• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Can't help but notice, page 20 of this thread. Great stuff on a most important topic.

Don Duran

Instructor / trainer / coach
Skier
If you haven't watched the NBCSN hd opening race coverage from Austria, do so!
Shiffren does an interview and recalls her Sochi GOLD MEDAL experience. Interestingly she states that in a moment of so much emotion and all the pressure, her mind was blank. Beyond that she really doesn't remember that run except for that one amazing recovery on the second run. She goes on to state she remembers feeling confident about her skiing, saying "like you have this, now you just have to do it." Talk about bullet proof confidence in her skiing! Her gold medal speaks volumes about how her preparation enabled her to trust herself enough to simply ski at her world beating best.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Remember War Games with Matthew Broderick?....what did the computer ask him?....."Do you want to play a game?".....when I get those butterflies....I hear that computer.
its the mountain taunting me with a wink.....
This resonates with me. I think I'll use it going forward.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can't help but notice, page 20 of this thread. Great stuff on a most important topic.
That says something about the importance of this topic.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I was thinking about something this morning on my way to work. Last April I went down East Falls, a black at Killington. Spring skiing all the way with the entire trail filed with spring bumps. I chickened out over entering at the lip so we went around to the side entry. This was my first season fully embracing spring skiing and the bumps that go with it. I was so focused getting down East Falls on the bumps that I apparently didn't notice how steep the trail was. Perhaps this is at least for me something that works, give me a task, something to focus on so I'm not paying attention to the anxiety that might or might not be present. I need to be able to task myself with something so I can focus on that instead of any "oh sh!it" thoughts that may enter my head.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I think I mentioned, earlier, thinking of the slope as a dance floor and using music to help actuate motions that are known well on shallower slopes, so that what is seen is not so different when steeper, and what motions are performed are not either?? Not sure I stated it that way. Anyway, searching for models of teaching and learning on YouTube, I came across this. I relate to the three points completely, especially the first -how is the transition perceived, what is felt at that time, what is that time used for

steve pickard

Putting on skis
Skier
Amy, when I first started reading this thread I couldn't think of any time I felt as you did but today when I revisited Your thread I remember the time when I really freaked and almost froze. And the odd thing is that it was at Snow Basin, your home mountain, top of the olympic downhill start. It drops off on both sides and I just got real nervous. I ended up working my way down the cat track to the left and my two sons skied down the bump filled face. After lunch, with their encouragement we went back and I was able to ski it.
This may not help but a friend told me that if I get in a place that I feel I can't handle that your good enough that you can side slip or do whatever to get down. (Know that I'm cautious enough not to go into no fall zones) I think your probably good enough to handle most situations just go back to your basics like you mentioned on your mountain bike post.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amy, when I first started reading this thread I couldn't think of any time I felt as you did but today when I revisited Your thread I remember the time when I really freaked and almost froze. And the odd thing is that it was at Snow Basin, your home mountain, top of the olympic downhill start. It drops off on both sides and I just got real nervous. I ended up working my way down the cat track to the left and my two sons skied down the bump filled face. After lunch, with their encouragement we went back and I was able to ski it.
This may not help but a friend told me that if I get in a place that I feel I can't handle that your good enough that you can side slip or do whatever to get down. (Know that I'm cautious enough not to go into no fall zones) I think your probably good enough to handle most situations just go back to your basics like you mentioned on your mountain bike post.
I went up there last season and took the cat track around. It was a chunky mess of scraped off ice and chunks of ice. I was FREAKING out!

