• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Breathing is good
Hi Doug, I don't think we've met and not sure if you saw my post, but I did similar and maybe a little worse damage 5 weeks ago yesterday. My dirt bike (motorcycle) crash broke clavicle and 4 ribs. They let me drive myself home the first night, but when I returned the next day for a followup X-ray, they sent me to Emergency. Then they kept me in hospital the next three nights after putting a one-way valve with suction for a couple of days to prevent pneumothorax causing a lung collapse. I still have a little bruising on some of my pectoral muscle, but I think the bones are well on their way to healing. I've hurt ribs worse on ski trips the last two seasons without going to Dr. but think after this experience I will get checked out if I ever hurt ribs again.

For me, the first 7-10 days were the worst and it took a lot of Percocet to get through it. Norco did not do cut my pain enough. It took IV morphine on top of Norco to get out of bed at hospital without sending pain level to 9. After release, I probably did a little too much too soon as we had some concert tickets and went to other events and they would leave me tired and sore. Going out one night was OK, but two or three in a row may still be too much. And I'm not cleared to go to altitude for another week or so.

Hopefully all your damage is on the same side as breaking ribs on one side and clavicle on the other would make getting up even more difficult and painful than all being on one side. One recommendation that I'm glad I took was to have a hospital bed delivered the day I got out of hospital as it is very difficult to get up only using one side and being able to raise the head of the bed and pulling on rails on side of bed helps a lot. I still am not comfortable laying on either side, but have progressed to walking both dogs at once when needed after not walking them for more than 2 1/2 weeks.

4ster said:
It happens so fast & usually where we least expect it.
QFT
+1

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aug 5, 2017

Hi MR:
It's Mr. Captain America and we have the proof -
20150704_101451.jpg

:thumb:
:D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs I feel ya.
I'll give you the advice that others gave me on Epic when I posted about broken ribs and clavicle 6 years ago.
Don't laugh, don't cough and for goodness sake, don't sneeze!
In about a month you'll be able to laugh and cough but sneezes will still hurt.
In about 2 months you'll forget that you had broken ribs, and something will remind you.
In a year you'll finally be able to forget about it.
*When I broke my ribs, @Philpug took me to the Rib Cook Off. NOT COOL!

Heal well and breathe easy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, and the most comfortable chair for me was one of these - Zero Gravity Camp Chair
I liked it because I could lean it back using my feet and it took pressure off my ribs and shoulder..
71V9UbT4j3L._SL1000_.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh, and the most comfortable chair for me was one of these - Zero Gravity Camp Chair
I liked it because I could lean it back using my feet and it took pressure off my ribs and shoulder..
71V9UbT4j3L._SL1000_.jpg

I liked this one for my knee, too. And, er, actually, just in general - super comfy.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
71V9UbT4j3L._SL1000_.jpg
They are also great for making margaritas disappear.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Monty Python marathon for your recover?