeed different than the Dual AFD/base. The Duals had the switch to accomodate WTR, the AW does not, it is a solid AFD.

So, WTR is being phased out for GripWalk. Look's "Dual" WTR is compatible with GripWalk boots. '19 Pivot's will be GripWalk via an AFD change while SPX and NX 12 remains "Dual". All of which brings to question if '19 GripWalk Pivot's will be backward compatible with WTR? I get the idea not, idk?
Curious as it could influence a slackcountry backcountry beef boot purchase on a '17/'18 end of year deal...
Also, and this may be a premature question but that it's only an AFD change and if no WTR backward compatibility of '19 GripWalk Pivot's, would a shop be able to swap out the AFD of a '19 Pivot with the dope cosmetics with a '18 Pivot "Dual WTR AFD?
I think they would be able to swap out the AFD's but I would just get the Gripwalk soles for the Lange boots part #LVHLZEO or LVHLZDO depending on boot. The Pivot 18 does have a different WTR AFD, not sure if there is a GripWalk AFD for the metal toe yet. I will look into it.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Actually they are 2018's but special editions. I am trying to secure a pair to give away.

Anyone seen these in a shop? Are they available anywhere online? Info please!

And just to add some more color fade to the thread, THESE are the Kerma poles that would add to my joy...

Look Bindings Ski Poles300 dpi.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone seen these in a shop? Are they available anywhere online? Info please!

And just to add some more color fade to the thread, THESE are the Kerma poles that would add to my joy...

View attachment 37533
I thought you only used those weird D handled poles that you can hang on the safety bar.

I have an old pair mounted on Rossi 9s 9.9 or something like that. Early shaped ski. Not that yellow overly stiff one. I should try that ski again in the spring.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Check out what our friends at Newschoolers said and referenced HERE.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January