• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Electric MTB---Wow!

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm still a pedaling purist, but I can see the day 5 or 10 years down the road.

On a related note, I am VERY interested in replacing my KTM dirt bike with one of these in a couple of years,]

Again, don't decide they are just for old folks until you try one. There are places that never were fun, even when I was a fit young racer, that are just great on that bike. Sandy trails torn up by horses are an example. A soft 2.8 tire smooths it out a but doesn't feel heavy, and the slow rolling surface is suddenly smooth spinning.

The e motorcycles look interesting as well, but that is a different sport. These feel like mountain biking, not like a cross between biking and motorized sport.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
We are still powering our own MTB's, but did pick up a couple of pedal-assist road bikes since they came with our house (a long story). We live at the top of a neighborhood which is a tough ride up. We call them our happy hour bikes since they are a blessing after tipping a few. I didn't think I'd really use them, but they have really been nice to have. Our bike wall is full now so something needs to go before any more are added...

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, we have less snow now than we had at the beginning of November. We have racked up 800 off road miles on those bikes though, and we like them so much we just bought a second set for Europe. We keep a pair of 20 year old 26" titanium mtb's in France. They just got upgraded.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
While at the LBS this past weekend I was offered a free demo of an e-mountain bike. I declined the offer as it seemed a slippery slope that would end up with me spending more $$$ on a mtn bike. Will the prices come down soon?

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Well, we have less snow now than we had at the beginning of November. We have racked up 800 off road miles on those bikes though, and we like them so much we just bought a second set for Europe. We keep a pair of 20 year old 26" titanium mtb's in France. They just got upgraded.

Are they still at the house in Cotignac? I need to get back there.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Saw a guy older than me (that would make him pretty old) at the store with a trike yesterday; super fat tires all the way around at least 21 speeds with a small trailer on the back. Thought it was very cool set-up for a running around toy. Saw him on the way home going 25 MPH up a small hill and not pedaling.

Thought that was a very mind expanding little set-up.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While at the LBS this past weekend I was offered a free demo of an e-mountain bike. I declined the offer as it seemed a slippery slope that would end up with me spending more $$$ on a mtn bike. Will the prices come down soon?

We made the mistake of taking one of those demos on a Pivot Shuttle and I will go back the the title here, WOW. The Pivot uses a Shimano motor and was very easy to use, mechanically the drive train is a "one by" with the electric motor feeling like a multiplier for that additional power. Just riding it around the parking lot was intoxicating and I look forward to taking one out on the trails. Will these replace traditional mountain bikes? I don't know...will those new fanlged "shape" or cheater skis replace straight skis? Will high speed uphill capacity lifts replace fixed frip chairs? With the automobile replace the horse & buggy? The list goes on. Yes, it is a bit tongue in cheek but burning 2,000 calories on a ride is not the goal for every rider, some just want to get out and enjoy the outdoors. These designs are an assist, not a replace.

Will the prices come down? I am sure there will be less expensive options coming down the trail, just as there are less expensive options now but like with most bikes, you pretty much get what you pay for. The more you spend the more (performance & quality) and less (weight) you get. Would I condsider one? Absolutely. I am...now to find a company who wants us to do an extended test.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was riding to the office a couple days ago and some guy blows past me on a mountain bike. I'm not a lame rider and usually I'm the one blowing past people. But I couldn't sprint to get on his wheel with my road bike. Wow! OK, he did look a bit like Peter Sagan so maybe that explains it.

Now I come across this thread...

Getting whupped by Peter Sagan is a way better story than being passed by an E bike.

Eric

Last year I was pedaling up a steep hill on a local gravel mutli-use path when an older guy went by me like I was standing still. Now, this isn't all that unusual in Boulder County but this guy did not look at all fit so I was a bit confused. This hill is a pretty immediate up/over/down and I caught him on the downhill side pretty quickly which is when I noticed that it was an e-bike. I was extremely grateful to not have been dusted by an unfit older dude but just by his electric assist.

Locally there is quite a bit of controversy regarding e-bikes. I think the biggest argument against e-bikes is that they will bring too many people to the local mtb trails which are pretty busy as it is. I see both sides of the argument and I haven't really formed an opinion.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I looked at these and thought they would be fun. Ends up they are not allowed on bike paths or trails around me. Though I have seen them being used anyway.

For now, I still like to pedal.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The argument against eMTB's on mountain bike trails is that more people can venture further out. The 'elitist' attitude is that if they attract more new riders, the new riders won't understand trail etiquette or respect the effort of the trail builders and folks who maintain the trails. Instant access and zero skill = bad for the trails. I'm not saying that I agree with this... but I don't completely disagree.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Geezered by an electric motor. :rolleyes:

That's almost as funny as Peter Mayle getting geezered by a chain smoking frenchman in his Year in Provence.

I looked at these and thought they would be fun. Ends up they are not allowed on bike paths or trails around me.

That's pretty much the case here too. They fall entirely within moped rules, which is apropriate for a portmanteau of motor and pedal. They are also not allowed on Interstate Highways, which combination (no path, no highway) effectively renders them illegal to use on all DC area bridges except one. They're perfectly legal on Key Bridge, and you're even allowed to split lanes.

Though I have seen them being used anyway.

Yup, here too.

For now, I still like to pedal.

There are plenty of eMTB power delivery curves that are completely mapped to your pedaling effort. IOW, if you don't pedal there ain't no power.

Meh..it's BS..but whatever..we allow electric scooters in traffic without a license..wtf?

Within our local jurisdictions there is zero distinction between eMTB and electric scooter. e-Scooters are only allowed on one bridge and on no trails (officially).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Last year I was pedaling up a steep hill on a local gravel mutli-use path when an older guy went by me like I was standing still. Now, this isn't all that unusual in Boulder County but this guy did not look at all fit so I was a bit confused. This hill is a pretty immediate up/over/down and I caught him on the downhill side pretty quickly which is when I noticed that it was an e-bike. I was extremely grateful to not have been dusted by an unfit older dude but just by his electric assist.

Locally there is quite a bit of controversy regarding e-bikes. I think the biggest argument against e-bikes is that they will bring too many people to the local mtb trails which are pretty busy as it is. I see both sides of the argument and I haven't really formed an opinion.

QFT. Summit County is feeling the same growing pains. One thing we don't need is people getting over their heads on the trail system. One thing that going 'au naturel' does is limits how far/how much trouble you can get yourself into.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
The argument against eMTB's on mountain bike trails is that more people can venture further out. The 'elitist' attitude is that if they attract more new riders, the new riders won't understand trail etiquette or respect the effort of the trail builders and folks who maintain the trails. Instant access and zero skill = bad for the trails. I'm not saying that I agree with this... but I don't completely disagree.

I like the irony that in many cases, these elitist are the same people screaming that they should have unfettered access to public lands, but not those other people.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid