• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dammit! I demoed a Yeti SB5.5c today Anyone else see unicorns?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thanks, the person running the demo said they were heat affected. it was about 85* here but our sun is very strong. I could go either way on brakes but that was a huge turn-off

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I told you that switch infinity system was awesome. :thumb:.

I'd think that 5.5 is overkill for what you want and the 4.5 would be more up your alley and save you 7-8 lbs.

I'm hoping that the 4.5 2018 will take slightly bigger rear tire. If it could fit a 2.5 or even 2.4 that would be awesome.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
weight-wise, no more like 2-3 but here's the deal, the 5.5 didnt pedal or feel heavy even weighing 32 pounds which part of which were the dh aggro flat all metal pedals.

i am headed over to the lbs shortly to get on the 4.5; i am beginning to think with a good wider ID wheel and some 2.5's, it may be the ticket

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
OK, so I need the community's help!

I went back to the shop today. the owner is very knowledgeable and is a very strong rider. Knows the product extremely well. For riding up here, he has only sold a couple 4.5's and much prefers the quickness of the SB5 due to all of the switchbacks and non-straight trails. He personally rides a 5 and a SB6 but only uses the 6 for moad and Fruita.

I demoed a SB5 and really liked it. it does climb better and was even more fun in the turny banked stuff. Where it truly shined was picking through rocky stuff while climbing, it was much easier to keep the wheels turning. I was riding a Medium which is way too small for me so the down on the bike was fine but not as plush and all out crushing as the 5.5.

So, Here's the question. Do I order the SB5 or take a chance at the 4.5? He has no issue with either of course, he feels the SB5 is more fun and better on the down than the 4.5. I could also still get the 5.5 but I am concerned on steeper climbs and descents it may be a bit more to manage. Thoughts? (in the end I will make the decision but I would appreciate the collective knowledge.

BTW- the SB5 easily fits a WTB Breakout 2.5. He feels it could take a 2.6. Obviously, there's no issue up front.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
he feels the SB5 is more fun and better on the down than the 4.5.

I've ridden the sb5 and the sb4.5 back to back. The sb5 is a slightly better downhiller, if thats your priority. He's right on that. I like the 4.5 on rocky climbs (and others). Then, I like 29ers.

Honestly it sounds a bit weird if all your other choices are 29ers to be suddenly looking at a 27.5. I'd say either re-consider 27.5 as a family, or go back and remind yourself why you picked your original criteria.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hell, you being you, why don't you just fly to New England and go to nembafest with epic next weekend. Check 'em all out.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Fair enough! the SB5 has a different feel than the other 27.5's with the 150 fork and Switch Infinity, its a hoot to ride on the twisty trails and got up rock garden stuff better than the 5.5. the 5.5 still had that super smooth tank feel but the 5 was close and was much quicker in the twisty uphills and bermed up turns. My concern is the 5.5 is going to feel heavy and long once I get onto much steeper and prolonged climbs. There are many climbs here that are 4-6 miles or longer with few brakes or straight-aways.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I've ridden the sb5 and the sb4.5 back to back. The sb5 is a slightly better downhiller, if thats your priority. He's right on that. I like the 4.5 on rocky climbs (and others). Then, I like 29ers.

Honestly it sounds a bit weird if all your other choices are 29ers to be suddenly looking at a 27.5. I'd say either re-consider 27.5 as a family, or go back and remind yourself why you picked your original criteria.

so does it ride as plush? the SB5 has a real nice feel to it. Also, you can fit a 2.6 in the back

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
What Tony said x2

I've only been on a few 27.5 but I've yet to meet one that climbs as well as 29ers.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I told you that switch infinity system was awesome. :thumb:.

I'd think that 5.5 is overkill for what you want and the 4.5 would be more up your alley and save you 7-8 lbs.

I'm hoping that the 4.5 2018 will take slightly bigger rear tire. If it could fit a 2.5 or even 2.4 that would be awesome.