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
For myself, fear leads to hesitation. Provided you haven't already put yourself in a dangerous position, hesitation kills confidence. Skiing without confidence leads to injuries. Before a drop or gnarly line, I blow out three big breaths and go. There can certainly be a thin line between debilitating fear and exhilarating fear. Here's an article we just posted that seems on subject by much more articulate and adventurous folks than myself:

http://bit.ly/goodfear

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For myself, fear leads to hesitation. Provided you haven't already put yourself in a dangerous position, hesitation kills confidence. Skiing without confidence leads to injuries. Before a drop or gnarly line, I blow out three big breaths and go. There can certainly be a thin line between debilitating fear and exhilarating fear. Here's an article we just posted that seems on subject by much more articulate and adventurous folks than myself:

Huh. My interest is definitely now piqued for Kristen Ulmer's book.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

What an excellent article. It kind of reinforces the fact that all the upheaval in my life over the past 18 months absolutely contributed to my heightened fear on skis--it all snowballs. Thanks for sharing!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Don! I'm going to get out there and see if the mental imagery I'm working on makes a difference. That, and the fact that life is a little more settled this year than last. :D

I have a suggestion: play this song when you start to get freaked.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a suggestion: play this song when you start to get freaked.
So, the embedded image made me think you were suggesting, "hey, when you are feeling fear, take a hit!" Made me laugh. I'd consider it, if it were legal here. Maybe a ski trip to WA is in order ;)
Hard to feel anything but HAWT when listening to that.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get to dance at Grand Targhee this weekend! :daffy:

Go say hi to Jordan in the rental shop!....The boys from Lake Wallenpaupack sent you!

Oops, sorry old post. Well, if anybody else heads to GT ths season....go say hi to Jordan.:beercheer:

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
I also joined this thread late and have only read part of the thread. But Im pretty sure I saw this happen 3 separate times to 3 separate people last year at Whistler.
I saw it happen to 3 good skiers in different situations. It was real to all 3 at the time. I thought it was interesting because all 3 were well within their abilities.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Great thread! Took a while to get through but a good use of time. I hope I keep a few of the nuggets here in my toolbox. This kind of fear is in me, more on the Mt. bike than skis but I can find it. My journey started when I was stuck in a no-fall zone and frozen for a LONG time. No one was coming, and I couldn't hike back out. A friend gave me a few pointers after that I remember to keep that paralysis at bay.

• The 3-second rule. If you stop on something intimidating, count to three and go. Three seconds is long enough to chart a route and make a plan in your head. Four seconds and you have time to grip up.
  • Do at least one kick turn in each direction as part of your warm-up every time you ski. I can't tell you how many time a confident kick turn has made something ugly into something survivable. Knowing I have this in my quiver gives me confidence.
  • Try not to sideslip, traverse or one-turn. Skiing it is usually safer and easier.
  • On steeps, reach downhill and plant your pole. I usually try to go so far that I cannot stop once this is underway. The planted pole give you a firm platform to start with, and the motion gets your body going downhill ahead of your fee.
  • Practice skiing crud and newly forming bumps in a chargy way. When you are going at it fast enough to have that realization that it might take two turns to slow this train down, it is empowering.
  • When you are on easier runs, don't look for the easiest way down, look for a challenge in drops, jumps etc where you feel confident. ie, taking that 3-5' drop off the cat track to get into a run instead of skiing to the groomed entrance. Getting comfortable in the air is a big deal confidence-wise.
  • After a big crash, I started wearing armor. It gives me confidence.

Fear is everywhere in life and facing it directly usually give better results than avoiding it.

SkiFree

Chris
Skier
  • When you are on easier runs, don't look for the easiest way down, look for a challenge in drops, jumps etc where you feel confident. ie, taking that 3-5' drop off the cat track to get into a run instead of skiing to the groomed entrance. Getting comfortable in the air is a big deal confidence-wise.
Sage advice. Always give it 100%! It is easy to relax, but it is much more gratifying to try new things and see what you can really do. I've seen 70 year olds who rip the mountain harder than most 20somethings. As the wise Yogi Berra’s should have said: ‘Skiing is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical’

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The 3-second rule. If you stop on something intimidating, count to three and go

yup, can't over think it. Years ago, I wanted to do Corbett's. Coming up to it, I was psyched. Standing at the edge, I was ready. But, I dwelled there looking. Before long, I couldn't jump in. Never been back to Jackson Hole; never had another chance.

Sponsor

Staff online