• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Electric MTB---Wow!

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bikesdirect came out with a high end ebike. I always found their bikes a good deal, and have been thinking about the potential of an ebike, We saw some in the mountains of France on this year's mtb trip. I took the plunge and OMG, is this thing fun.

moto hal-eboost-blk-21.jpg

It is essentially the same bike Diamondback sells in Europe, but it is $3500 here, not $4600. XT level parts, 140 mm suspension, 27.5 plus tires

The Shimano steps mtb system is amazing. It has torque sensor input control, so it adds power only when pedaling, and the harder you pedal, the more assistance it delivers. It is so quiet and smooth that it just seems like you are Peter Sagan, not some aging rider with a small motor.

We have not been able to use up a battery yet. A ride of 34 miles of dirt,slush and snow, with 2600 ft of climbing, used about 65% of it.

My wife is gah-gah, glassy-eyed, nutso about hers. Out riding every day, in all sorts of weather and already planning on all sorts of new trips in the west and in Europe. Also, she has no problem keeping up with me, she justs ups the assist a bit, and she still uses less battery power than I do. She had been thinking about getting a motorcycle by her 70th birthday (not so far off) but found them heavy, noisy, and a struggle to handle. Those are no longer under consideration.

I guess they aren't legal on some of our famous trails. No big deal. Many of those were ruined long ago by the organized gangs of downhillers who are shuttled up in bike shop buses, only to scream back to town wearing full pads. We have miles of stuff to ride here, and google earth on our side.

Last edited:
TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmmm they claim for all sizes 68 degrees, though the 38 and 46 frames don't seem the same. Then again the 140 mmm travel fork can be set up with a fair amount of sag so effective geometry changes. Looked like a fairly slack head tube but it carves turns pretty well and the ft wheel hasn't shown any wash out. Have not felt like an endo was coming either. About the last thing I'd worry about.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Very cool.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nah, you don't want to be learning new tricks at 70. Need to get one now to figure it all out when you're young. Me, I turn 63 tomorrow. Close enough.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm ok going solely pedal powered for a while yet.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sure, just don't make that proclamation until you've actually tried it. I can tell you, we have gotten far more exercise since we picked up these little gems than we would have otherwise. Last week I did a three hour ride which included a one hour uphill slog in snow. Would not have bothered on a regular bike, in fact I ran into a sponsored mtb racer who was turning back as it got deeper.-------- Don't think that ride would have worked out too well on Scott's Yamaha either. These things have a niche we are just figuring out.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have heard nothing but great things about these electric mountain bikes..I wondered when we would see some serious discussion here.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Bikesdirect came out with a high end ebike. I always found their bikes a good deal, and have been thinking about the potential of an ebike, We saw some in the mountains of France on this year's mtb trip. I took the plunge and OMG, is this thing fun.

View attachment 33846

It is essentially the same bike Diamondback sells in Europe, but it is $3500 here, not $4600. XT level parts, 140 mm suspension, 27.5 plus tires

The Shimano steps mtb system is amazing. It has torque sensor input control, so it adds power only when pedaling, and the harder you pedal, the more assistance it delivers. It is so quiet and smooth that it just seems like you are Peter Sagan, not some aging rider with a small motor.

We have not been able to use up a battery yet. A ride of 34 miles of dirt,slush and snow, with 2600 ft of climbing, used about 65% of it.

My wife is gah-gah, glassy-eyed, nutso about hers. Out riding every day, in all sorts of weather and already planning on all sorts of new trips in the west and in Europe. Also, she has no problem keeping up with me, she justs ups the assist a bit, and she still uses less battery power than I do. She had been thinking about getting a motorcycle by her 70th birthday (not so far off) but found them heavy, noisy, and a struggle to handle. Those are no longer under consideration.

I guess they aren't legal on some of our famous trails. No big deal. Many of those were ruined long ago by the organized gangs of downhillers who are shuttled up in bike shop buses, only to scream back to town wearing full pads. We have miles of stuff to ride here, and google earth on our side.

This bike is gold for those of us who are heavier, recovering from injuries and or just not being 100% for whatever reason.

I weight 185-190 and in some hills if I am not putting out 200-250W or more I am walking. THis bike would take care of that.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there enough power that you can you avoid pedaling completely in most or all situations?

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This bike is gold for those of us who are heavier, recovering from injuries and or just not being 100% for whatever reason.

I weight 185-190 and in some hills if I am not putting out 200-250W or more I am walking. THis bike would take care of that.

yeah, my wife made a good observation---the bike really encourages a good smooth spin. On a regular bike, as you move into sand, snow, or a grinding uphill, your spin wants to change to more of a stomp. The motor levels out the dead spot in your pedalling resulting in a nice spin which feels much better on the knees. We find we climb some technical sections slower with the motor because there is no need to hit it with momentum---you have the luxury of picking a nice line and getting a bit of boost when you need the power up the next step.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there enough power that you can you avoid pedaling completely in most or all situations?

If you don't pedal, you don't go anywhere. It has a torque sensor, and adds to your power. It kicks on and off with remarkable smoothness as you start and stop pedalling. An exception is "walk assist" It will help push the bike up a hill if you are walking, but cuts off as soon as the wheel freewheels.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still a pedaling purist, but I can see the day 5 or 10 years down the road.

On a related note, I am VERY interested in replacing my KTM dirt bike with one of these in a couple of years, once they get a US distributor, and work out all the early production bugs. About 100 pounds and plenty fast for the tight, rough trails out my back door.

http://www.lmxbikes.com/en/full-lmx-bike/58-lmx-161-moto-freeride.html
lmx-161-moto-freeride.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was riding to the office a couple days ago and some guy blows past me on a mountain bike. I'm not a lame rider and usually I'm the one blowing past people. But I couldn't sprint to get on his wheel with my road bike. Wow! OK, he did look a bit like Peter Sagan so maybe that explains it.

Now I come across this thread...

Getting whupped by Peter Sagan is a way better story than being passed by an E bike.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online