• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski the volkl katanas, reverse, 112 under foot. It carves well, even on firm.

Reactions: BC.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
There are many, many problems with that image and as you say the inside hand and shoulder are a problem. But that much bend in the knees might be desirable in a flex to release transition, in the middle of the transition (when skis are weightless), it would just need to be followed by a pullback to recenter. One of the big problems I see, is that for this person who has really, really long femurs, is that it would take a massive recentering pullback to get her out of the backseat.

The red above is true, but it applies to the transition when the skier is making a short radius turn.

This image does not show the skier in transition, and she's not making a short turn. Look at the snow spray coming off the tails, and look at the pitch of the hill behind her. The way the skis are pointing shows that she's not at the top of the turn. The skis are just past the fall line. Her body is mostly square to the skis at this point; it doesn't look like this is going to be a short turn because she's not countered.

The skier is using upper body rotation (her left arm rotating across the body) to pull her skis around, and she's aft.

She needs to use upper body rotation because she's back on the tails; they are not going to create a circular path on their own. This turn is probably going to be effective since the snow is soft enough to give way as she pulls her skis around and rides those tails as they brush outward from having all the weight on them.

Upper body rotation is a powerful tool, and can solve the back-seat issue. But it's a terrible tool if it's the usual approach, which it may be for this skier. That looks like spring snow and the skier is lightly dressed. That snow should be easy to turn in.
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 5.02.37 PM.png

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That looks like spring snow and the skier is lightly dressed. That snow should be easy to turn in.

I've seen snow like that be rock hard. Well, not just seen, but felt.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
The red above is true, but it applies to the transition when the skier is making a short radius turn.

This image does not show the skier in transition, and she's not making a short turn. Look at the snow spray coming off the tails, and look at the pitch of the hill behind her. The way the skis are pointing shows that she's not at the top of the turn. The skis are just past the fall line. Her body is mostly square to the skis at this point; it doesn't look like this is going to be a short turn because she's not countered.

The skier is using upper body rotation (her left arm rotating across the body) to pull her skis around, and she's aft.

She needs to use upper body rotation because she's back on the tails; they are not going to create a circular path on their own. This turn is probably going to be effective since the snow is soft enough to give way as she pulls her skis around and rides those tails as they brush outward from having all the weight on them.

Upper body rotation is a powerful tool, and can solve the back-seat issue. But it's a terrible tool if it's the usual approach, which it may be for this skier. That looks like spring snow and the skier is lightly dressed. That snow should be easy to turn in.
View attachment 34169
In (at least one) technical model that uses a flex to release transition that level of flexion could be appropriate no matter the size of the turn.

Mostly I was just struck by the relative proportions of her femurs/torso/lower legs and was aware that they will have a profound effect on the mechanics of her skiing.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I've seen snow like that be rock hard. Well, not just seen, but felt.
It was like that one morning last spring. I was afraid my granddaughter would have serious trouble with it, but she just blew through it like it was no big deal. It was her fifth day ever. I was impressed. I was sure she'd be tentative and cautious, or even get knocked down by it, but she handled it like a pro.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It was like that one morning last spring. I was afraid my granddaughter would have serious trouble with it, but she just blew through it like it was no big deal. It was her fifth day ever. I was impressed. I was sure she'd be tentative and cautious, or even get knocked down by it, but she handled it like a pro.

Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss. I think this is why kids do so well learning sports at a young age - they have no imagination for consequences.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss. I think this is why kids do so well learning sports at a young age - they have no imagination for consequences.
That's exactly where she was coming from, and I wasn't about to bring up the term "death cookies". That would have ruined everything. There's our answer for paralyzing fear. Become a ten-year-old mentally.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm so happy to report that I skied Targhee again this weekend. If you've skied there, you know that the blue terrain is pretty steep, then there's the bunny hill, and not much in between. I was struggling on Saturday with the usual, but did OK and was making some progress with confidence. Still, a lot of frustration with my right side in particular. It's been one of those, "SOMETHING'S not right, and I can't explain it!" things. Well, we decided to mess with my cuff alignment (which was set last season with new boots, and rechecked, to what is supposed to be neutral for me.) We moved it back to neutral for the boot, and WOW! I could instantly feel the difference, even on flats. So, we headed to the Blackfoot lift, where the snow is typically fantastic, and also where I had a HUGE panic attack last season, and I skied it with zero issues. (The snow WAS fantastic, with a lot of wind buff, and very edgeable with a few scraped off spots.)
:daffy:
My skies were behaving much more predictably on the steeper pitches (it's pretty steep over there in general, and it's a wide open view to the bottom, and it's pretty intimidating for someone who is afraid of heights.) So, my legs were still quivering with some fear, because it's still above my comfort level on parts of it, but I DID IT AND I DIDN'T PANIC! In fact, I did it TWICE!

After that, I decided to call it good and end on a good note. Went back to the bunny hill (which actually has a few decent pitches on it) and was all smiles. It was day 4 of the season, so, no need to push the envelope too much.

Having a boyfriend ( @utahskier) who is an L3 and who has been teaching for nearly 30 years, who has the patience of a SAINT has been the best thing ever, even though when I'm frustrated (and therefore pissed) we squabble. How fortunate am I that he sticks with me, takes video after video, slows and freezes the video to analyze things, then back out we go to try something else. (My horrible stem on the right side went away by at least 50% just with the cuff change. I could release that edge so much more easily.)

Thursday, I'm getting measured for a leg length discrepancy that I've been suspicious of for years now, by a chiropractor who is a friend and also an instructor at our mountain, so, he gets it. Things feel 10X better with the cuff alignment change, but I still do hunt for that right ski edge every single turn. I know some of it's technique for sure, but it's also a chicken/egg thing.

Anyway, I know I'll still have moments where I crap my pants, and I'll have to figure out how to handle it when it comes, but I'm happy to report that it seems most of my fear was related to being out of balance in boots that were new last season.

See you all at the gathering when we're at Snowbasin! :beercheer:

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Any plans for underbinding cant? Might be of help on the wider skis.
Boots are canted. Not aware of underbinding canting. What does that accomplish that the boot canting doesn't?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Boots are canted. Not aware of underbinding canting. What does that accomplish that the boot canting doesn't?

Yet *more* range of adjustment, in addition to what you have already, with the option of doing different things to different skis (e.g. more on wider ones).

Next off season, do consider a skatey type sport. Stronger abductors and adductors never hurt. :D

Last edited:
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yet *more* range of adjustment, in addition to what you have already, with the option of doing different things to different skis (e.g. more on wider ones).

Next off season, do consider a skatey type sport. Stronger abductors and adductors never hurt. :D
Got it. We'll see how things go this season. I'm pretty excited about how things went this weekend.
I LOVE skating, but the last time I did it, it really bothered the balls of my feet. I think it's worth revisiting again. It's definitely a great cross training activity.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Another thought for @AmyPJ.

I’m very “one legged” like you and have always felt like my right boot can’t retain tongue engagement as I ski it - that “falling over the boot” issue. Because of tibial bow and some hip alignment issues, my right leg pushes out a bit and the boot tongue will follow.

This has been true with injection liner, ZipFit, stock liner, booster strap, canting, etc. I decided to try the Salomon QST 130 Pro due to the buckle system (designed off their trail running shoes) and more specifically the Endofit tongue where the liner tongue attaches to the fixed shell tongue along with the cam strap for the upper strap instead of Velcro.

This design has been a revelation for me and out of the box far superior to anything I’ve been able to achieve with custom boot work. The fixed tongue along with how it slopes along the instep gives me consistent snug pressure from top of my toes to top of the tongue. All in a boot that weighs 1,600g and has a good hike mode. The reduced boot weight is huge and this boot has alpine downhill chops, at least for a lighter skier. I don’t know if burly guys will ever be able to ski touring weight boots inbounds full time?

