Arizona/New Mexico Cyclone chair @ Sunrise closed this season?

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by johnny_v, Oct 29, 2017.

1. johnny_v

johnny_v At the base lodge Skier

Anyone have details?

2. Core2

Core2 Out on the slopes Skier

Where did you hear this? I haven't heard anything but wouldn't surprise me considering the age of their lifts.

3. johnny_v

I heard it when we were up there getting our season passes a couple weeks ago. Some at Ski Pro have heard the same.

4. raisingarizona

raisingarizona Putting on skis Skier

I wonder if they would still let you hike to that terrain, if so it might not be such a bad thing. The hike from the Apache Peak ski runs looks really short and easy from what I can tell and there is a service road at the bottom of the steep pitch with the three balck runs on it that takes you back to the Apache Peak lift.. You could have your own fresh lines all day long with that sort of set up. Heck, I'd rather do those private-ish laps than ride that long and slow chairlift that only accesses one good short pitch with a super long flat run out. A little hiking time is way better than chair time imho.

I also wonder how much Snowbowl is tapping into their market now.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  5. raisingarizona

D9E64C2D-4D06-4902-B315-22990C84BB24.jpeg The more I think about it this makes me almost want to go check out Sunrise for a powder day but that’s not really going to happen, not when we have lines like this in our back yard....

6. Core2

I've chased a few powder days out there and you can have plenty of fun. The negatives are the slow lifts and the fact that all the trees are technically out of bounds but the place holds powder for days after a storm. Snowbowl seems to get skied out in minutes since the new lift was put in. The only thing Sunrise has left on Snowbowl is general lack of crowds. Apache and Cyclone lifts are old af retrofitted Yan chairs that should've been replaced many years ago. If the tribe doesn't start investing soon it is going to be a sad operation out there.

raisingarizona likes this.
  7. Core2

Heard from Sunrise patrol friend they are just replacing the cable on Cyclone. He is going to get the update this weekend when he is up there.

8. johnny_v

Did you get confirmation on the cable replacement?

9. tachedub

tachedub Booting up Skier

I heard at Skipro that it didn't pass inspection. Sure would help if it were replaced with an express. The resort sure could use that kind of upgrade to boost business.

10. raisingarizona

Resort? Haha!

But seriously, you will be better off having it closed, it looks like a quick 5 minute hike from the other pod to get to the top of Cyclone and then a short and easy traverse back below the steep terrain. Now you can skip the long boring run outs and not have to ride that painfully slow chair ride. think about it, fresh tracks for a couple days after a storm.

11. Slide of Hans

Slide of Hans At the base lodge Skier

A short t-bar install to top of cyclone would at least keep "lift access".

12. Core2

Trying to get the scoop. Haven't seen my buddy since I asked him.