• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
Saw this pop up on my facebook feed. Some sort of new fangled folding ski:

tactix-folded.png

(source: Elan)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We did see this at the trade show last year.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My first thought was "why?" but then I saw the tech binding. Might catch on...

Why? So it can give you a massive failure when you're miles away from civilization in chest deep BC snow leaving you to post hole all the way back carrying the pieces..

TS
MattFromCanada

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
The only thing I can think of is being able to keep a pair in the trunk, so in the event you find yourself at Costco one Sunday loading up on toilet paper, and you happen to glance at your phone and see a promising snow alert, you can drop everything and go off to the slopes?

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Why? So it can give you a massive failure when you're miles away from civilization in chest deep BC snow leaving you to post hole all the way back carrying the pieces..
Well, if split board can work, why not split skis?

I don't get the why part myself either. But why not give it a chance?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are these approach skis?

I could see the utility where you are doing a ski tour and perhaps some means of travel where space was limited.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well, if split board can work, why not split skis?

I don't get the why part myself either. But why not give it a chance?
If the split board doesn't go back together you still have a ridable mechanism..

I'll hold out for the inflatable skis I know must be coming next hahahahaha.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Too specialized and too small of a market, imo. Manufacturers may be able to make a decent profit these days (or maybe not) producing small batch skis but I don't see ski shops stocking something like this.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Wasn't the guy who invented parabolic ski (Jurij Franko) developing something very similar to this? Anybody remember that topic on Epic?

Consider his relationship with Elan, I wonder if there's any relation between that and this.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Wasn't the guy who invented parabolic ski (Jurij Franko) developing something very similar to this? Anybody remember that topic on Epic?

Consider his relationship with Elan, I wonder if there's any relation between that and this.

EXACTLY!

Not the same tech as the development item discussed on Epic, But it's a "compromise".
There was a case made for the fact that the "typical ski forum participant" does not represent much of the world market for skis, and that "American skiers" are not the last word in what will sell.

I would try a pair in a heart beat, but doubt they would become my daily drivers.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Was thinking the same thing. I don't remember it looking like that tho, and thought there was a smartphone component?

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Was thinking the same thing. I don't remember it looking like that tho, and thought there was a smartphone component?

The one we saw on Epic also has a bridge which binding mounts on, but folds underfoot instead of at the tail. The bridge is adjustable for torsional rigidity (which can be manual or bluetooth).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Don't tell the airlines, bingo, no more full length skis checked free....

My first thought on who would be the target market for the folding ski was all the Aussies who leave their skis at home when they ski in Canada and find it cheaper to do long term rentals rather then pay costly shipping charges to the airlines.

Stikki

Booting up
Skier
Target market for these are mountaineering/skiing, it's a small market but if you're the only player you can own that market. Their target also includes military usage which one contract could justify the tooling costs for the total run of all consumer units. From the Elan site:

"Folding skis strapped to a backpack allow for much greater maneuverability during technical ascents on foot. There is nothing sticking out above the head and below the belt to impede the climber. Folding skis also facilitate climbs that require the use of ice axes because the arms can swing freely overhead. This greatly increases safety. Folding skis also bring unique advantages to descents, particularly at times when they need to be taken off for whatever reason. Classical skis strapped to a backpack tend to snag on rocks and roots, even the slope itself can be a hindrance. Folding skis immediately resolve all these issues"

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm sure market for this is relatively small. But this was in first place developed for army use, so market can be small, but prices for those deals are normally pretty good ;) I guess you all know army deals are never in touch with reality, so I wouldn't be too surprised if Elan would be selling pair of these skis for 3 times the price of best and most expensive race ski :) And they have deal with Slovenian army already and are suppose to have basically done deal with Swiss army.
Personally I haven't seen them, and I'm not interested in that anyway. For my ski touring, I still have no issues carrying my 190cm powder skis that don't fold. But considering completely different mentality in ski touring field over Europe, it would actually be possible to see quite many of these things in mountains around here. When it comes to backcountry skiing, I'm more into thinking that you guys on the other side of ocean have, while most of people over here don't really care that much for skiing, but priority is on going up. That's why in backcountry you might see maybe 10% of people on powder skis, and rest are narrow super light skimo planks, which makes you fly up, but you are just praying to survive going down. So for those, super light, foldable skis would be probably good thing.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January