• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Descision Help - Fischer RC4 The Curv Ti - Head Supershape i.Magnum - Atomic Redster X7

WhiskySnowy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey guys, let me give you some backstory
I'm 15 but im 6'4" and about 210. I've been renting skis for ages because I am still growing
However, i think that it is about time that i get myself a pair of skis.
My ski buddy is in the Jiminy Peak Race Team, and I took his skiing style and i have converted to a short and long carver
As well, I am no "scaredy cat" when it comes to speed (eg: 65 mph last weekend - ski tracks)
I prefer to have a bit of a shorter ski (160-170) for shorter turning radii. (This year I am running a rented old pair of 2015 salomon x-drives at 161cm)
Really, I am debating between three skis:
- The Fischer RC4 The Curv Ti at 164cm
- The Head Supershape i.Magnum at 163cm
- The Atomic Redster X7 at 163cm

I would like to know, you amazing, helpful testers out there, what you think of these three skis in comparison to one another.

Thanks in advance
WhiskySnowy

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All good skis. You'll probably get some good advice on each one's specifics from @Philpug, @epic, @Scot43 and others.

My comment would be that those are one length too short for your size, unless you're on a very short hill/mountain.

In any event, you will be blown away by any of these compared to just about any rental ski!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Definitely go one size up...even at Jiminy.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
On the Curv Ti I'd definitely go longer if I were you. That ski will have a pretty short turn radius in that length (actually, they all will) which doesn't really sound like the safest thing for a guy that wants to ski really fast. With solid technique they will make fine short turns in the longer lengths.

TS
WhiskySnowy

WhiskySnowy

Skier
Ok, the general sound seems to be that of going longer. In that case, i would up it to about 171 on the curvs 168 on the x7s and 170 on the magnums.
Just another q, which one seems to be the most "fun" in your opinions? Like, snappyness and poppyness. I've read around that the curvs are not as snappy and lively as the old model, more planted and less chatter. Is this true?

Thanks again,
Whisky

TS
WhiskySnowy

WhiskySnowy

Skier
If you like to ski fast, why not the Fischer WC RC in a 180 cm length?
I do like to ski fast, but not that fast. I'm going to ask my ski buddy if i can test his fischers this weekend so I can get a feel for the difference and understand what I'm looking at. Also, im on quite the budget, so a full blown race ski would not be the way to go for me.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It feels very connected to the snow, very good on groomed and hard snow, too stiff for moguls, not for short turns, but great for 35 mph and over. Not an off-piste or deep snow ski, but great anywhere else. If you do both short (i.e. SL) turns and longer (GS) turns, you may be better off with a version of the Curve (but SL turns don't really come into it at a mile a minute speeds).

If you have a budget, buy used, but check the bindings for indemnification. Lot's of folk buy shiny new skis and don't use them much then sell them for very little cash.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah I am your weight and anything under 170 sounds scary to ski on and anything under 180 sounds scary to ski on fast.

TS
WhiskySnowy

WhiskySnowy

Skier
It feels very connected to the snow, very good on groomed and hard snow, too stiff for moguls, not for short turns, but great for 35 mph and over. Not an off-piste or deep snow ski, but great anywhere else. If you do both short (i.e. SL) turns and longer (GS) turns, you may be better off with a version of the Curve (but SL turns don't really come into it at a mile a minute speeds).

If you have a budget, buy used, but check the bindings for indemnification. Lot's of folk buy shiny new skis and don't use them much then sell them for very little cash.
Yeah that was my thinking (ie looking at the curv) because I like to do both. Which one would you say is the better curv (Ti/DTX/GT)
Also, in that range, do the Atomics/Heads compare or are they in a different league?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I have the Curv and the Curv GT. I have skied the Curv DTX but never been on the Ti. I'd recommend the DTX because if the straighter shape than the Ti. 171 will be a good length for a guy that wants more short turns on a smaller hill. But the 178 would be a good choice too.

TS
WhiskySnowy

WhiskySnowy

Skier
I have the Curv and the Curv GT. I have skied the Curv DTX but never been on the Ti. I'd recommend the DTX because if the straighter shape than the Ti. 171 will be a good length for a guy that wants more short turns on a smaller hill. But the 178 would be a good choice too.
Perfect! Sounds great. Just is there a place to find used skis? Also, I'm going to be trying my father's Rossi Pursuit HP's and I will try to get some runs in with my buddy's SL RC4's.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Something to consider is the description of the hill where you will do most of your skiing. For a 250' vertical bump, you are far better off with a short (165 cm) SL radius (13 m) carving ski; by the time you get the gs ski up to speed you will only be able to make a couple of turns.. For a 750 ish foot vertical hill you'll probably be better off with an 180+ cm carver with an 18 or more m turn radius; you will end up skiing too fast for what the SL was designed for and the ski will be wasted on you, unless you slam on the brakes every couple of hundred feet of vertical. 350' ish vertical choose the compromise ski.

For good places to buy, if you were in Waterloo Ontario I would suggest a ski shop that has consignment sales. Maybe there is a similar store near you. Also flea bay. Another thing to consider is new, but leftover from previous years skis.

Sponsor

Staff online