• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Well a little skin cancer in my case called Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). Waiting for a surgery date so the Doctor can cut a quarter sized piece of skin off my face. Too much sun over the years paired with my fair Nordic skin are to blame. Asked the Doctor if more of the same is in my future and all that he said is they he has three surgeries already himself. Started routine dermatologist visits a few years back to keep an eye on my weather beaten skin. Enjoying the outdoors for years has taken it’s toll.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We ran into Hermann Gollner and @Weems Westfeldt at the Hall of Fame ceremonies and Weems was saying how good Herman's skin looked and that it was because he always protected his face with a bandana...even in the 60's and 70's when no one else was.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Of Irish descent. Been getting dermatologically sliced, burned or frozen on a nearly yearly basis since about age 40 :eek:and I really wasn't a sun worshiper as a young person. Skiing is obviously pretty hard on the face. No melanomas yet, but lots of other stuff. Hang in there, keep getting those check-ups. I try to use sunscreen a fair amount, but probably not as religious as I should be. My dad survived three melanomas before various other old age stuff got him at 94.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
Irish here, too. They say you do something like 80% of your skin damage in your childhood, and back then we didn't know anything about skin cancer. Sea&Ski SPF 6 was the routine at our place; slap that on a bunch of pale Irish kids and it's" gone pecan" as soon as they go swimming. I'm hyper-attentive to skin protection now. Good luck to you, @Guy in Shorts; may your recovery be quick and complete.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 100% Danish with blue eyes and reddish brown/blonde hair. I had a malignant melanoma on my neck about 15 years ago and had surgery.

While skiing I always wear a neck gator and goggles. Every 6 months I go in for a thorough skin cancer check. When I say thorough I mean thorough! My doctor checks EVERYWHERE! No stone goes left unturned!

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I'm not just Irish descent, I'm a red head and the whitest guy I know. The dermatologist freezes stuff off me every year, but no cancer yet. I'm actually surprised about that.

Good luck with your surgery.

dm

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in the Irish club- both parents hailed from Northern Ireland - dad was black Irish and mamma was a full ginger.I'm pretty fair but my poor son experiences the full benefits of the Irish heritage. One time while on a "sun sensitive" antibiotic, he sunburned in a blizzard through a buff! Needless to say we discontinued that antibiotic immediately! I nag him when he's with us, but he's 20 now and needs to take ownership for his own health. Keep sharp.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A retired co-worker of mine is going through a very tough battle with metastatic melanoma. The funny thing is, she was extremely careful about the sun..in her late 50's and skin is still like a china doll. Didn't matter. LIfe just sucks donkey balls sometimes.. :(

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Irish here, too. They say you do something like 80% of your skin damage in your childhood, and back then we didn't know anything about skin cancer. Sea&Ski SPF 6 was the routine at our place; slap that on a bunch of pale Irish kids and it's" gone pecan" as soon as they go swimming. I'm hyper-attentive to skin protection now. Good luck to you, @Guy in Shorts; may your recovery be quick and complete.

Yeah, it's important to protect kids from the sun. In Australia it's pretty common for schools to have a "no hat, no play" policy and many playgrounds have sun protection. We were surprised at how little attention was given to this at my daughter's school when we moved to California.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A retired co-worker of mine is going through a very tough battle with metastatic melanoma. The funny thing is, she was extremely careful about the sun..in her late 50's and skin is still like a china doll. Didn't matter. LIfe just sucks donkey balls sometimes.. :(

I didn't really mean to "like" that ... just agreeing. Yes there is cause and effect... sometimes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We ran into Hermann Gollner and @Weems Westfeldt at the Hall of Fame ceremonies and Weems was saying how good Herman's skin looked and that it was because he always protected his face with a bandana...even in the 60's and 70's when no one else was.
Hermann Gollner, is in his mid 70's
12977262_990434911047446_4230888952883233258_o.jpg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
My cousin got melanoma in his mid-20s; it went into remission but then came back suddenly when he was about 42 and killed him in just a few months. We used to have sunburn contests as young kids. I haven't been to the beach since I was about 25, and sunblock is my religion.
Best wishes to your friend, Scott43.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
There was no SPF anything in the 1940/50s, when I was sunburning myself regularly. I'm awaiting reports on the three pieces of my flesh the dermatologist cut off me Tuesday. I've also had a bunch of the liquid nitrogen stings, but no cancers yet.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I am also of the most gorgeous plumage and under "white guy" in the dictionary is my picture. I have worked outside all of my life and at least most of the time I wore a shirt. Having the skin peel off ones back after a trip to the beach will make that bit of coverage stick in your mind. I use sunscreen more often now, SPF 100 or as I call it SPF Irish. It works and works well.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes, sadly an awful lot of skin related stuff is genetic. I hope your friend recovers fully and in short order!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I had a bout with skin cancer a few years back. Started as a basil cell carcinoma & was surgically removed only to return a year later as a squamous cell carcinoma. This time along with surgical removal, I underwent 2 months of daily radiation treatments. I do not wish to repeat that but I guess it was better than some of the alternatives. So far it has not returned.
I started having precancerous lesions removed with liquid nitrogen at around age 40. I have used sunscreen religiously since it came on the market but a lifetime on the snow & water take their toll.

A lifelong family friend was diagnosed with melanoma about 6 years ago & was given 2 years to live. He went through all the aggressive treatments including radiation & chemo. Today he is cancer free.
Hope we all stay that way!

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe I should try to get some yard work done during the eclipse...

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I lost count of all the things that have been sliced and frozen on my body. Had a bad melanoma scare about 20 years ago and a number of melanoma insitu incisions since then. I stay away from the beach these days in favor of sliding on snow mid winter. My dermo guy likes to do the Blue Light treatment as a precaution rather than multiple freezes on my face. Works pretty well.

And yeah, I make him look EVERYWHERE.:eek: