• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Degradation of skins over time?

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Is there a shelf life on skins?

I have a pair of G3 Alpinist skins that I bought about five years ago and while I only rarely tour anymore, I've noticed that they seem to be stickier than I remember. They leave a sticky film all over my hands and even on the bottom of my skis (it comes off when I ski, or if I let it air dry or whatever). But I just don't remember having this issue after I bought them, of course it has been five years.

So, is this normal? Is this something that happens to the adhesive on the skins as they age? Or, is it all just in my head?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
It's normal if they haven't been stored in a cool dry place.

I have G3 skins I forgot in the garage this summer. That was a mistake.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I've got a set of G3 skins for a pair of Reverends.
I don't get to use them much at all.
The glue is acting the same as the OP describes.

'Just keep using them 'till they won't stick to the bases at all? (I'm not planning any "skin out or die" adventures ;-)

TS
kimmyt

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
OK. Thanks for the input guys. Any idea how to tell when skins are done and need replaced? Is it just when they stop sticking? I've kept them in a room temperature place, not warm but not cold. Not sure if I could find a place to store them thats any colder except the fridge :rolleyes:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any idea how to tell when skins are done and need replaced? Is it just when they stop sticking?

We were discussing this yesterday - I think also when the glue starts getting left behind on the ski is also a good indicator that skins need to be reglued. At least, that's what I got out of the conversation.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
What do you re-glue a skin with?

We were discussing this yesterday - I think also when the glue starts getting left behind on the ski is also a good indicator that skins need to be reglued. At least, that's what I got out of the conversation.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there a shelf life on skins?

I have a pair of G3 Alpinist skins that I bought about five years ago and while I only rarely tour anymore, I've noticed that they seem to be stickier than I remember. They leave a sticky film all over my hands and even on the bottom of my skis (it comes off when I ski, or if I let it air dry or whatever). But I just don't remember having this issue after I bought them, of course it has been five years.

So, is this normal? Is this something that happens to the adhesive on the skins as they age? Or, is it all just in my head?
Don’t you get wrinkly and stick with age :huh:;)

Sponsor

Staff online