• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Duck Ropes to ski run being blasted -- Pay the price.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'd keep the local teens off snow for the rest of the season. Strong message. But my fear would be that they would do something even more stupid in the backcountry. Glad to see some action, though!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
As a five-year 'clean' member of rope-duckers anonymous (went cold turkey after a chat with a patroller during a long gondola ride) I applaud the stricter enforcement.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Why? Seriously, why duck the ropes that are designed to protect the skier?

The level of stupidity and arrogance here and in other cases that are publicized and non-publicized is unreal. Ski Patrol works hard to ensure the safety of all who ski an area. Regardless of the area's size, I like to believe that Ski Patrol is there to enhance visitor enjoyment by keeping the visitor safe.

Lucky kids........

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Where Darwin meets Personal Finance.

The day a mortar hits a skier who ducked the ropes is the day blasting as avalanche prevention... and public access to terrain that fun or sketchy depending on snow stability ends..

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

The day a mortar hits a skier who ducked the ropes is the day blasting as avalanche prevention... and public access to terrain that fun or sketchy depending on snow stability ends..

Well, I disagree. First of all, public access to the terrain was already denied (by putting the rope in place). Secondly, if the skier had ducked the rope and was blown up by the blast -- that would not END the practice of avalanche blasting, setting of ropes, etc....

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
In addition to being a violation of law and common sense, it is disrespectful and selfish.
Poaching is stealing.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe just a little better signage:

Warning_Back_County_Skiers_sign__Snowmass.jpg

ogwink

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Photoshopped location?

Berthoud Pass. Here's the original image from Wikipedia:

Warning_Back_County_Skiers_sign%2C_Berthoud_Pass.jpg

Those signs don't seem to deter backcountry skiers on Berthoud Pass, but they can count on CDOT closing the road for blasting.

I'm surprised Snowmass doesn't take the same approach of only blasting easily accessible terrain when the area is closed. I can't think of many places it would be as easy to sneak into while the lifts are spinning.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If I was ski patrol I'd set up a public stocks near high profile rope drops and lock every poacher they catch in it so those who have had rope drop delayed further by the jackasses can show their appreciation.

It's not just dangerous it's a big FU to those who wait patiently for the Chinese Downhill.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well, I disagree. First of all, public access to the terrain was already denied (by putting the rope in place). Secondly, if the skier had ducked the rope and was blown up by the blast -- that would not END the practice of avalanche blasting, setting of ropes, etc....

Disagree back.. If a 10 year old kid was blown up by a mortar lauched by patrols in an area that is TEMPORARILY closed for avy mitigation I would bet that the resort would end up just closing that area to all skiers all the time. They might still do avy mitigation with explosives in permanantly closed areas like places to ensure the access road stays clear. But, the day someone gets blown to bits over making terrain skiabe for skiers is the day that public outrage will demand that practice end and those sketchier terrain places stay closed to the public, lift ticket, resort skiing in bounds public..

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cheap price when you could have been blasted to bits.

The two locals lost their season passes, at least for now. Agree it's still cheaper than losing a limb or more, but not cheap.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Captain hyperbole on deck! :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't feel one bit sorry for them. It's less than they deserve.
THIS!!

If it's abundantly clear to all people that the area is currently a blast zone and people go in anyway they're ruining it for everyone. If they can't keep idiots out of those areas as needed to properly maintain them and keep us all safe the resort will have to just close them to everyone whenever they are remotely unstable..

Sponsor

Staff online