• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Decisions Decisions.....a 99 or a 114?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
May get a 93 for touring or teley. Probably the former.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not reading the whole thread. But I noticed that the options referenced an allmountain ski for the gathering.

I have a 108 ski nordic a el capo and a monster 98. These are both allmountain skis for ut. I ski the nordic more because the snow usually is good enough and they do better in the steeps feathering turns for me. But the heads are better a week+ after a storm and ski much better in the front side and lower in the mountain.

10X skis are every day skis in UT especially if your gathering days include multiple runs off the hi-T at alta, cirque at the bird, and sampling the upper mountain gates at snowbasin. It sounds like the soul is the wrong flex and wrong shape for you. Get something with a more low rocker, more stiffness and more directional conventional shape in a 10X size range. Done done.

Last edited:
TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not reading the whole thread. But I noticed that the options referenced an allmountain ski for the gathering.

I have a 108 ski nordic a el capo and a monster 98. These are both allmountain skis for ut. I ski the nordic more because the snow usually is good enough and they do better in the steeps feathering turns for me. But the heads are better a week+ after a storm and ski much better in the front side and lower in the mountain.

10X skis are every day skis in UT especially in LCC. It sounds like the soul is the wrong flex and wrong shape for you. Get something with a more low rocker, more stiffness and more directional conventional shape in a 10X size range. Done done.
I really like the Soul in powder. Haven't been fortunate enough to have them out in anything over boot deep yet. It's on piste and in chopped up piled up piste runs at any kind of speed where its weaknesses become painfully obvious. My main thought wasn't the Gathering so much as it is having a really good all mountain ride that is competent everywhere. The HDT tech in the Renouns should be quite interesting. From everything I've read and the people I've talked to, this ski should suit me perfectly. It's ability to adapt its stiffness should make it the most versatile ski in its waist range.

With all that said, I am still looking at a 112 to 115 deep days set of skis. The pair that has my attention are the Moment Deathwish at 112x190. That would be my done and done.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
K, thanks for the clarification. I think more towards the narrower end then is a good call. Hope you like the renouns. I hardly ever use a wider ski than 108 at snowbasin. I have a pair of dps 112rp that rarely see time in snow lately. Maybe if I bought a bodacious type ski I would spend more time on them.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
@PisteOff, congrats to you. Great set up. Looking forward to reading your on snow review after you get out West this year. Enjoy!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like the Soul in powder. Haven't been fortunate enough to have them out in anything over boot deep yet. It's on piste and in chopped up piled up piste runs at any kind of speed where its weaknesses become painfully obvious. My main thought wasn't the Gathering so much as it is having a really good all mountain ride that is competent everywhere. The HDT tech in the Renouns should be quite interesting. From everything I've read and the people I've talked to, this ski should suit me perfectly. It's ability to adapt its stiffness should make it the most versatile ski in its waist range.

With all that said, I am still looking at a 112 to 115 deep days set of skis. The pair that has my attention are the Moment Deathwish at 112x190. That would be my done and done.

I'm also interested in your thoughts following your week here. Honestly, I get kinda confused when someone with some race background tolerates Soul 7-s, although that associates with the initial, soft version I demoed. Haven't been on subsequent versions.

As far as deep day skis...I've ordered a set of Moment Bibby/Blister Pro-s. Same skis, one with vomit graphics, the other adult. If you're looking at the Deathwish you might also consider the Bibby/Blister. If you do go Moment you'd get a 10% discount and free shipping with a Blister membership.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm also interested in your thoughts following your week here. Honestly, I get kinda confused when someone with some race background tolerates Soul 7-s, although that associates with the initial, soft version I demoed. Haven't been on subsequent versions.

As far as deep day skis...I've ordered a set of Moment Bibby/Blister Pro-s. Same skis, one with vomit graphics, the other adult. If you're looking at the Deathwish you might also consider the Bibby/Blister. If you do go Moment you'd get a 10% discount and free shipping with a Blister membership.

I've been looking at the Armada Tracer 118 CHX for a deep day ski......... I think the Blister Pro would be too stiff and the Deathwish looks good but I want something a bit wider with my next ski down being a 98. And yes, I still have the Soul's to ride.....which are a great powder ride. Considering passing the Souls to my teenage son for his powder boards.....

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been looking at the Armada Tracer 118 CHX for a deep day ski......... I think the Blister Pro would be too stiff and the Deathwish looks good but I want something a bit wider with my next ski down being a 98. And yes, I still have the Soul's to ride.....which are a great powder ride. Considering passing the Souls to my teenage son for his powder boards.....
I have no answers when it comes to powder skis so I'm resigned to some experimentation. Powder days are precious I want to explore the options. The Enforcer 100-s have given me a sense of what I like in a powder ski, the DPS some pluses and minuses. I might end up with something 108-ish for my deep ski but I'm going to try something wide first.

The Armadas sound interesting. Hope to see them in action at the Gathering. And as for the Soul 7-s, if you like something, anything, they're keepers.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A heads up for those considering purchasing a pair of Head Kore skis, be they 93, 105, or 117, don't spend too much time "considering" or you will be left waiting until next year. The distributors in Canada and the USA are sold out, so whatever skis are in the stores represents the total of what is available as there are no re-orders.

When I phoned the Head rep for western Canada last Sept he said he was averaging about a call/day from either shop employees looking for a ski for themselves or a shop looking to re-order, and he has had to turn them all down due to a lack of availability. The Kore ski series has been the most successful ski launch in Head's history. Probably helped by the Powder Magazine ski testers unanimously voting the Kore 105 the Ski of the Year.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ My Head guy said the same thing as @Dano mentions above, but he also said there are rumblings of another production run.

But just rumblings at this point.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
^^^ My Head guy said the same thing as @Dano mentions above, but he also said there are rumblings of another production run.

But just rumblings at this point.

What I got from my Head rep was that the 2019 Kore models might be in ski shops in early Feb. 2018. IMO it would be a mistake to make any changes.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 105 could be a nice experiment. I'd have quiver stepping on each other's toes but this is Utah.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
When I phoned the Head rep for western Canada last Sept he said he was averaging about a call/day from either shop employees looking for a ski for themselves or a shop looking to re-order, and he has had to turn them all down due to a lack of availability. The Kore ski series has been the most successful ski launch in Head's history. Probably helped by the Powder Magazine ski testers unanimously voting the Kore 105 the Ski of the Year.

If all these shops that want to reorder had listened to @Philpug, they would not be in this position right now. He anticipated this shortage months ago.
When will these dealers learn that all the information that they will ever need is right here on this blog :hail:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Just observing, this is much like the rollout year for the Enforcer 100, other than the Enforcer as I recall was introduced in pretty good volume the spring before. So even more people had skied it and reviewed it.

Basically, the skis "look" great, the dimensions are what are selling, the brand had followers, and.....the on snow reviews are good. BOOM!

I remember when dealers were pretty much in the same place with Nordica, but perhaps a month later. I think the warehouse was empty of 177cm and 185cm by Thanksgiving, then of the bookend sizes a couple of weeks later. Certainly all gone by Christmas.

I'd think that Head would be contemplating another run of skis, or has one in the works. I'd say no chance of the skis being changed for next season, so why not build more now? When a ski is selling like this, it's a windfall for dealers, and they have no doubt been pushing Head. Not having in demand product is frustrating for retailers. Particularly when people walk in and want to buy "that ski."

It's a "great problem" to have, BTW!

Sponsor

Staff online