• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Just curious because I've had a pair of Hestra mittens for a few years and they don't seem as warm as they used to be. Perhaps I'm just getting old and wimpy though.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
I imagine the insulation is less effective over time as it shifts around, packs together, gets wet and then dries out.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just curious because I've had a pair of Hestra mittens for a few years and they don't seem as warm as they used to be. Perhaps I'm just getting old and wimpy though.

I had the same question the other day. I "fluffed" up my BD mitt liners the other day in the dryer for a few minutes mostly to freshen them up since I had not removed them in a while. They seem fine. But integrated gloves like Heftras Alpine Pro leather have a combination of foam "insulation" and fleece liner sewn in with the leather and I guess the foam can pack out somewhat.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I just emailed Hestra customer support for accurate information.

@ATLSkier can you post up the model of glove you are referencing?

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
All insulation wears out, but gloves are probably the fastest to go. They all try and create a lofted insulated space to regulate heat transfer. Some are better than others, but eventually the air will always go out of the balloon. Fluffing can help revive some loft, but it works better in more open soft goods like a jacket.

Synthetic fleece is going to be your toughest and most durable. But the fleece will eventually pill or clump and finally just wear thin from the abrasive action of rubbing up to your hand.

Synthetic puffers like PrimaLoft work great on the back side of your hand. The light and airy space they create would just get crushed in your palm. It also does no absorb water, which is key when your hands sweat. However, synthetic lofted insulation is short lived. The delicate fibers creating the airy matrix will break, twist together, or clump from oils left over from your sweat.

Fleece palm and synthetic lofted backer is the most popular option and usually the best bang for your buck. But they won’t last forever and will get progressively colder.

Down in gloves is warmest and the down feathers are more durable then synthetic lofted fibers. But the downsides of down are just exaggerated in gloves. Down, even treated, will absorb sweat and loose loft, and then hold on to all the oils and dirt it gets and then be hardest to clean. You want down when short term warmth is needed above all else, but it has too many drawbacks in gloves.

The best you can do is use a good pair of glove liners that you can replace. Then invest in gloves with replaceable liners. They will wear, but be cheaper than a new glove.

The problem with glove insulation packing out so easily is why cheap brands like Kinco and Flylow are so popular. You don’t feel bad just getting a new pair.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes. The secret to insulation is air. It is not the material that insulates but the air trapped by the material. All the insulating materials (from fleece to lofted synthetics to down) work by keeping a layer of air between your body and the elements. As gloves are worn, this material can get packed down or degraded to the point where it no longer retains as much air which will reduce its insulating capability.

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I had no idea the liners of my gloves were removable/replaceable. Learn something new everyday. Thanks all.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I had no idea the liners of my gloves were removable/replaceable. Learn something new everyday. Thanks all.

I'll send you the phone number to my favorite bar and you can beer me :)

BTW- you have a very cool looking dog.

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll send you the phone number to my favorite bar and you can beer me :)

BTW- you have a very cool looking dog.

Greatest pup I have ever owned. Six month old Border Collie. This picture is from his first snow last month. Will gladly beer you! How about at Mahogany Ridge? Love that place.

Reactions: Ron

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The adhesives inside them bonding the lining to the insulation also wear out, especially when they get soaked.. Gets to the point when taking them off turns the lining inside out.. Really a bummer when that happens..

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Greatest pup I have ever owned. Six month old Border Collie. This picture is from his first snow last month. Will gladly beer you! How about at Mahogany Ridge? Love that place.

lol, not necessary, btw- try Barley, Storm peak, Mountain Tap or Butcher Knife

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
lol, not necessary, btw- try Barley, Storm peak, Mountain Tap or Butcher Knife
I don't get to Steamboat very often, but my wife goes there on a girls trip every year. I will make sure she checks these out.

Reactions: Ron

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
For insulated GLOVES, I find the warmest service after the "tighness" of the insulation has "packed out". That airspace between skin and glove insulation is worth more than the air space within the insulation.

I usually wear new gloves while driving to the mountain for several days before putting them into service on the mountain.

Kinko has all the selection I need.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. "cold day gloves" turn into "warmer day gloves" long before the glove leather wears out. I try not to use a newer pair if I think they will get wet as that speeds up the pack out process.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January