• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dammit! I demoed a Yeti SB5.5c today Anyone else see unicorns?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My two favorite rides have no cell service =/

We've got plenty of those, too. When I'm "out there" I carry a ResQ Link Personal Locating Beacon.

Pretty cool unit. It uses GPS to get rescuers close, then another frequency (the same, or related to avalanche beacons) to get them within feet.

An awesome use of the 2013 REI dividend!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We've got plenty of those, too. When I'm "out there" I carry a ResQ Link Personal Locating Beacon.

Pretty cool unit. It uses GPS to get rescuers close, then another frequency (the same, or related to avalanche beacons) to get them within feet.

An awesome use of the 2013 REI dividend!

Hrm, good point - I do have plenty of dividend (although they can be cashed out, too)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Need to get back on track:

@Ron, Yeti ordered?!

Delivery date?!

Expected date of first ride report?!

Inquiring (enquiring?) minds want to know!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Need to get back on track:

@Ron, Yeti ordered?!

Delivery date?!

Expected date of first ride report?!

Inquiring (enquiring?) minds want to know!

I thought he decided against 5.5 due to local trails? Or was that the 6 he decided against?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Can we retitle this thread "I kissed a Yeti (SB5.5c) today, and I liked it!"?

No? Just me? Okay, fine ...

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
yeti sb5.jpg
Yeti SB5 turq Xo1 ordered. My LBS is swapping out the bars and stems for enve 800's and I'm going to try Rekon 2.8s (which will seat at 2.6+). I scored a pair of closeout ibis 741 carbons (35mm I'd) paired with I9 tourquoise hubs from Fanatik ( customer service there has beyond anything else I have ever experienced). Strongly recommend this company. I will post up pics of course. The switch infinity is superb. It's kind of like a
Stockli, damp smooth but with great feedback. It's truly a different feel from other bikes.

So why the 27.5? Simple. It's the best choice for where I ride and what I want. It was actually a simple decision. Not onLy did my lbs say this was the ticket but so did a really cool guy at Yeti who rides the same trails.

5.5 and unicorns: let me say again, the 5.5 is the best bike I have ridden. (I'm not a great rider) If you ride more true enduro with few tight switchbacks and you don't mind giving up some quickness this bike is unbelievable. And yes, the roll of the 9'r is addictive and this bike just has a supreme feel.

SB5 and the 5.5. A quick look at the 5.5 vs the SB5 geo will quickly tell you the story. Other than the longer travel fork and shock, the SB5 is identical to the 5.5. The fit and balance of the bike for me is dialed. There is no perfect bike as it's just too complex. But the SB5 ticks off the boxes that are most important to me. The SB5 also will fit 2.6's (true 2.6) so that nice feel and blend of performance of that width works on this bike.

Im not the best rider but I know what I like. Demoing bikes has been a ton-o-fun and reminds me so much of demoing skis. The similarities are striking. The dims/geos don't tell you everything but they are indicative. The feel of each brand is different just as skis are. For me, the yeti just felt right. One thing that I learned is that he choice of tire, rim and psi can change a bikes feel dramatically as can how the shock has been tuned. If you demo, insist on having the shop take the time to setup the bike as intended by the manufacturer. Then if possible bring a accurate psi gauge and a tire and shock pump along to tweak out the tires and suspension on your demos.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I pick up my demo SB5 tomorrow :)

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
curious why you didnt want a Beti? does that women specific geo not work for you or is there other reason?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
curious why you didnt want a Beti? does that women specific geo not work for you or is there other reason?

I'm confused. We keep having this conversation, and I'm not sure if you have been quietly disagreeing with me or have just missed my responses.

The Beti frame is not women's specific. The frame is identical. The only differences on the Beti are crank length, handlebars, and that the rear shock is tuned for a lighter rider. Whatever that means - honestly not sure. I weigh 200 pounds. A shock tuned for a lighter rider, whatever they mean by that, does not sound like a good idea to me long term.

Fundamentally, I reject the idea that the Beti is a different bike than the straight SB5. Insofar as it actually is different, it is intended for lighter riders, which I am not. It's the same frame with a few tweaks to peripherals that, many people swap out anyway due to personal preference. That's great, but it's not a whole different bike. It does save the buyer money if they would have made those changes anyway.

Is there something you know about the Beti vs standard SB5 that I don't? Something I missed on the website or that you found out from your LBS?

All that, being said, my demo will be of the Beti, because that's the version my shop has available in small.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
ok, - yea, I see: different cranks, bars and and tune. Enjoy :)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
LOL, no worries, I know ya' well-enough Ride on and report back.

Will do! Picking 'er up this afternoon.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
choice of tire, rim and psi can change a bikes feel dramatically as can how the shock has been tuned. If you demo, insist on having the shop take the time to setup the bike as intended by the manufacturer. Then if possible bring a accurate psi gauge and a tire and shock pump along to tweak out the tires and suspension on your demos.

Quoted for truth. Specifically, for me, this invariably means letting a bit of air out of suspension and a ton out of the tires. Who rides 2.35 29ers @ 30psi ??? :huh:

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
LOL, true. Based on some other SB5 owners running Rekon 2,8's on 35ID wheels, I'm going to start at 14/15psi.

The quote I got from the Mojo demo was that 2.8s should be run at roughly 1/10 the rider's weight. Seems reasonable, although there must be a lower bound for very light riders. (12 psi seems a bit low)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Me. I run my front tire about 5 psi softer, but on the rear? I would (do) peel the tire off at lower pressure.

Okay, fair enough, but my point is that if I came into your shop and you put ME on a bike, I'd hope you wouldn't let me go out on 30psi tires.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a lot of difficulty going under 30 psi just out of old habit ... it's a mental thing.

Could one of you knowledgeable people post a rule of thumb for various situations? (Tire size + wheel size + ?? = absolute number, weight / foo, etc)

Sponsor