• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Edge Grinder (Snow Glide)

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know the edge grinder topic has been discussed many times before, however looking to get some thoughts in regards to the Snow Glide AF-C (fixed 1* angles, no ability to calibrate) and the AF-L (0.1* increments and ability to calibrate.)

Big picture, I can get the AFC used for a very reasonable cost, or pay full pop for the AFL. The difference in money is not a make or break but who doesn't like to save some dough if possible.

Wondering if the lack of calibration is going to be an issue (not a WC tech, but ski parent/masters racer with lots of skis to tune) if going with the AFC vs. the AFL. Given both units are costly, and I'm a big believer of get the right tool and only buy it once, effectively wondering if the ability to calibrate and the 0.1* increments is worth while or simply overkill for my purposes and something I'll be paying for but will never use....Also looks like the AFL has the metal guide rails and the AFC not being quite as well finished in this regard (uses flat machine base vs. round rails)

I know a few guys on here have the Protek and have heard nothing but good things. So it's an option as well. I just know a few more guys up here with the Snow Glide....and they all have the AFL.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, even though the Protek can be adjusted to micro degrees, i always use it at the whole (3 or4 degree) angle. That way i can finish off with a standard edge tool and a 1000 grit diamond. However the quality of construction is a more important consideration that you will need to decide on based on your anticipated use. IIRC calibrating and setting up the AFL is a bit of a PITA.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting question regarding the increments. I coach junior racers and at some point depending on the child, we go from 2 to 3 degree side bevel. Since most are hand tuning , they pretty much have to go straight to 3. It would be nice to try a kid first on 2.5 and see how that works for them before going to 3. For me, I have all my race skis with 3 degree. But since I don't actually race, I might want to try 2.5 to see if it was adequate grip since it would not dull as fast. Us coaches don't like to tune our own skis very often !
So, I do think there is a value to being able to set an edge grinder in increments, like the Protek at a better price, and not just whole degrees.

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting view on the increments.
I too tune in in whole degrees but was thinking along the lines of anything adjustable will eventually move out of calibration. Something those of us with fixed bevel guides don't need to worry about but also the same reason very few of us recommend the "adjustable" bevel guides.

No doubt the machine is going to be well built, but given it's still adjustable I have concerns when not being able to calibrate it (eg AFC)....in addition that the build quality is a bit different. Not that those slight fractions matter to me, but there is a reason I bought the better SVST bevel guide vs. something that could be purchased for a tiny fraction of the cost of the SVST.

The AFL does have the ability for the user to calibrate, but also said to be a bit more delicate. Thinking I will give Thor a call and get some thoughts straight from the source.

Sean florian

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The ProTek grinder is infinitely adjustable with a very durable serviceable construction. It is much less than either snow glide model and the wheels are all double sided and also cost less than snow glide wheels. It also throws very little dust compared to all other grinders. Contact ProTek if you have more questions.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting view on the increments.
I too tune in in whole degrees but was thinking along the lines of anything adjustable will eventually move out of calibration. Something those of us with fixed bevel guides don't need to worry about but also the same reason very few of us recommend the "adjustable" bevel guides.

No doubt the machine is going to be well built, but given it's still adjustable I have concerns when not being able to calibrate it (eg AFC)....in addition that the build quality is a bit different. Not that those slight fractions matter to me, but there is a reason I bought the better SVST bevel guide vs. something that could be purchased for a tiny fraction of the cost of the SVST.

The AFL does have the ability for the user to calibrate, but also said to be a bit more delicate. Thinking I will give Thor a call and get some thoughts straight from the source.

I fully agree on using only fixed side bevel guides and would never get an adjustable. For hand tuning, I also swear by SVST
IMG_6532.JPG

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never used the Snowglide in question, but I'll offer a couple thoughts. First, the AFC is whole degrees only, but I'm pretty sure Verdonk can and does calibrate the units. If it gets out of spec, send it in. Spend the savings on grinding media.

Second, not only do I think half degrees are unnecessary outside of elite levels, I think it's a bad idea. If you're concerned 3* is to aggressive, just don't make the edge as sharp. I think it is far more important that other people can tune your kids' skis or a coach can run a stone over the edge at a race if necessary. I keep 2, 3 and 4 degree angle guides in my start bag.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
To Sean's point, The adjustment on the protek is very straightforward and reliable. After 4 years mine is still accurate in the selected setting.