I have low volume feet and a relatively high instep. I bought the QST Pro 110w for my wife who has tiny ankles and low volume feet and she was just swimming compared to her x-max 110s.

Could be a problem for you, but if Salomon is producing a low volume shell with the Endofit tongue in your size, I highly recommend giving it a try.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another thought for @AmyPJ.

I’m very “one legged” like you and have always felt like my right boot can’t retain tongue engagement as I ski it - that “falling over the boot” issue. Because of tibial bow and some hip alignment issues, my right leg pushes out a bit and the boot tongue will follow.

This has been true with injection liner, ZipFit, stock liner, booster strap, canting, etc. I decided to try the Salomon QST 130 Pro due to the buckle system (designed off their trail running shoes) and more specifically the Endofit tongue where the liner tongue attaches to the fixed shell tongue along with the cam strap for the upper strap instead of Velcro.

This design has been a revelation for me and out of the box far superior to anything I’ve been able to achieve with custom boot work. The fixed tongue along with how it slopes along the instep gives me consistent snug pressure from top of my toes to top of the tongue. All in a boot that weighs 1,600g and has a good hike mode. The reduced boot weight is huge and this boot has alpine downhill chops, at least for a lighter skier. I don’t know if burly guys will ever be able to ski touring weight boots inbounds full time?

I have low volume feet and a relatively high instep. I bought the QST Pro 110w for my wife who has tiny ankles and low volume feet and she was just swimming compared to her x-max 110s.

Could be a problem for you, but if Salomon is producing a low volume shell with the Endofit tongue in your size, I highly recommend giving it a try.
This is interesting, @nay. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to take a peak at those just out of curiosity for now.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some things are just smoke and mirrors that people claim that work. The question becomes if it works for you is it smoke and mirrors?

In short if you feel it does what is required, it is the right choice whether or not others think it is hokey, so any idea is definitely worth the look if it helps you dea with the fear.

That’s why blankies where invented in the first place ogwink.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have enjoyed reading and sharing information with this thread and each time it makes me think of the question "How much of skiing is in the head, ounce you have a fair level of proficiency"?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Probably all of it is head once you have certain proficiency, but you have to address major turn asymmetries or they will always show up in more complex terrain.

Losing tongue engagement on one side leads to reliance on the inside ski on the “bad” turn and we know how that ends up in steeps:

Stopping before the bad turn side, having to start again to make the bad turn side engage without rhythm, and then traverse bailing.

That’s not the pure subject of this thread, but it’s virtually impossible for it not to be a actor.

Stephen Witkop

switty
Skier
Thank you @AmyPJ for this post and especially the title that got my attention. This is a subject that I've never thought much about but I now realize I should have.

Although there are many great suggestions in this thread my greatest takeaway is not about tips, technique or ability level but the fact that there are times when the paralyzing fear is coming from somewhere within that may have little to do with the terrain or difficulty of what your skiing on. I have been guilty of not understanding or being as patient as I could be when my wife has been frozen on a trail she has been on before, in conditions she is normally comfortable with. Don't get me wrong I've never been mean, pushy or condescending but more of a puzzled "you've done this before" attitude that was no help at all and did nothing to add to the fun factor for either of us.

Although there is a ton of great information on how to handle difficult situations in this thread I just want to acknowledge the fact there are just some times when it is not about the actual difficulty and there is no way to "Fix It". Going forward I will be much more focused on patience and understanding when the fear doesn't make sense to me, it does to the person it is happening to.

I would also strongly suggest anyone skiing/teaching their SO read post #83 Dealing With (Paralyzing) Fear , @Muleski your wife is a saint! I needed her 35 years ago when I was even more of a dope trying to get my wife to progress and go down terrain I thought she was ready for but her, not so much.