Ok Yetis is most likely not going to modify their bikes which just were modified this year.

a 29'r will climb better in general but not better around switchbacks or trying to climb over chunky stuff at slow speeds. A 29'r will take more energy to get it rolling. The SB5 was demonstrably better at this and quicker in the turny stuff today. There's no perfect bike! Maybe I should just wait till the fall.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
OK, I'm in the same camp with @UGASkiDawg as far as wishing the 4.5 would take a large tire, so I'll wait till I hear from @epic on what he finds next week :) Time for a beer:beercheer:

I'm really tempted to order a 4.5 but maxing out at a 2,3 is tough.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Ok Yetis is most likely not going to modify their bikes which just were modified this year.

a 29'r will climb better in general but not better around switchbacks or trying to climb over chunky stuff at slow speeds. A 29'r will take more energy to get it rolling. The SB5 was demonstrably better at this and quicker in the turny stuff today. There's no perfect bike! Maybe I should just wait till the fall.

The only thing they did this year was split the carbon to the Turq and C vs one type of carbon for 16..other than that the bikes are the same 16/17 as best as I can tell.

I don't really consider squeezing a few grams of resin and fiber out of the frame a change but maybe they do.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick question; if I go with the 5.5, I will replace the group set with xo1 (including cranks) but was considering going with xt brakes. Can you properly run the Xt Brake Seamlessly with the xo1 shifter?

Yes. Problem Solvers makes a cool little adapter. The Guides are better breaks than previous SRAMs, but they are still a PITA to bleed, compared to XTs. The "superior modulation" talk is absolutely true. In the parking lot. Under 3 or 4 mph, after which it becomes a moot point.

The Yetis are great bikes, killed for me by the lack of an accessible water bottle mounting option.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Omg you really are a racer.

A bit, certainly, but more just a disliker of packs, and uncertain why they are ever needed for anything less than a three hour ride.

And for REALLY long, hot rides, nothing beats a pack full of cool water, and a liter bottle on the bike filled with water, electrolytes, and easy energy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I gave up on water bottles years ago. Probably due to my lack of hand-eye coordination, really. Seemed like too much effort to wrangle the bottle out.

A bit, certainly, but more just a disliker of packs, and uncertain why they are ever needed for anything less than a three hour ride.

I guess it depends on your risk tolerance ...

By default, my pack has a tube, a multi tool, some bandaids, cash and the important cards (credit, id, insurance), water bladder, mini pump, C02 thingie, snacky things, eye drops, a smallish piece of duct tape, spare power link, chain tool, spare chain links, tire levers, a tiny allen wrench for my levers ... often a rain jacket, situationally also some protection (shush! I mean elbow and shin!), often Neosporin, usually some emergency "feminine hygiene" stuff (which would also double for blood absorption if necessary). And cell phone because only one of my pairs of bike shorts has a good cargo pocket.

I've only needed the various tools occasionally, but I've been able to build bike karma helping others on the trail. And when I split my chin, I was in a bit of shock, but my friend was able to clean me up a bit with water and then keep it sort of clean by applying several bandaids as we rode back (I kept bleeding through them).

This way I just grab my pack, and it's all there. I figure if I don't need it, it's weight training. If I do, it's invaluable.

YMMV, you do you, etc.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I gave up on water bottles years ago. Probably due to my lack of hand-eye coordination, really. Seemed like too much effort to wrangle the bottle out.

I guess it depends on your risk tolerance ....

You're not supposed to LOOK at the bottle or cage!

And yup, pack use definitely depends on location for me. I'm blessed in that I can do multiple 4 hour rides from my house, and never be out of cell range, PLUS, in the event of mech failure, I can typically coast 90% of the way back home!

Also, I'd likely get picked up by a shuttler that I probably knew personally within 15 minutes.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You're not supposed to LOOK at the bottle or cage!

And yup, pack use definitely depends on location for me. I'm blessed in that I can do multiple 4 hour rides from my house, and never be out of cell range, PLUS, in the event of mech failure, I can typically coast 90% of the way back home!

Also, I'd likely get picked up by a shuttler that I probably knew personally within 15 minutes.

Okay, fine, I admit - I have no coordination whatsoever!

My two favorite rides have no cell service =/

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kind of terrain around here, hard to take one hand off the bar for more than a couple seconds. We don't have fire roads to speak of. A really long straightaway on my local trails is maybe 50 meters, tops. And that is very unusual. Not to mention the rocks, stumps, ditches, etc.

Sponsor